PROPERTY TAX - Must Read

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
We do have a say in the size of house we buy and where we buy it, therefore affecting our tax obligation. If you build a 4,000 sq ft house in NW Bismarck you've just signed up for a 7k tax obligation.
so in a land with supposed freedom we our confined by being successful? on a piece of property you own you are expected to pay rent based on how big and how much if it you have? so basically we arent very free after all. i get we need to pay for things through taxes and i an definately for taxes but i just scratch my head how some here are so quick to defend the messed up taxes we have on our property. lets quit calling it property tax and start calling it successfulness rental fee for what it is. somebody please start an initiated measure again.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In my original post I stated I didn’t have a problem with assessed value. Just how it came about and then finding out that the JACKWAGON that assessed it hasn’t increased his own property value for the last 4 years. That is the problem. How can a guy assess his own damn property. By the way my property is not a residential property it is an abondoned farm with a 30x40 garage on it, it is recreational.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, you may have a very valid argument. Your garage does have a value, not as much as a livable house but a value. Same for your property, it all has a value. Your argument is how much value. The only way to know is to spend time finding similar properties and check how they are valued. I have some experience with dealing with valuation of property and mistakes are made. When pointed out with valid arguments the valuations are easily adjustable. Good Luck.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
no offense allen, but what does that really matter? they could set it at 20% and all theyd do is jack the mill levy up to get their final number. they know what they want so they tweek one side or the other. one year its appraises value the next its mills. then they take turns bragging about not raising values or mills but your taxes go up anyways. imo they take what they want anyways so market rate or mill levy what does it matter. the best part is some of these polititians think people havent figured out how they are fucking them.

Bada bing! You have hit the nail on the head there. Property taxes are not the root of the evil, it is the budgets for the respective city/county departments that drive the property tax. This is what so many people don't actually get. To end up with lower property taxes for all, show up at the county commission meetings and make your voices heard on the budgets, don't wait until you get the bill for services rendered (basically contracted for the coming year) to complain.

Valuations and/or mill levies can go up or down in any given year. The tax assessor is theoretically just supposed to spread the hurt over the county/city population based on the total value of property in that area. The concept is relatively simple, but hard to do because of lagging assessments, hurt feelers, etc. We all think our neighbor should pay more and we should pay less, that's just human.

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
Hey, hey, you guys your not supposed to be that smart as to be able figuring this out. ;:;rofl The people doing this to us, assume we are all a bunch of dumb bastards and we are not supposed to be able to figure this shit out. ;:;boozer

Too dumb to realize that only 15% of the taxes in the great state of ND is collected locally. 85% flow threw Bismarck. Not really what I would call local control. Maybe if there was actually local control these assessment would be taken more seriously and local elections would mean something.

bowhunter12

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is my understanding you can deny access to your home if an assessor comes knocking. Unless they had a court order to come in I would tell them to look from the sidewalk or street and get off my property. I’d never let them come in and look without a specific court order too

Last edited:

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
Bada bing! You have hit the nail on the head there. Property taxes are not the root of the evil, it is the budgets for the respective city/county departments that drive the property tax. This is what so many people don't actually get. To end up with lower property taxes for all, show up at the county commission meetings and make your voices heard on the budgets, don't wait until you get the bill for services rendered (basically contracted for the coming year) to complain.

Valuations and/or mill levies can go up or down in any given year. The tax assessor is theoretically just supposed to spread the hurt over the county/city population based on the total value of property in that area. The concept is relatively simple, but hard to do because of lagging assessments, hurt feelers, etc. We all think our neighbor should pay more and we should pay less, that's just human.

Assessments around the state are messed up in general. The state required mandatory training for all assessors a couple of years ago. I think a lot of the small town local type assessors "retired". Now that things are working themselves out, people are pissed.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe i already said this:

A. if your home is over accessed then hire an third party appraiser and find out what the true value is. They need to bend to the appraisel amount or you fight it. 10 to 1 they will go with it.

B. if you home is under assessed and you are bitching about it because Johny and Suzy Q homes are lower in value - then go to the county or city commissioner. Get ready though you might be re-assessed higher along with everybody else.

C. if your FMV is low on the property tax statement - keep quiet.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
as it turned out for me - once everybody else had to start paying their fair share, mine went down (because three houses were propping up the nine other under-taxed homes)

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How is agricultural land taxed??

Ag land is supposed to be taxed based on production. All ag land has a production index so land that can produce 200 bu/acre corn will be taxed higher than land only capable of producing 100 bu/acre. Granted, kind of a guess as there are other factors that affect production but it is supposed to be somewhat a fair process. I think the problem then comes up when a county commission might decide to use a lower base on ag land but insist on a higher assessment for residential (city) property. As I mentioned earlier, it's only equitable when all the rules are followed.

- - - Updated - - -

so in a land with supposed freedom we our confined by being successful? on a piece of property you own you are expected to pay rent based on how big and how much if it you have? so basically we arent very free after all. i get we need to pay for things through taxes and i an definately for taxes but i just scratch my head how some here are so quick to defend the messed up taxes we have on our property. lets quit calling it property tax and start calling it successfulness rental fee for what it is. somebody please start an initiated measure again.

And how is the property tax you consider rent any different than income tax or sales tax. The more you make the more income tax you pay. The more money you make the more you have to spend and pay more sales tax. If anyone really wants to get rid of property tax there needs to be some discussion on how to replace that tax. The only others left are income or sales taxes. Which do you want to increase.

It's easy to say that cities, schools, parks, counties, townships, etc. need to cut their budgets. Perhaps, but what do you want to do without? Cut out police, roads, fire protection? Most budgets include about 75-80% for workforce salaries. People who do the things you take for granted. Perhaps the last initiated measure on property tax would have been successful if there had been a plan on how to replace those funds.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
besides income tax ---- depending on the state -------gas tax, excise tax (on your fishing lures), luxury, sin tax on ciggys and more, road tolls, personal property taxes, oil production, oil extraction, estate taxes, gift taxes, capital gain tax.........do i need to name more. We are taxed to death!!

Did you realize that MN collects tax on what your doctor or dentist charges you, Same with cleaning services, computer services ---- SERVICES!!! yup and dayton went out and purchased that super bowl ticket.

As you can see they charged tax to services that nobody is going to send a lobby to st paul -- hospitals are not - they will just gouge your insurance company or you. they dont care. The others performing those services just get bent over.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's what I know about assessed value. According to the state laws, property is supposed to be assessed between 95% and 105% of true and full value. In most cases it is assessed a little below that. Most importantly the property needs to be assessed equitably. My 2000 sq. ft. house on a 100X150 lot should be assessed very close to a neighbor with a similar size lot and house. Walking in the house to check out the inside should have nothing to do with the assessment. ND has a property tax, not a personal property tax, there is a difference. My custom made walnut cabinets with granite counter-tops are should increase the ease of selling the house, but not the assessed value.

What you pay for your house is not necessarily the assessed value. What other similar houses in the area are selling for should have a lot to do with the assessed value.

If you think your assessed value is unfair, check out the assessed value of similar property. The info is available in the courthouse and is public information. That will give you some ammunition for your argument. Find other property and if the assessed value of those properties is close to yours you don't have much of an argument. If those properties have a lower assessed value, there is your case for a new assessment. You'll either have your assessed value lowered or you'll piss your neighbors off for increasing their valuation. If your assessed value is lower than your neighbors, keep it quiet, you're getting a good deal.

I don't have an argument with property taxes as there has to be a way to pay for the services to which we've become accustomed. The key is to make sure everyone is treated equitably and the way to start that is with fair and equitable valuations.
can you post a link to the statute regarding the 95%-105% because I've never heard of such a thing.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
And how is the property tax you consider rent any different than income tax or sales tax. The more you make the more income tax you pay. The more money you make the more you have to spend and pay more sales tax. If anyone really wants to get rid of property tax there needs to be some discussion on how to replace that tax. The only others left are income or sales taxes. Which do you want to increase.
Yeeeeessss and who is going to benefit? Not the average Joe on a salary. So you pay no property tax on your house, but it pushes up your state income tax sky being the limit. There is a sucker born every minute, and there are people salivating that we sucker for this little plan of theirs.

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be careful, Bowhunter12, pretty soon you’ll have a dossier fabricated by some rogue Russian operative in your name that will be used against you....:D

(although, as a nodakangler member yourself, I might have to believe the part about the drunk Russian strippers urinating on the hotel bed)

These JACKWAGONs in power at all levels are beyond corrupt and it takes a few good outsiders at all levels to right this ship.

Last edited:

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
It is my understanding you can deny access to your home if an assessor comes knocking. Unless they had a court order to come in I would tell them to look from the sidewalk or street and get off my property. I’d never let them come in and look without a specific court order too

You are right. However You will get a call from the assessors office informing you that if you don't let them in, they will automatically tax your property at the high rate in your area. You can't win this one. Don't ask Me how I know.;:;banghead

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
We do have a say in the size of house we buy and where we buy it, therefore affecting our tax obligation. If you build a 4,000 sq ft house in NW Bismarck you've just signed up for a 7k tax obligation.

Bfishn, Why must a person be penalized for ever for working hard, getting a education, taking a risk starting a business etc. Remember: Successful people to what non successful don't want to do. One time tax, maybe. No one should have to pay a tax forever on a home they own. I know of people that can't afford to stay in their home after retirement when income decreased. Property taxes play a big role in those decisions. THAT IS WRONG! I pay more than My share of taxes. I am tired of paying for other peoples needs!!!!!!! U want something....Earn it.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are right. However You will get a call from the assessors office informing you that if you don't let them in, they will automatically tax your property at the high rate in your area. You can't win this one. Don't ask Me how I know.;:;banghead
that sounds alot like intimidation.... definately an abuse of power imo.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33