Snows

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Saw several hundred west of Crosby while pheasant hunting Saturday.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard they're stacking up just south of the Canadian border. Lots of huntable numbers at the moment. I'm sure the leading edge will keep pushing when the corn comes off. Otherwise we'll have to wait for some cold temps.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seen a few decent flocks on Sunday whilst coming home from Dickinson, they were around the Bowden/Fessenden area. Was surprised actually at how many were down already and quite a few young ones in the flocks it appeared. Also quite a few ducks close by that didn't appear to be locals.

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
not many up in the NW corner yet, drove east the other day and more east from Mohall to Devils Lake areas. would not consider it huntable numbers yet though.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing in north central ND yet. I saw a couple flocks of migrators push through last week when we had our first real dip into the cold weather, but since then not a flock. Doesn't mean they're not there, I just haven't seen any fly over in the evenings when i'm outside. Few local ducks but same, nothing much the last week.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard they're stacking up just south of the Canadian border. Lots of huntable numbers at the moment. I'm sure the leading edge will keep pushing when the corn comes off. Otherwise we'll have to wait for some cold temps.

That's surprising with the warmth we've had. Although the definition of "huntable" numbers of snows varies quite a bit from person to person.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A little north of Bismarck on Sat saw several small flocks of snows. By small I'm talking less than 100 and might be closer to 50 in each flock. Never did see any on the ground. For me that is certainly not huntable numbers.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seen a few decent flocks on Sunday whilst coming home from Dickinson, they were around the Bowden/Fessenden area. Was surprised actually at how many were down already and quite a few young ones in the flocks it appeared. Also quite a few ducks close by that didn't appear to be locals.

I'm awful curious as how to tell that a duck isn't a local?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's surprising with the warmth we've had. Although the definition of "huntable" numbers of snows varies quite a bit from person to person.

I hear ya. Buddy sent me a pic of a stack of snows, Canadas and mallards with the words "game on." This was last weekend. I'm not sure where he was, but it was north of DL a ways.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best flock I saw today was around 5,000 so all in all not too bad for no good fronts and a mediocre Moon condition sofar. They have been doing the double every two days thing so will be curious if it continues or if they plateau. On a side note I did see probably the worst snow goose spread of my f****** life today. The only legitimate excuse for the spread I could think of was the guy who was in it was in a wheelchair or something otherwise what the hell. The truck was well inside shotgun range the decoys were inside out old-school north winds with all heads up and a T Flagg and two flyers on a pole that looked more like something you would see on a pirate ship all next to standing corn just off the road.

Screenshot_20171018-120527.jpg

Screenshot_20171018-104638.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This was the same field at the same time. At least 3,000 out there with a definite potential to be more with how hilly it was up there the picture only shows about one-third of the flock. Over all there were guys everywhere hitting both the normally over run areas and the generally more quiet spots. This flock had at least two groups on it and every group I saw was NoDak which is a bit spooky considering MEA starts tomorrow. On a happy note the juvie count is absolutely through the roof I'm not sure I've ever seen so many.

Screenshot_20171018-182600.jpg

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just stepped out on the deck, the snows are flying over like crazy.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I miss goose hunting. I grew up in north central ND and hunted waterfowl a lot. Not many fly through down her in SW ND. If anyone has some extra 10-14 pounds of goose breast meat shoot me a message. My calendar looks full during prime goose season. :( have a goose Slim Jim recipe I want to try and make myself.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fair few migrating this morning. Nothing huge but numerous flocks of 50 to 150 up high and cruising.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty good push of birds this morning with flocks of 50 to around 500 up high and cruising south. This flock picked up around 3,000 birds most all dropping out of the stratosphere in the 15 mins I watched it with a significant amount of birds not even breaking stride and they just kept heading south. There was a slightly bigger flock about a mile away and the second pic is around 3 miles away so starting to get there. All in all the birds are acting really fidgety and are nearly impossible to pattern. Hell they don't even want to land with their own kind it seems like. I watched a flock of 75 Ross make 17 passes of a real flock before they landed and they were only 200 yards off the ground when they got there so it wasn't like they had allot of altitude to dump in the first place. Did have a blue with them thus why i watched them so close so that was pretty cool to see.

Screenshot_20171024-124650.jpg

Screenshot_20171024-104251.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 180
  • This month: 150
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92