2015 Deer Rifle Season reports, pics, bloopers, etc.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya, that'll eat. Good to see he missed the quarters and straps but he may have spoiled the loins. Still a good amount of sausage from that one. Antlers are a nice bonus too.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's crazy how many bucks in that ball park are starting to come off down there. Needless to say there not everywhere but for as flat as much of it is they are pretty good at surviving to old age. Thank god for the lack of roads giving them places to get away too.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is my buck, unfortunately I have a hugely busy deer season that is not deer related. Was able to hunt for 2 hours yesterday and 3 hours today, and that was going to be my season. Good news is that I was able to harvest this 5x6 today just before dusk, and get some table fare. Not a bruiser, but a decent old boy that has a nice heavy body. Best part is a total lung shot that ruined not meat.
20151108_170017.jpg20151108_165833.jpg

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is my buck, unfortunately I have a hugely busy deer season that is not deer related. Was able to hunt for 2 hours yesterday and 3 hours today, and that was going to be my season. Good news is that I was able to harvest this 5x6 today just before dusk, and get some table fare. Not a bruiser, but a decent old boy that has a nice heavy body. Best part is a total lung shot that ruined not meat.

For 5 hours of hunting, that's a damn fine buck. Good job.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got to my public land spot at about 9:45. Uncle was there waiting for me. Chatted a bit and got antsy as there were a few vehicles parked and I wanted to make sure I made it to the "Triangle of Death" first. Never had a problem with squatters, but you can't be too careful!

Had an anterless tag, so of course all I saw were bucks. For 45 minutes anyway. After the fourth buck strolled by a nice, fat doe presented herself for a free ride home in the bed of my truck.

Dropped the rifle off with my deer, grabbed a bow and sat for the rest of Friday. No more deer came by, but I kicked out four on the walk back to the truck.

All told I saw 15 deer (10 of which were bucks) from 11:30 to sunset Friday. Spent part of Saturday butchering and packaging the doe then took the GWPs out Sunday for some ditch parrots.

It was a wonderful weekend of harvest.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boy did johnr prove me wrong. I was sure he was screwed.

Guess this pretty much puts johnr in Whitetail Pro status. :D

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the first time I've ever filled a buck tag on opening weekend with the exception of my youth tag. It's a little bitter sweet. I still have a bow tag to fill but really have no idea where to go. Guess I should get ready for the upcoming wrestling season since ice fishing seems to be a long wait this year.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
God I hope that's not the one I have been playing hide and seek with the last two seasons. That is one sweet looking deer.

don't you mean: "Congrats to the hunter. That is one sweet loooking deer."

- - - Updated - - -

Hope its not the one I was chasing last year. Any idea the rough area?

lol

i don't mean much by it dean, i know it can be a BIT dissapointing when someone gets 'your deer'

friend shot a TOAD though just days ago and people are legitimately mad that a city boy came out and shot the deer they've 'poured hundreds of dollars' into trying to get.....

hurl

my take is, they should be appreciative of the prompt notice so they can focus on something else

Last edited:

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
FullSizeRender.jpg

Congrats to this lucky hunter in our group who filled her youth tag yesterday afternoon! She did a great job of being patient and making sure of her shot. Yes, that is a vintage winchester 30-30 which was handed down to her from her grandfather who recently passed, making this moment even more special. Congrats to her proud dad as well. It brought back the memories of how proud I was of my own kids when they got their first deer. What a beautiful day!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome rifle used too!

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome pic all around!

- - - Updated - - -

We had Daisy BB guns just like that - with sideload port for BBs. They were awesome.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boy did johnr prove me wrong. I was sure he was screwed.

Guess this pretty much puts johnr in Whitetail Pro status. :D

I was sure I would be having tag soup, the stars aligned and this guy came out of the trees with a twin right next to him.
I had a spike buck in my cross hairs, even clicked the safety off, thinking that this would be my only option for this shortened season, put the finger on the trigger, then decided to not be that guy and let him walk. It was my farm buddy shooting a coyote that ran out of the trees, that pushed the last two bigger bucks and about 10 does out of the trees. They came out at a slight trot, not really spooked at all, I had lots of time to position myself and the deer in a clean shot situation, which for me is quite unusual.

I have been lucky with some great friends with great land, that knew I didn't have a bunch of season to hunt, so they put me in the prime area to get the most likely action. The land owner put me in the prime spot, and said "since you are limited this season, we will put you in the hot zone." Fricken awesome, he then took his farm pickup out to the drop site, him and his son loaded it onto the pickup, used his hoist to lift it up and hung it in his butchering area. I will head over tonight and finish the process, while drinking his Ice Cold Busch Lights..

God bless North Dakota farmers and the posted land they let me hunt...haha awesome.

Better part of the story is mrs johnr has packed our house, to the point where I don't know where any of my hunting items are located. I had to borrow an orange hat, an orange jacket, didn't even have a hunting knife, was lucky enough to have kept the tag in my pickup...and the guns are still in the safe.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

lol

i don't mean much by it dean, i know it can be a BIT dissapointing when someone gets 'your deer'

friend shot a TOAD though just days ago and people are legitimately mad that a city boy came out and shot the deer they've 'poured hundreds of dollars' into trying to get.....

hurl

my take is, they should be appreciative of the prompt notice so they can focus on something else

Oh I'm not two worried about it. Odd are its not him but if it is then ohwell congratulations to that guy. Right now I'm concentrating on the area where I took the picture of the buck I posted before. Went back to that spot this morning and saw thrity mule deer with atleast 10 bucks ranging from pipsqueak up to a couple big deer. Now just trying to find the method to their madness to figure out where I need to be on any certain days to give me the best odds.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
BTW Dean, that was my friend who is in the photo. He has a lot of time in the fall and winter since he runs the Fire station. Fished a tournament with him last year.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

lol

hurl

i think i have seen some posts on that amazing what deer hunting does to people.

Oh I'm not two worried about it. Odd are its not him but if it is then ohwell congratulations to that guy. Right now I'm concentrating on the area where I took the picture of the buck I posted before. Went back to that spot this morning and saw thrity mule deer with atleast 10 bucks ranging from pipsqueak up to a couple big deer. Now just trying to find the method to their madness to figure out where I need to be on any certain days to give me the best odds.

I saw 30 mulies yesterday they were coming out of the wood work and 2 that got me excited now i have to wait till saturday its going to be a long week.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW Dean, that was my friend who is in the photo. He has a lot of time in the fall and winter since he runs the Fire station. Fished a tournament with him last year.

have you got to see it in person i heard it is even more impressive.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sucked! Friggen missed a nice little 4 by right after sunset last nite. Very long story..haha..but I missed. dirty bugger. Hope to get another whack at one this weekend. I don't eat the horns so will not be picky. If I am lucky enough to get another whack at it, I hope to capitalize this time so I don't have to go to "missed opportunity" therapy. haha

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
image.jpg

Congrats to this lucky hunter in our group who filled her youth tag yesterday afternoon! She did a great job of being patient and making sure of her shot. Yes, that is a vintage winchester 30-30 which was handed down to her from her grandfather who recently passed, making this moment even more special. Congrats to her proud dad as well. It brought back the memories of how proud I was of my own kids when they got their first deer. What a beautiful day!

Oh that brings big smiles to me seeing a young huntress packing some heat. I own a mdl 94 30-30 pre 64 wsm which I shot my first buck with. Congrats

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
No, I havn't seen in person, I should drive by his house. REALLY busy now with practice starting today though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 229
  • This month: 199
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 66