Electric outboard engines

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thoughts? Charging stations at lake marina's,public boat ramps?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thoughts? Charging stations at lake marina's,public boat ramps?
Plug your boat in after using just like everyone does now for trolling motors. It will just be a whole boat charging system is my guess. Much like electric vehicles they wont be for everyone, but will have their place eventually. Im guessing they will become a popular choice as a tender on larger yachts.

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Long runs on big water would be a challenge, unless they come up with regenerate charging...making a 10 to 20 mile run risky.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
how do you regen a boat battery system? there is little to now coasting or "braking" involved in boating. either way, i would be scared shitless of a battery fire. its one thing to have a car start on fire and you just pull over and get out and watch it burn. its an entirely other deal for it to happen in the middle of a lake.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe min
how do you regen a boat battery system? there is little to now coasting or "braking" involved in boating. either way, i would be scared shitless of a battery fire. its one thing to have a car start on fire and you just pull over and get out and watch it burn. its an entirely other deal for it to happen in the middle of a lake.
Maybe minni solar panels or minni on-board fossil fuel generator like telsa has std in the x model...j/k of course,video of a hiway helper coming to aid a telsa owner with a gasoline jug to fill a small generator on a dead battery ev.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not for me. I wonder how heavy the battery pack would be for a 20 ft walleye boat, and how long you'd be able to do 65 mph with it?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The wind in ND alone would make this a hard NO from me. I've been in 16 ft boats with 35 hp gas engines that had a bugger of a time going into the wind and waves to get back to the launch. Maybe in a small secluded lake like was mentioned, but definitely a niche market.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The wind in ND alone would make this a hard NO from me. I've been in 16 ft boats with 35 hp gas engines that had a bugger of a time going into the wind and waves to get back to the launch. Maybe in a small secluded lake like was mentioned, but definitely a niche market.
What about as a kicker though..pulling cranks

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
What about as a kicker though..pulling cranks
My trolling motor (24 volt) won't pull cranks all day, so I would surmise that an electric kicker would probably have the same issue assuming the same size and number of batteries. If it takes more batteries then it becomes a weight and space issue. It just seems to me that having a 8 hp gas kicker that uses a quart of fuel all day would be less hassle and more reliable than batteries and finding a place to recharge. JMHO though.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a total wet dream
I'm guessing these would have to have a water-jacket to keep them cool or some sort of a wet heat sink cooling system ? Pretty tough to try air cool something like that. I'm sure technology has came a long ways since they have used them for wheel drives for a few years. I was working close to the Utah Salt flats in 2009 and a crew from Germany was going to try beat the world record electric car MPH. It sprinkled off and on that week and they had electrical problems . They loaded it up and went home without even completing a test run.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
From what I read it's a 48v system. If paired with a dakota 48v lithium battery you could troll at 2mph or under almost all day. Could also get a battery isolator where the motor charges the battery while running spot to spot. The thing seems a little heavy though..weighs around 125lbs. The prop engineering is where I think it sets it way apart from let's say a regular Trolling motor set up. I believe the diameter of the prop is 15 inches. I think this stuff is interesting..don't think it's really viable right now but it's getting closer. They could knock off 75lbs and foresure be able to run all day on electric plus cheaper/better batteries(solid state batteries?) It may actually become a reality...in the far out future.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
A battery would sink a 21’ walleye boat to put out enough power to match that of a 400hp outboard motor

Average_NDA_Member

tell ya what make the boat out of batteries there solved it for ya good thing im here to do everyones thinkin dont know why we need these so called experts n professionals when im here

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A battery would sink a 21’ walleye boat to put out enough power to match that of a 400hp outboard motor
Oh yeah no where near high horsepower..but for a kicker?? I think it's getting closer. Still a ways out though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 14
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 4