Emily Eckroth

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Gents - folks spending alot of energy on this thread. This woman made a mistake - let the justice system do it's job. Honestly, I wake up every day and thank the Lord I'm a North Dakotan. In the big picture, seems to me our local governments (state/county/city) are far and away more transparent and ethical than most other places in the nation. Just my take...have a great week all!
Wasn't ND in the top 10 corrupt states recently? I thought I read that someplace. I will have to research.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
522602ce6bb3f715401c64df.jpeg

I think this was a ways back..might be something more recent. Regardless I agree ND is still a great state to live in. Things can always use some polishing to make it better. Alot of these stats can also probably be twisted the way the person writing wants it to look.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/most-corrupt-states-and-territories-2013-9?amp

Last edited:

Bobkat

Established Member
And your point is??? Republican is just a label. Burgum says he is a republican, as does Hoeven.....both are not conservatives. Liberal republican, probably.
My only point after reading post after post saying because she’s a total jerk she has to be a Liberal? Simply pointing out that whether some A hole is an R or D has nothing to do with their character. Why is it that every jerk or lawbreaker is invariably labeled a Liberal Democrat by most on this website no matter the truth? My point is to recognize that WRONG info is terrible when parroted along by tunnel visioned posters. That’s why I hate narrow minded party politics! It destroys positive rational unbiased thinking! Wrong info posted with zero proof needs to be identified by its other name - lies and bullshit!
Don’t worry, I post this exact same stuff on the occasional narrow minded dem websites that I sometimes blunder across! Probably makes me a RINO or a Dino, if one dares point out accurate info on the wrong narrow minded totally biased website! LOL
What’s scary is that even when correct info is posted, most still continue to believe exactly what they want to believe, no more, no less!

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My only point after reading post after post saying because she’s a total jerk she has to be a Liberal? Simply pointing out that whether some A hole is an R or D has nothing to do with their character. Why is it that every jerk or lawbreaker is invariably labeled a Liberal Democrat by most on this website no matter the truth? My point is to recognize that WRONG info is terrible when parroted along by tunnel visioned posters. That’s why I hate narrow minded party politics! It destroys positive rational unbiased thinking! Wrong info posted with zero proof needs to be identified by its other name - lies and bullshit!
Don’t worry, I post this exact same stuff on the occasional narrow minded dem websites that I sometimes blunder across! Probably makes me a RINO or a Dino, if one dares point out accurate info on the wrong narrow minded totally biased website! LOL
What’s scary is that even when correct info is posted, most still continue to believe exactly what they want to believe, no more, no less!
Pissing her pants and acting like a privelaged know it all is one thing. I think she was way beyond jerk once she proclaimed her hate for Bismarck and North Dakota. The people she is supposed to be representing.

By the way, Trump was one of the biggest jerks around! But he was my kind of jerk!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
522602ce6bb3f715401c64df.jpeg

I think this was a ways back..might be something more recent. Regardless I agree ND is still a great state to live in. Things can always use some polishing to make it better. Alot of these stats can also probably be twisted the way the person writing wants it to look.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/most-corrupt-states-and-territories-2013-9?amp

960x0.jpg

Whew, a little newer and we didn't make the top 10. Granted, they considered DC a state for purposes of the study, so we may sit at #11.

Nonetheless, one really needs to dig into the metrics for determining how they did their rankings. But there is no way I would believe we routinely end up in the top 10 without seeing the actual analysis.

Well, shiite....

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/most-corrupt-states

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
960x0.jpg

Whew, a little newer and we didn't make the top 10. Granted, they considered DC a state for purposes of the study, so we may sit at #11.

Nonetheless, one really needs to dig into the metrics for determining how they did their rankings. But there is no way I would believe we routinely end up in the top 10 without seeing the actual analysis.

Well, shiite....

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/most-corrupt-states
I mean we can’t be that corrupt..didn’t Hoeven try and get ND tax payers to pay for one of his bad investments?

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Can you refresh my memory on that one?
Without looking it all up with links etc. from what I can remember he invested a pretty big sum of money into some rail or shipping facility in or around Minot that fell through and then tried to introduce state legislation in some way and form to have ND pay the money back to him or the so called business that invested the money, that was until the media got ahold of it. There was more to it but that’s from what I can remember, it’s been a few years since this happened.

I believe it had something to do with his/his dads bank, again this is just from what I think I can remember and also may be skewed. I can remember reading something on it in the news and he would not comment on it.

The North Dakota House agreed Wednesday to fund a rail spur to help a troubled shipping center in Minot, but balked at giving more than $8 million in taxpayer money to bail out a trio of banks — including one owned by Republican U.S. Sen. John Hoeven — that obtained the facility through foreclosure.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you refresh my memory on that one?
North Dakota had a total of $15.9 million in investments with Russian exposure across the state’s Legacy Fund, pension fund and insurance pool

Florida’s Retirement System LOST over $200m in our Russian Investments

did we ever find out what was lost by ND investments supporting putin??

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
North Dakota had a total of $15.9 million in investments with Russian exposure across the state’s Legacy Fund, pension fund and insurance pool

Florida’s Retirement System LOST over $200m in our Russian Investments

did we ever find out what was lost by ND investments supporting putin??
Shhhhh don’t talk about that……just like the Hoeven thing….people forget quickly.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hoeven is a fed --- the legacy fund to my knowledge is governed by the state.
That’s correct. I was just saying in general people forget quickly when bad things happen whether it’s state related or federal.

Bobkat

Established Member
Kinda like Schafers tilapia farm by Beulah, whatever became of that
I think it was mostly his money that was lost. It was actually a not bad idea but it turned out he couldn’t hire people cheap enough to process the fish. The fish did OK but the number of humans needed to process and market them put it in the red. There were probably other problems as well, but let’s face it, some businesses just fail. Every glitch can’t necessarily be predicted.

Bobkat

Established Member
I think it was mostly his money that was lost. It was actually a not bad idea but it turned out he couldn’t hire people cheap enough to process the fish. The fish did OK but the number of humans needed to process and market them put it in the red. There were probably other problems as well, but let’s face it, some businesses just fail. Every glitch can’t necessarily be predicted.
I also heard that some bean counters point out that had Schaeffer gone to Mexico and hired willing Mexicans on a seasonal or temporary basis like many many businesses do now (mostly illegally) he would have come out fine. Americans don’t relish gutting and processing dead fish. Illegal workers would do it willingly. Can’t say this is absolutely true as I didn’t read it on the internet (LOL) but it does make some sense.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76