250 LBS of Week - Not Guilty

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also just read where a LEO in Cass County just resigned after two of his cases were thrown out of court. Its got to be a real challenging job with the laws such as they are.
That's Stutsman county. There is no such thing as law enforcement rights. They are to enforce all laws, but they do have discretion to ignore minor infractions. If they didn't they would be so busy with minor things they may miss more important.

It’s not a crime to have a vehicle, tattoo and jewelry is it? It is illegal to drive 90 in a 75. Write him a speeding ticket and send him on his way.
It's not a crime, but come on an 18 year old kid with a $200K vehicle and expensive jewelry. Maybe his parents are rich, but he didn't make the money on his paper route. Also you don't stop them for these things, but if your a drug runner your usually also an idiot and will make a mistake like a traffic violation which becomes probable cause. I could follow nearly any driver in North Dakota for a half hour and they will violate a traffic law. Nearly everyone will make an illegal turn from a stop sign into the far lane rather than the near lane then signal for the far lane.

Also LE don't wrongfully search they must have probable cause. Most often it's mj smoke in the car. Judges are now letting them off. What was probable cause still is, but some judges I think must be ignoring that. Often it's a canine drug dog going nuts when you walk up to the car, and that is probable cause. Every year the dopers challenge probable cause.

The judges I think would have had a different conclusion if the guy was blowing a high blood alcohol, but they are going easy on pot.

So much for polls. The one from Fargo said 34% of people polled said they would vote for recreational mj.

As for the legislature it's odd that some want to stop measures. Now because it's mj they are all for measures. I have heard multiple times people saying if something is legal it's ok. Now it's ok to change the law and make something legal. Lot of hypocrisy going on here. I guess when one of our pets say America is a land of law they are wrong.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Just read the briefs and order. I think it was close. But, judge probably got it right. I am sure the ND supreme court will get a chance to weigh in on this one.
Yep, I agree! The question is not whether the guys were guilty or not but where is the line defining “Unreasanable Search and #iezure?” That’s what the Supreme Court will likely be hashing out, at least in my non lawyer opinion.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's Stutsman county. There is no such thing as law enforcement rights. They are to enforce all laws, but they do have discretion to ignore minor infractions. If they didn't they would be so busy with minor things they may miss more important.

It's not a crime, but come on an 18 year old kid with a $200K vehicle and expensive jewelry. Maybe his parents are rich, but he didn't make the money on his paper route. Also you don't stop them for these things, but if your a drug runner your usually also an idiot and will make a mistake like a traffic violation which becomes probable cause. I could follow nearly any driver in North Dakota for a half hour and they will violate a traffic law. Nearly everyone will make an illegal turn from a stop sign into the far lane rather than the near lane then signal for the far lane.

Also LE don't wrongfully search they must have probable cause. Most often it's mj smoke in the car. Judges are now letting them off. What was probable cause still is, but some judges I think must be ignoring that. Often it's a canine drug dog going nuts when you walk up to the car, and that is probable cause. Every year the dopers challenge probable cause.

The judges I think would have had a different conclusion if the guy was blowing a high blood alcohol, but they are going easy on pot.

So much for polls. The one from Fargo said 34% of people polled said they would vote for recreational mj.

As for the legislature it's odd that some want to stop measures. Now because it's mj they are all for measures. I have heard multiple times people saying if something is legal it's ok. Now it's ok to change the law and make something legal. Lot of hypocrisy going on here. I guess when one of our pets say America is a land of law they are wrong.

You are still reaching with the 18 year old kid scenario.

I honestly don’t have a very high opinion of law enforcement. They’ve never been shy about throwing the book at me, and twice in my life I actually was looking for their help and they let me down in an epic way. I’m not upset about what I did wrong and the consequences that came with, but how they went about letting me down when I needed them. I’ll never forget it either. For that reason, I can say I’d rather deal with any issue on my own.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Medical mj is one thing, but those dumb enough to think it's recreation often do dumb enough things to give LE probable cause. Years ago we were called in with a tip from the FBI. Three nasty guys from Minneapolis were planning to break a buddy out of Stutsman LEC. The wire tap revealed their plan. They were going to find a cop running radar, leave one guy down the block and speed past the cop stopping adjacent their buddy in the bushes who would ambush the cop, then if their buddy wasn't released kill him in front of the LEC. Their problem is they got to high on the way and run in the ditch. Probable cause revealed drugs and automatic weapons in their trunk. They are still in prison. If you suspect something running in the ditch makes a person wonder why, and it's probable cause.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard multiple times people saying if something is legal it's ok. Now it's ok to change the law and make something legal. Lot of hypocrisy going on here.

As far as I know it's not against the law to change the law . As far as someone going 90 in a 75 , The leo has every right to throw the book at him. Driving 73 in a 75 zone is legal and it's a huge difference IMHO . If you stand behind our Bill of rights there should be no gray area , If you only support the amendments you like then your last sentence and my first sentence apply .

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have ultimate respect for almost all LEO's , I've been "jerked around" once and that didn't set well but all that was hurt was my car and my pride, damage to both was minor. That's a story all by itself but I'm 99% happy overall . I found out why the discussion and claims here are different , Same officer had two cases thrown out of court.

http://inforum.com/news/crime-and-c...arge-i-94-drug-bust-same-stutsman-deputy-made

Witch hunt ? Maybe , Maybe not . I wasn't there and don't know the details but judge did and made a decision . As far as the officer resigning , Not sure what emotions would go through one's mind but at least he got a million $$ of illegal drugs off the streets and probably scared the dealers straight. That alone would be a win win. Loophole # 1 when informants let loose about known drug runs why not just bust them regardless of legalities and confiscate the drugs just to get them off the street. Notice I said known drug runs and not a free for all witch hunt.

Sure beats the 485 Million alternative plus whatever it costs to keep a felon healthy, fed and warm for a few years.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/new...ation-will-cost-north-dakota-485-million-2025

No idea how dealers would react but one thing for sure is they wouldn't be able to sue for damages that never occured or to get their illegal substance back . I'm just as unhappy as the next guy about illegal drugs but probably more than the next guy that we continue to throw away money on the war against them that seems like a losing battle.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my opinion, being able to travel without being stopped for some nit picky reason is what they had in mind when they wrote the fourth amendment.

I also question how the taxpayers of Stutsman county are being served by have deputies out on Hwy 94 trying to track down shipments of weed that are just rolling through. I am sure there are plenty of problems in the county.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem with the drug war is there really never was a war.

Ok , But if we call it a battle or a campaign or fight nothing changes , It still seems like a situation that never seems to get better no matter how many billions of dollars we throw at it.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also question how the taxpayers of Stutsman county are being served by have deputies out on Hwy 94
one simple example: it's a very large county. When a call comes in from Medina for example it's twice as fast to use I94 as a gravel road. It saves taxpayer money, and maybe a taxpayers life. Often deputies are there before the ambulance and all deputies are trained first responders. Not only do they carry first aid, but they carry defibrillators. If it is something that can wait and a car has a driver braking a serious driving law you can't just ignore your oath to uphold the law.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have spent over a trillion dollars and almost a half a century fighting a war on drugs. We are nowhere close to winning it.

Ghost, you ignored the second part of that sentence. The guys in the article were pulled over for going 2 mph under the speed limit. How much time were they spending on 94 mainly trying to chase down weed that was just passing through the county?

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe any law that makes 20+ million people criminals isn't the best idea. Just a thought.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never been stopped for a nitpicky reason. 40 years of driving.

Should I feel left out? Ignored? Dare I say NEGLECTED?

Dangit - now I am outraged.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy you don’t drive a Chevy so your lights always work haha.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe it explains why this society is headed for the crapper.

That's bullshit. We are living in a time of the next greatest generation. When we were attacked 17 yrs ago a bunch of hero's stepped up to fight for you and me and the rest of us. It's those that had to be brought kicking and screaming in to the 21st century that long for the "good old days." (sorry to be off topic)

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe it explains why this society is headed for the crapper.

I'm stuck back in the olden days way more than you are or will ever be but I am also able to visualize what has worked and what hasn't in the past. It's been medicine 2737 BC: Pen Ts'ao Ching
Earliest record of cannabis as a medicinal drug. At this time, Emperor Shen-Nung recognized its treatment properties for over 100 ailments such as gout, rheumatism, and malaria.

And now here you are still trying to sell reefer madness because you are some kind of cop. Give me one good reason why Booze was and should have been released from prohibition and a medical plant wasn't. All the majority wanted was medical use in a reasonable manner and we were denied. Taking it to phase 2 is the only viable option for medical at this time , Only way to make it affordable at this time because of insurance issues. No bad vibes meant about your law enforcement job, I just feel you have to look outside the box and look at both sides of the coin before jumping on the LEO money raising bandwagon on the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Point being PG, You are only stuck in as bad of times as you think. I think we live in good times but that might just be because I live on the sunny side of the mountain.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm stuck back in the olden days way more than you are or will ever be but I am also able to visualize what has worked and what hasn't in the past. It's been medicine 2737 BC: Pen Ts'ao Ching
Earliest record of cannabis as a medicinal drug. At this time, Emperor Shen-Nung recognized its treatment properties for over 100 ailments such as gout, rheumatism, and malaria.

And now here you are still trying to sell reefer madness because you are some kind of cop. Give me one good reason why Booze was and should have been released from prohibition and a medical plant wasn't. All the majority wanted was medical use in a reasonable manner and we were denied. Taking it to phase 2 is the only viable option for medical at this time , Only way to make it affordable at this time because of insurance issues. No bad vibes meant about your law enforcement job, I just feel you have to look outside the box and look at both sides of the coin before jumping on the LEO money raising bandwagon on the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Point being PG, You are only stuck in as bad of times as you think. I think we live in good times but that might just be because I live on the sunny side of the mountain.
Even though I didn't agree with GST 100% he was right about a lot of stuff, You, Not so much.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 104
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46