April Blizzard Predicted next week

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Can't remember the year but another bad storm in the 70's I think, was that damn Snirt storm.. Half dirt and half snow. Lots of cattle lost and that storm was super cold then too. Many cattle got away from cover and froze to death or the teats froze and some bulls nuts froze. It was a super bad deal. Also lots of livestock lost in the coming weeks after the storm from inhaling all that dirt. It was nasty!
We got lucky again and never lost one critter. Been blessed in more ways in my lifetime!

I think that was around Christmas of '74? I was feeding the neighbors cows as well my own and everything froze up. The snow under the drifted dirt was still banked up in the trees at the end of June.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
BBJ:
I to remember that storm of 74.
was in southern Mn with wife and first child. We were in a trailer house and wall was vibrating back and forth. Car down the street ended up under 8 feet of snow. We had snow but folks up by Devils Lake had dirt to. Bad one. db

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
My parents talk about that snirt storm. They were married in 73 and had just bought the farm they live on now that they'd rented a couple of years. They didn't have much for livestock at the time, just couple milk cows, some beef cows, pigs and chickens. Neighbors cows broke out and walked over to their place so they fed them till it was over. Talked alot of a guys cows near Towner that broke out and went with the wind down hwy 2 and died by york and leeds. It was a nasty one.

We're calving pretty good now. About 10 a day through this storm, Its been hell but almost everything is still alive, barns are full, and feeding some calves that the cows wouldn't follow in and can't chase em, to much snow to get around. Need the wind to quit and some warmer weather but that ain't happening till late next week. These next few really cold nights with wind are going to be long and stressfull. I remember the blizzard of 97, i was still in high school, parents maybe had 75 beef cows and had just started calving, we all took turns then going out every hour to check them and dragging them in the barn in a sled on foot, only had a 2wd atv then. That storm was worse for amount of snow but it warmed up quick afterwards, this one just won't quit. Drought from hell last year, winter from hell, and now calving season from hell. Makes me wonder why I chose to do this but the bad times will pass and it'll get better.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pheasants are fucked I "assume"?
They will not be “fucked”. I saw 3 roosters this afternoon. Some will die, but most will survive, just like any storm in the past. Wildlife deals with this kind stuff way better than we think. They adapt and survive, now a new born wet calf has about 1/2 to 45 min. Before they are done. Coming out of a 100 degree body cavity to mid 20 degree temps with wind and snow is a game changer. There are no young chicks, fawns, or kids in the wild now to worry about. They will he just fine. In the Past I’ve seen many pheasants come out of a burrow in the snow and lead happy lives untill some hunter blasts them out of the sky. Don’t worry.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://youtu.be/64mMKCuGPiM

Starts talking about the next big storm about 16:10 Its a typhoon over by Japan right now. Still don't know where it'll go, maybe it'll stay south. might be warm enough to be rain but i doubt it. Looks to be cold into May.

- - - Updated - - -

They will not be “fucked”. I saw 3 roosters this afternoon. Some will die, but most will survive, just like any storm in the past. Wildlife deals with this kind stuff way better than we think. They adapt and survive, now a new born wet calf has about 1/2 to 45 min. Before they are done. Coming out of a 100 degree body cavity to mid 20 degree temps with wind and snow is a game changer. There are no young chicks, fawns, or kids in the wild now to worry about. They will he just fine. In the Past I’ve seen many pheasants come out of a burrow in the snow and lead happy lives untill some hunter blasts them out of the sky. Don’t worry.

I don't know about the pheasants, had about a dozen around the yard all winter getting fed, haven't seen one since this storm. Robins are all bunched up around the house trying to get warm, Killdeer and other birds are bunched up out by the cows picking through whatever they can find. Did see a pair of Candas sitting out in the open in the drifting snow.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys keep talking about the Sunday blizzard just realize even the pivotal weather model system doesn't even think all that much of Sunday's storm at this point. And that website and their modeling has a tendency to massively over forecast something and the most I've seen on there is like 6 to 8 inches up on the far Canadian border.

- - - Updated - - -

They will survive just like they do every other storm!? Seriously where you're not around in the spring of 97? Pheasants do not do well when they leave their winter cover and get smoked by a blizzard in April! I've seen a number of individual storms over my time that have absolutely annihilated various pheasant populations and this one will undoubtedly reap a high toll on a number of the various areas of the state! Pheasants are not biologically designed to live in this environment and they don't do well with a high wind, High snow mid April snow storm.

Last edited:

Greenhorn

Honored Member
Is plowing in Bismarck always this bad? The streets a block away have been plowed for a couple days now, but it does no good to us since we cannot get out of our driveway. I may just sum it up to the government being pagan and not wanting me to go to church this holy week. :;:huh

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is plowing in Bismarck always this bad? The streets a block away have been plowed for a couple days now, but it does no good to us since we cannot get out of our driveway. I may just sum it up to the government being pagan and not wanting me to go to church this holy week. :;:huh

they have those waste gates or whatever they call them ----- the people from bismarck are bitchy and they wanted their driveways not to be plowed in. Those things are super slow ---- we dont have them in the east because we get hit with snow and we need to move and get to work.

Greenhorn

Honored Member
I would much rather have to shovel the ridge at the end of my driveway than be stuck for 4 days...

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
My parents talk about that snirt storm. They were married in 73 and had just bought the farm they live on now that they'd rented a couple of years. They didn't have much for livestock at the time, just couple milk cows, some beef cows, pigs and chickens. Neighbors cows broke out and walked over to their place so they fed them till it was over. Talked alot of a guys cows near Towner that broke out and went with the wind down hwy 2 and died by york and leeds. It was a nasty one.

We're calving pretty good now. About 10 a day through this storm, Its been hell but almost everything is still alive, barns are full, and feeding some calves that the cows wouldn't follow in and can't chase em, to much snow to get around. Need the wind to quit and some warmer weather but that ain't happening till late next week. These next few really cold nights with wind are going to be long and stressfull. I remember the blizzard of 97, i was still in high school, parents maybe had 75 beef cows and had just started calving, we all took turns then going out every hour to check them and dragging them in the barn in a sled on foot, only had a 2wd atv then. That storm was worse for amount of snow but it warmed up quick afterwards, this one just won't quit. Drought from hell last year, winter from hell, and now calving season from hell. Makes me wonder why I chose to do this but the bad times will pass and it'll get better.

I have friends that were on the ranch during the 96-97 winter and they are forever changed by that experience. Literally, forever and forever changed. The stress of the weather was incredible.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The most talked about storm in our household growing up was one winter in the mid or late 40s because it was the longest storm . I wanna say it was winter of 1945 ? The old timers made it sound like It stormed all winter pretty much straight through. At one point it let up for a day and my uncle drove ahead with his 44 Massy Harris and pushed a trail to town, parents and the neighbors followed with cream cans and cream in every container big enough to hold it... The snow was so deep on the lake road by the golf course that they had to turn around and take the road east of there. They made it to town and back and it was a long day. I remember riding with dad to move snow and feed the cows on his Super M with a farmhand when I was a kid The tractors had a "heater housing" cab so they were actually pretty warm and cozy once they warmed up. I'll have to Reminisce with my sisters and get the year right.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member

You could always move down to where the tornadoes have wreaked havoc for weeks, massive destruction and loss of lives. I am guessing you have food ,water, and evidently shelter. I would consider you lucky and blessed this holy week. :;:huh

Last edited:

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member

It's hardly been done snowing and blowing 40+ for 12 hours dude...I remember that big Christmas storm 4 or 5 years ago, it took some people 5 or 6 days to get plowed out.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone needs an old Polaris in the yard for storms like this! Or JD Liquifire, Moto-Ski, Rupp, Ski-Doo. Cheap and will get you to beer when the snow gets deep LOL!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's hardly been done snowing and blowing 40+ for 12 hours dude...I remember that big Christmas storm 4 or 5 years ago, it took some people 5 or 6 days to get plowed out.

I remember that storm because i had to put my first lab down on that Christmas eve then we lost power for 5 days with the freezing rain and snow and wind. My other lab pretty much mopped around the house with me while we kept it warm enough so pipes didnt freeze with the mr buddy and house lp fireplace he kept looking out the window for Winston.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

It took family from out of state 5 days to get re-booked to fly home.

- - - Updated - - -

well what I said didn’t come out quit right. Wildlife have instincts and are way better equipped to deal with these events than domestic animals. The majority find good shelter and will be just fine. A few will not make it. Happens every storm. My insensitivity is noted and I apologize to whomever I offended. I’ll banish myself to the corner for the rest of the day.

Don a pointy hat, put your nose in the corner, have someone take a pic. Post the pic here and consider your penance served. ;:;rofl

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
It took family from out of state 5 days to get re-booked to fly home.

- - - Updated - - -

Don a pointy hat, put your nose in the corner, have someone take a pic. Post the pic here and consider your penance served. ;:;rofl
I would gladly do this for everybody on here but I live alone and have no one to a pic.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is standard operating procedure for any town in a storm like this. Let me guess the street down the way is a snow emergency route. And needless to say no street had been plowed out for a couple days at the time you posted that since they were drifting in in a mater of an hour or two. They keep the snow emergency routes open during the storm itself and once the snow lets up then they go off and hit the side streets.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As of this moment our street has not been plow and open. Made a path with snow blower to get to an open street. Just the way it is and been that way before.

When i was young i did ride in the sleigh with a stove going to school, only once but folks would pick a way across open field to get to highway. db

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93