Tractors

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
BOBKAT!!!! Good to see and hear you're still out there kickin' around. Readin' Newbie under you name, made me chuckle a bit though. Hope you stick around.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone should be deaf that drove tractors back in the 50's thru the 70's. Any tractor with a cab was worse then with out a cab. I remember digging summer fallow back in the eary 70's with a 4020 with a cab no AC and having the windows and door open and a whirlwind came into the cab. The whirlwind is bad enough but all the dust in the cab getting churned up was enough to choke a person out.

Summer fallow, is something you never hear of.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone should be deaf that drove tractors back in the 50's thru the 70's. Any tractor with a cab was worse then with out a cab. I remember digging summer fallow back in the eary 70's with a 4020 with a cab no AC and having the windows and door open and a whirlwind came into the cab. The whirlwind is bad enough but all the dust in the cab getting churned up was enough to choke a person out.

Summer fallow, is something you never hear of.

IH cabs were the worst. Deaf in the left ear without a cab and deaf in both ears with a cab thanks to the transmission howl.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A guy asked me to come out and cultivate with his 4430 JD about 1975. I had worked for another guy with a 56 series IHC.

That sound guard cab on the JD was amazing. White shirt on, no dust and could hear the radio and no headache at end of day.
Wild cat 4x4 Steiger (about early 1970) about kill me with that cab with heat and noise and dust and that v8 cat just whined at 3200 RPM. Windows did not open so door was left open. It was a bitch. I can only image what the new ones are like.
Yes there was a time when no cab was better and just a comfort king or whatever they were called was better other than the fumes coming off the motor.

Then one summer my dad just never got around to fixing the muffler on the 806. Doing summer fallow was a bitch with that noise that whole summer. db

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey,
if your Coop looks similar to my Cockshutt in this picture it is an E3 (4cyl) which is about the size of an IH H and if it is a 6cyl it is an E4 and more like an IH M. The only difference in these types is the color and the decals and the Cockshutt was marketed in Canada at that time with the other 3 I mentioned were marketed in the US. There is another form of Co-op that is not directly related though which would be called No.3, they almost look home built and resemble more of a plow style tractor, these typically had Continental engines and yes their road gear was scary fast. The thing that really got me so interested in Cockshutt is the very unique and long history of the brand. 49069769_2279153918783343_3294926221741129728_n.jpg

That is a nice looking tractor you have . Thanks for the info. I read more about the history , Cool stuff. I had no clue these tractors had Live PTO.

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was pretty darn cool! You can't stop watching it, at least I couldn't!

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
A guy asked me to come out and cultivate with his 4430 JD about 1975. I had worked for another guy with a 56 series IHC.

That sound guard cab on the JD was amazing. White shirt on, no dust and could hear the radio and no headache at end of day.
Wild cat 4x4 Steiger (about early 1970) about kill me with that cab with heat and noise and dust and that v8 cat just whined at 3200 RPM. Windows did not open so door was left open. It was a bitch. I can only image what the new ones are like.
Yes there was a time when no cab was better and just a comfort king or whatever they were called was better other than the fumes coming off the motor.

Then one summer my dad just never got around to fixing the muffler on the 806. Doing summer fallow was a bitch with that noise that whole summer. db

115 or 195 Versatile that had a V8 Detroit. Had to wear ear muffs in the cab.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ol Oliver 99 and super 99 were a loud screaming beast of a tractor back in the day with that 2-stroke GM diesel.

- - - Updated - - -

A Super 99 is also on my list of wants, but then again that list seams to grow all the time. Will need to start a GoFundMe scam to help fund my tractor addiction I guess.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a new tractor for use on my 40 acres, which I hope to live on fairly soon (pending interest rates becoming reasonable again). Im leaning towards the smaller frame size, HP is very similar. I dont have large animals or plan to do much serious farming, but would like to have a large garden and ive got a few orchard areas planted out there. It would also be used for snow removal in the winters once I have something built. The 20 series machine isnt SMALL like some brands. Its actually heavier that some JD 30 series tractors, just over 3000lbs.
https://www.bobcat.com/na/en/equipm...ractors/4000-platform-compact-tractors/ct4045
4045.JPG

Or
2040.JPG

https://www.bobcat.com/na/en/equipm...ractors/2000-platform-compact-tractors/ct2040

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spend another $10,000 and you can get tractor with a cab, you wont regret it
ive thought about that also, but because of all the trees im planting and want to be able to move around my orchard areas, I think height of a cab could really get in the way when fertilizing and mowing etc. also on and off again type stuff is more of a pita with a cab I think, kinda like getting out of my truck a lot to do stuff is a lot harder than getting off an ATV. I do a lot of stuff out there now on my ATV cuz hop on and off and moving around is just easier.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of mid size cabs do come off and on not to bad if have shop with tall walls. Brother IN law came from Montana to Bismarck to buy tractor went with Bobcat, loader cab like 10 years ago 25K all good no problems. I grew up around John Deer so that is my choice. Started with 1997 JD 455 Diesel utility tractor for all small stuff with all attachments than upgraded to JD X758 with cab when prices on older stuff went way up sold it for what I paid damn near and all attachments too. Upgrade bigger tractor too had a JD 2630 diesel loader prices on them went sky high too so sold that really went all out bought JD 4052R with cab what the hell last stuff for me to buy. I too remember all old jd b, ,730, 520 and up from there.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought a JD 4066r about 5 years ago with JD's 0% financing. Got a cab, loader, snowblower, mower, post hole digger, rake, box blade and backhoe attachments. Best investment I've made, things a workhorse and the cab is a must in the winter.

Eatsleeptrap

★★ Legendary Member
Hasn't been that cold, haven't had that much snow, but the heat and stereo made it tolerable. TYM used to be Branson. The tractor, snow blower and snow pusher were $44,000.
TRACTOR1.jpg

Attachments

TRACTOR4.jpg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It all boils down to your needs and wants and if you are mechanically inclined. New is nice and expensive but old is cheap and they both do the same job. All new stuff is a pain in the ass to work on but almost all old school stuff is easy and parts are cheap. If I had to start from scratch for a hobby farm with future plans to build I'd probably start with an old school small tractor with 3 point hitch and a mower that would fit my garden and mowing needs and then shop for a heavy duty backhoe loader for moving snow and trenching/digging what ever you need in the future. I have a 94 JD 510 4x4 backhoe that works great for moving snow and the heater will roast you out on the coldest day. If we get a heavy snow I chain a 30' utility pole to the front bucket and in a couple passes I can wing out the driveway just as good as a road grader . I haven't found snow too deep I couldn't push through it and the hoe is handy to have around. It's a pure animal. For tillage my main tractor is a super C farmall with 3 point cultivator and row crop rotor tiller. plus a few more A and B farmalls for mowing and some row crop stuff In all , I have less than $ 18,000 tied up in everything, plus enough extra parts to last a lifetime. I like to tinker and I have the time so that's what works for me. Theres no such thing as a tractor that will do everything so sometimes more than one makes sense . One of my summer projects is to build a weed badger .

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It all boils down to your needs and wants and if you are mechanically inclined. New is nice and expensive but old is cheap and they both do the same job. All new stuff is a pain in the ass to work on but almost all old school stuff is easy and parts are cheap. If I had to start from scratch for a hobby farm with future plans to build I'd probably start with an old school small tractor with 3 point hitch and a mower that would fit my garden and mowing needs and then shop for a heavy duty backhoe loader for moving snow and trenching/digging what ever you need in the future. I have a 94 JD 510 4x4 backhoe that works great for moving snow and the heater will roast you out on the coldest day. If we get a heavy snow I chain a 30' utility pole to the front bucket and in a couple passes I can wing out the driveway just as good as a road grader . I haven't found snow too deep I couldn't push through it and the hoe is handy to have around. It's a pure animal. For tillage my main tractor is a super C farmall with 3 point cultivator and row crop rotor tiller. plus a few more A and B farmalls for mowing and some row crop stuff In all , I have less than $ 18,000 tied up in everything, plus enough extra parts to last a lifetime. I like to tinker and I have the time so that's what works for me. Theres no such thing as a tractor that will do everything so sometimes more than one makes sense . One of my summer projects is to build a weed badger .
I have weed badger built by guy cant remember fits my small JD utility tractor works slick now that I can't till trees anymore just to much of a jungle and hard on body of tractor and we too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88