"Excess" Corp lands above 1620 in Emmons and Morton Counties to Private Owners

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the feds know their argument of excess lands is fraudulent based on what is written in the master plan. However they will never admit to it. Unless it is some how pushed to the high courts the land transfer will continue. As far as this bill 1457 goes this is obviously an attempt by a few snake in the grass politicians in ND to gain from the land transfer. Hopefully during the next election go around the people in their districts vote these people out. I would prefer to see the state have control of these lands and others such as some Federal refuges. Don't get me wrong any government be it state or federal can screw things up. I prefer to have the people making decisions on land management to be locally elected officials or committee rather than a management plan dictated by people that have never set foot in ND. I will give you a few examples of stupid land management policies from the feds on refuges here in ND. 1. Prescribed burns in ;Lake Darling, Lostwood of which I am very familiar with its devastating effects on wintering habitat. All because some tree huger in Denver thinks a refuge on the prairies should only have grass. They don't take into consideration that todays practices of farming from road ditch to road ditch increases the value of land with a good mix of grass, trees and shrubs so local wildlife have an area to make it through winters. 2. Limiting boat access. This one I am mainly referencing Lake Audubon. Why is the southern portion of that lake still off limits to boats? There is just as many ducks and geese that nest and occupy the boating area than there is on the restricted area.

Moving back to the point of this thread we need to be vocal and make sure that the fat cat politicians know we are watching as we can not afford to lose anymore land for public access. There is not much habitat left on private lands and where there is good luck getting access. It would be great to see the state try to initiate some form of a CRP program. Maybe the farming groups would be willing to listen now that the commodity prices are back in the crapper.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The thing about most of the land they have that is well above the 20 mark is all of it is subject to major erosion any time the lakes get high. Kinda like the houses on the bluffs north of hazilton boat ramp. A couple of those will be at the bottom of the hill before the lake shore stabilizes in the future. People see the cliffs and think the will stay as they are not realizing how unstable they are especially in very wet periods.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have a fight in this one but when it comes to how to grab the bull by the horns approach to a problem that effects North Dakota outdoors man, Tim comes prepared to voice his concerns and list those who we need to contact to let them know we don't support these changes. thanks for the heads up Tim and I will be sending an email to those who need to know there is another concerned North Dakota outdoors man.

Bret

Just remember that little hart and the rest up north have long since been returned to the state and made into wma's so you can bank on those staying put because the politicians know it would be suicide to try and and give away the bottoms. Now the little chunks of higher ground dotting the rest of it as you go south are surely up in the air. Surprised not to see standing rock getting involved in this.

The state just leases the WMA's from the Corps. They're still Corps land and subject to this private transfer.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for keeping us informed Tim. Wow, Reminds me of having cows, always have to keep an eye on em or they'll get out and eat up the garden.

Bret

In reading that story, how do you privatize the land, but still keep access and recreation on those lands the same as if it were public land? That's what the Governor's people say they are working on in that story. Are they saying the land will be private but they won't post it? Then those two legislators say they will be protecting hunting and fishing in this transfer. Hunting and fishing on those lands is protected now, we don't need to do this transfer to protect those things. I smell spin.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
And this is why many shake their heads atg the govts "management" of their lands. You could not hay or graze CRP until after July 15 and in some cases Aug 1..............yet the refuge burns off grasslands in the middle of May right during the peak of nesting season. This is the upper J Clark Sayler refuge.

May 26

- - - Updated - - -

And this is why many shake their heads atg the govts "management" of their lands. You could not hay or graze CRP until after July 15 and in some cases Aug 1..............yet the refuge burns off grasslands in the middle of May right during the peak of nesting season. This is the upper J Clark Sayler refuge.

May 26

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about shaking our heads at that two mile long post!:;:howdy hell gst even when you don't post a 22 paragraph post it still takes a minute to scroll through.

Last edited:

bowhuntnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
Call/Email your representatives. This will not be in sportsmen best interest.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Politicians are politicians. Federal, state, county, it makes little difference. Those who push for transfer to state do so because they already have state politicians in their pocket. If you think the North Dakota legislature has spotsman' best interest in mind I have some swampland for sale.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Politicians are politicians. Federal, state, county, it makes little difference. Those who push for transfer to state do so because they already have state politicians in their pocket. If you think the North Dakota legislature has spotsman' best interest in mind I have some swampland for sale.
Well duck hunters pay more then farmers do so you might do well with that swampland. The only benefit i could see with state control is shore access with vehicles on the two lakes but judging how they have shut down 99% of the old trails in the bottoms I sure wouldn't bet on it.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
How about shaking our heads at that two mile long post!:;:howdy hell gst even when you don't post a 22 paragraph post it still takes a minute to scroll through.

Have no idea what happened there. Copy and pasted the pic right below the text and it started scrolling down on it's own hit enter hoping for the best

- - - Updated - - -

And that right there is typical bitching of those that do not bother to get involved in the process that governs us.

You keep making this claim yet you never show up at the legislative sessions to share your concerns on anything. Bitch and moan on a web site and yet do nothing that matters.

When was the last time you showed up and testified on an issue that matters to you?

Our legislators listen to those that show up. They listen to those that contact them. If they don;t don't re elect them.

It is our responsibility to watch over our govt. It seems once people started doing what they are supposed on this issue, these politicians took note.

The problem with this country is people bitch about politicians but never show up to do anything about it.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So the bill sponsor would benefit from the bill. That sounds pretty corrupt to me!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what the hell is Heidi "drawing up for Standing Rock"

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Read the bismarck tribune article. Randy Kreil said this and Randy Kreil said that. He isn't even with the ND Game and Fish anymore. Good riddance.

So where is Randy employed now? Question mark??? I don't think he went to a non-profit but I would have bet that is where he would have went to continue his mischief.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah no doubt. You know the world is upside-down when he's the voice of reason! As for heidi she will probably try to give them the grant county side as well and the set you a somalie settlement camp on Wynonna island.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
GST did they really have a controlled burn or was it a wild fire ? A controlled burn this time of the year doesn't make much sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Dean Nelson, My doggone computer upgraded to windows 10 last night and for the life of me I can't find the mapping service you posted on here, I had it saved someplace but I can't seem to find it. I was going to look at that refuge fire for the fun of it.

Last edited:

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
after reading the tribune i still feel like these clowns are up to no good. they are saying the feel good things a politician says right before they screw you. this thing stinks like dogshit and is nd government corruption at it's finest. maybe its time to break up the good ol boy club. i still cant figure out how a legislator can introduce a bill in which they or immediate family can gain financially and they still are in office? this deal has been done for over 50 years. regardless if some people feel they were screwed for the greater good of north dakotans its complete bullshit to compensate with our tax dollars and then just give it back. im guessing the someone has the idea that theyll try to gift it. they know itll hit opposition so they'll negotiate that it be sold to the highest bidder. thatll be enough to calm the masses and whoever ends up with it will develop the land. maybe cabins. maybe camping. maybe homes. either way itll be private and theyll get what they wanted all along. its probably a bigger scheme than we common folk think it is.

- - - Updated - - -

then 29 years down the road after every mile of shoreline is developed guess who will pay when we have a 500 year flood and all these developments wash out. yep johny f- ng taxpayet will foot that bill too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 144
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51