Buying a Vehicle Outside of ND

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Prices in North Dakota seem to be substantially higher than a couple of our neighboring states so I intend to buy a truck in either MN or SD in December. Has anyone else done this and if so, is there any additional things I need to know (taxes, fees, etc.)? Thanks for any info.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
New or used? I have bought three pickups from SD without an issue. I would be leary of rust buying anything used from MN, the frames start to rust there in just a year or two. The prices in SD seem to be better also. Any particular brand your looking at?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought my last truck in SD because they had a holdover. I also purchased one in Moorhead about 12yrs ago. Process seemed no different than the ones I've purchased in-state.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you need to pay ND sales tax when you register it unless they have changed that. I bought my vehicles from Billings lately and a few guys from the ND side over here go to the same place and seem to be happy with the results so far.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
New or used? I have bought three pickups from SD without an issue. I would be leary of rust buying anything used from MN, the frames start to rust there in just a year or two. The prices in SD seem to be better also. Any particular brand your looking at?

New F-150. Thanks for the replies everyone. The DMV website, or at least the parts I was looking at, weren't very clear.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you need to pay ND sales tax when you register it unless they have changed that. I bought my vehicles from Billings lately and a few guys from the ND side over here go to the same place and seem to be happy with the results so far.

Yup, will need to pay tax when register vehicle.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought a Pathfinder from Rapid City last winter. Had to pay sales tax when I registered it. Other than that, I don't recall any special fees or extra expenses. For the money, I feel like I got a better deal there, but it was used, so hard to compare apples to oranges.

One thing to think about (I know you said you're looking at new), sometimes the dealers here in ND will offer to bring a used car from a dealership there, here, so you can look at it. I was looking for a late-model mid-sized SUV, and Dvorak in Bismarck offered to bring the vehicle from SD to here. It had just gone on the lot in SD though, so that dealer said no.

Gotta give the guy at Dvorak kudos for trying hard. I would have preferred to purchase in town, but it wasn't a deal-breaker.

My $.02.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll buy in SD when it comes time for a new pickup. I bought one car in California while I was stationed there and one in Minneapolis while going to school. I registered both in ND and paid ND sales tax. Pretty easy. Only hard part is driving to go get it. Are you trading in the Jimmy?

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will have to pay taxes in ND when you register. I bought a new/used truck from Shottenkirk Mount Pleasant (Iowa) in March. Awesome dealer to work with, and even delivered the truck and took my trade back for $300. They were about $7k less than anyone around here and the truck had 1/4 the mileage of anything in Bis/Man. They are the largest truck dealer in the Midwest (by volume), and they are willing to make a deal.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll buy in SD when it comes time for a new pickup. I bought one car in California while I was stationed there and one in Minneapolis while going to school. I registered both in ND and paid ND sales tax. Pretty easy. Only hard part is driving to go get it. Are you trading in the Jimmy?[/QUO

Im leaving the Jimmy in their lot. If they give me money for it, even better.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years back I purchased a Dodge Ram from Aberdeen Chrysler. They delivered it to Bismarck for free and took back my trade in. It was an interesting process, since I didn't test drive the truck and they didn't test drive my trade in. Overall it worked out well, very happy with the price and transaction.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought last two vehicles in MN, have heard good things from a few of the Aberdeen dealers too. When I research vehicles I generally use about a 50 mile radius, lots of good small dealers in western MN, lots of nice "lakes country" trade ins too…I often try to avoid twin city metro unless they are an extremely reputable dealer.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

I purchased my F250 from Laurel MT. the Ford dealer out there had way better prices($5,000 cheaper than the local guy on a new one), and top notch sales people. They even gave me my first 2 oil changes free (in a diesel is worth about $300), but I of course was not going to drive the 680 mile round trip to change my oil.

Paid no taxes in MT. but when I licensed it here in ND had to pay the 5% ND tax.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you buy from a dealer said dealer will do your paperwork for whatever state you want to register it in,charge tax for that state and license fee's,no other fee's.If you are considering GM this is the last year (2015) for the 5yr/100k powertrain warrenty,in 2016 GM will roll back the milage to 60k.Also the 2yr/24k free maintenance(4 oil changes and tire rotation) will be reduced to 2 oil changes(desox1 semi synthetic oil)

Great deals and selection is happening now with GM product as 2016 light duty trucks will have a new face lift.Shoot me a PM if you need more info or pricing(Chevrolet dealer)

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you buy from a dealer said dealer will do your paperwork for whatever state you want to register it in,charge tax for that state and license fee's,no other fee's.If you are considering GM this is the last year (2015) for the 5yr/100k powertrain warrenty,in 2016 GM will roll back the milage to 60k.Also the 2yr/24k free maintenance(4 oil changes and tire rotation) will be reduced to 2 oil changes(desox1 semi synthetic oil)

Great deals and selection is happening now with GM product as 2016 light duty trucks will have a new face lift.Shoot me a PM if you need more info or pricing(Chevrolet dealer)

....but a Chevy is not a Ford ?!?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Worked with a guy from Montana that moved to the Bismarck area and when he went to license his two vehicles in ND he had to pay the sales tax because Montana doesn't have a sales tax. He had owned both of these vehicles for years and both were paid for. Needless to say he was not a very happy camper but since the guy an arrogant dick I thought it was quite funny

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
If looking at Ford, check out Sioux Falls Ford dealer. Always seem to have real good pricing.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member

Thanks for the offer but I'm really not interested in a GM product this time.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ghost,

I think it was JayKay that mentioned it already, but one option is to stop at someplace like Dvorak here in Bismarck and tell them EXACTLY what you are looking for in your next vehicle.

We did that when shopping for a new F150 back in 2013 and didn't like the local prices at Eide and Bill Barth. Ended up saving about $4500 by having the salesgal at Dvorak do the work for us. She ended up finding exactly what we wanted at a dealership in Detroit Lakes and had it delivered.

There's a part of me that really would have liked to buy from the local dealership, but $4500 wasn't exactly pocket change on a new F150.

And yes, I would do it again even though I am not really sure why I didn't when I bought a new 4Runner a few months ago.

So go and honestly test drive the local offerings to figure out what you like (model, color, options, etc), and if you can't get a price that you think is fair then this will cost you nothing but about 20 minutes of time to let someone else do the looking. The worst thing that could happen is they come back and tell you that Eide and/or Barth are cost competitive with what they find.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sold my 2005 GMC outright, and then purchased a 2012 F150 EcoBoost from Tenvoorde Ford in St. Cloud, MN. They sent two guys up in separate vehicles, then filled my my 36-gallon tank with fuel and delivered it to me at work. Then the two guys left back for St. Cloud in the chase vehicle. I didn't have to do anything except get a ride to work that morning. I also saved $4,750 from the price that Eide Ford was wanting for the same thing here in town (Bismarck).

I'd stay local for $600; no problem, but $4,700 is a bit ridiculous! Eide Ford can keep their oil country sales, but they won't ever have me as a purchasing local. They had their chance to keep me around and profit some on three future vehicles...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 27
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7