Camping on state land

ndhtr

Is primitive camping on ND state land legal? I’ve looked on the ND Game and Fish website and couldn’t find an answer. I want to plan a kayaking trip and camp along state land along the way, but I just want to make sure this is legal first. I would only be staying for one night at a time and using a small tent.

Thanks

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just do it and if anyone bothers you tell them you're not camping just resting. What if you're just canoeing and have an emergency and HAVE to stay overnight? They gonna fine you for camping?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have camped on state land and while camped I visited with a game warden. He said nothing about where I was camped. This was during the deer gun season. Not a for sure answer as at the time I didn't think there was anything wrong with where I camped. Evidently, neither did the warden. He checked licenses the deer we had and had a nice visit.

KJS - ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
From Land Department website - "Camping on school trust lands is NOT allowed. School trust lands were granted at statehood in 1889 solely for the support of the schools. These lands are leased for grazing and in some cases, for haying or cultivation. The Department of Trust Lands cannot spend the school’s money to manage camping and repair the potential damage that could occur. It is also not appropriate to place this burden on the agricultural lessee. Other lands such as those managed by the United States Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management provide adequate camping in western North Dakota within their mission of providing public recreational opportunities."

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the intent is so that someone doesn't pull campers or set up a campsite. Surviving by staying a night out of a canoe isn't quite what they had in mind. I wouldn't hesitate to sleep overnight in a tent from a canoe. No one will even know you were there. Kind of like doing it on CORP land. Guys canoe it all the time camping along the shoreline.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your not camping, your peacefully protesting climate change. Wear a tie-die shirt and your good to go.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your not camping, your peacefully protesting climate change. Wear a tie-die shirt and your good to go.

Throw on a face mask, as well, and you'll be left alone because they cannot identify you as any race, religious sect, etc. They don't want any negative news to hit the paper!

:;:muahaha

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
Is primitive camping on ND state land legal? I’ve looked on the ND Game and Fish website and couldn’t find an answer. I want to plan a kayaking trip and camp along state land along the way, but I just want to make sure this is legal first. I would only be staying for one night at a time and using a small tent.

Thanks

Is this along the Missouri River? If so that is Army Corp land and their rules apply. The little Missouri is mostly private and federal - not much of a problem on the federal land- but make sure you are not on private or have permission.

Just my $.02

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't seem to bother the Dapl protestors when it came to Corp land so just tell them you are Indian.

ndhtr

Is this along the Missouri River? If so that is Army Corp land and their rules apply. The little Missouri is mostly private and federal - not much of a problem on the federal land- but make sure you are not on private or have permission.

Just my $.02

It would be along the Heart River or possibly the knife river. Mostly small sections of state land along the way.

dschaible

Established Member
From first hand experience i can tell you GNF will force you to pick up your camp in the middle of the night if they catch you camping on state land. It was a wonderful experience having a vehicle speed up to my camp site, park at an angle blocking the trail and shining me with the truck lights and 2 guys in black jump out of a vehicle at night, I didn't know if some locals wanted to rumble or wtf was going on. I was in the wrong for not knowing you cannot camp on state land but that was wildly unprofessional and dangerous of the GNF.

Last edited:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
WTH, completely opposite from my experience. This was state land surrounded by federal grasslands. Didn't even check before we set up camp but warden said nothing one I'd say we must have sat and visited for 15-20 minutes about a variety of outdoor subjects. Just a very friendly conversation between a small group of people who were all interested in the outdoors.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
park at an angle blocking the trail and shining me with the truck lights and 2 guys in black jump out of a vehicle at night, I didn't know if some locals wanted to rumble or wtf was going on.

Thats a good way to get bullets in the head. Fools

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
They're not gonna force you into a canoe in the middle of the night. I believe You have the right to survive. Now if you drove in, maybe. I'd fight any ticket in court.

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 38