Genetically modified organisms

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...d-cause-environmental-disasters-10434010.html

This isn't so much about grain as other types of organisms. I think we are getting the cart before the horse by using what we have not tested. We made that mistake simply by bringing some species from other continents here. Australia is really screwed up with invasive species. Genetically modifying some could have huge affects on our natural environment. I think it's sort of like children playing with fire. How long until they want to genetically modify humans?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sign me up for some Wolverine claws!!!
wolverine-claws-armor-assemble-meet-the-batman-wolverine-claw-gauntlet-jpeg-98470.jpg

I wonder if G&F would add them to the legal weapons for deer list?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the part to worry about:

“Just as gene drives can make mosquitoes unfit for hosting and spreading the malaria parasite, they could conceivably be designed with gene drives carrying cargo for delivering lethal bacterial toxins to humans,” said David Gurwitz, a geneticist at Tel Aviv University in Israel.

Now it's not just creeps with exploding vests we have to worry about, it's mosquitos and other small insects that could spread across a continent. I have often wondered about some of the diseases we have now like West Nile Virus. How many get here by accident and how many are released. Sort of like the children's toys that come from China having crap in them.

sourisshorebound

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are asking some dangerously Intelligent questions.. Might want to be careful before Mr. Gubment decides to send some killer mosquitoes your way! :D

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the part to worry about:

Now it's not just creeps with exploding vests we have to worry about, it's mosquitos and other small insects that could spread across a continent. I have often wondered about some of the diseases we have now like West Nile Virus. How many get here by accident and how many are released. Sort of like the children's toys that come from China having crap in them.

The Chinese would NEVER poison us deliberately!!!

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's virtually not one food item in a grocery store that isn't genetically modified.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm A big fan of making useful things better however our seemingly never slowing drive to rid the world of almost every possible annoyance kind of creeps me out.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
What we should all be concerned about is DHMOs (DiHydrogen Monoxide). They put that crap on all the crops now, its used to make chemical weapons, the stuff will kill you almost instantly if you inhale it.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
What we should all be concerned about is DHMOs (DiHydrogen Monoxide). They put that crap on all the crops now, its used to make chemical weapons, the stuff will kill you almost instantly if you inhale it.

I wish I had realized earlier how awesome having a garden is.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member

It is funny in a couple of instances people readily signed a petition to ban the usage of this on all crops.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is funny in a couple of instances people readily signed a petition to ban the usage of this on all crops.

A couple???....DHMO still has people panicking across the country. I must admit, the kid who invented it is a genius.

They use that DHMO stuff to make all kinds of hazardous materials, from bleach to pesticides.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple???....DHMO still has people panicking across the country. I must admit, the kid who invented it is a genius.

They use that DHMO stuff to make all kinds of hazardous materials, from bleach to pesticides.

My favorite is when I use the dmho mixed with the fish poop in my bait tank to add to our tomatoes. Works wonders.

Last edited:

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorite is when I use it mixed with some Crown Royal...works wonders there too.

In all seriousness, meat from a polled hereford is from a genetically modified organism. If people wish to have a discussion on GMO's they can not all be lumped together and need to be understood separately.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorite is when I use it mixed with some Crown Royal...works wonders there too.

In all seriousness, meat from a polled hereford is from a genetically modified organism. If people wish to have a discussion on GMO's they can not all be lumped together and need to be understood separately.

Isn't that simply selective breeding? I always looked at that differently than gmo. Clue me in please.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Genetically modified is what it says, we modify the natural order of the genes, we give evolution direction instead of random chance to speed things up and introduce desirable traits. Weather its by introducing specific genes from multiple species, or simply selective breeding.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member

Isn't that simply selective breeding? I always looked at that differently than gmo. Clue me in please.

It was accomplished thru selective breeding, but that selective breeding resulted in a genetically modified animal from the horned hereford.

Those animals have different genetic markers than a horned hereford.

It is not the same as genetic manipulation but it is in fact a genetic modification that has been exploited.

That is why there is so many differing genetic modifications as well as manipulations that one can not lump them all together when discussing them.

Golden rice is an example of "GMO" that has saved countless lives and blindness. Yet people lump it in with all GMO's when claiming how evil and bad they are.

Indeed science has to be held accountable for what it is doing and sound science has to be the base line for technology advancements. But the reality is in a world where the population will reach 9 billion people by 2050, GMO will be necessary to feed the world.

I am a staunch supporter of your ability to choose what foods you wish to purchase and to have the option of knowing where and who and how your foods were raised, (I want to be part of capturing the value that may have to you and others without the govt interferring) but we also have to produce safe available food for those that do not have the extra income to buy organic or sourced foods. GMO technologies will allow that.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with GST, GMO is such a broad term that all the internet sheep like to run with.

Some incentive based eugenics and free birth control would solve a lot of problems on this planet too. This 10 children family crap can stop any time. These women in Africa pushing out their 9th kid while the other 8 bulb headed skeletons are starving to death is getting a little ridiculous.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
GEO that's the scary one, crossing different species to produce a super specie. Like Geo corn where they take a gene from so other species that causes insects to die from consuming the kernel. There has been biased or unbiased studies on these products consumed by children to produce more food allergies then ever before it human history. Maybe it's malarkey but then again may not.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Peanuts are not allowed in my childrens school, anything that might have even been near a peanut.

Somehow in the last 20 years peanut allergies are rampant.
My granddaughters can not drink milk from a cow, highly allergic. WTF
Something seems a bit suspect.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82