HB 1021 - "The Database" End-Around

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Each chamber got to select three. You'll see that most either have ties to their chamber's ag committee, or were a sponsor or carrier of the bill, so they have "familiarity" with it, so I'm guessing that factors in. I just wish there were more dissenters and differing viewpoints in the mix to help balance things out.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My problem with the app is it’s bound to have major flaws. Also what if you’ve been hunting joes land all season and night before you go again he closes it but you don’t check because there’s no reason to believe he’d close it halfway through the season. Or how about joe has it open and is driving by to go to church and sees your truck sitting in the approach. No biggie till he sees that MAGA sticker on the bumper. Now joe is a bleeding heart liberal so he’s gonna fix that trump loving piece of shit and grabs his phone, closes his land on the app and then calls the sheriff. Either way your fucked.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am guessing computers have clocks and stuff on them so they would be able to tell what time joe switched it and you would be safe in that one instance. Hell even nda tells us what time we post

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
My problem with the app is it’s bound to have major flaws. Also what if you’ve been hunting joes land all season and night before you go again he closes it but you don’t check because there’s no reason to believe he’d close it halfway through the season. Or how about joe has it open and is driving by to go to church and sees your truck sitting in the approach. No biggie till he sees that MAGA sticker on the bumper. Now joe is a bleeding heart liberal so he’s gonna fix that trump loving piece of shit and grabs his phone, closes his land on the app and then calls the sheriff. Either way your fucked.

Good points. A couple thoughts:
1. This would be no different than if Joe came out and hung paper signs while you are hunting his land.
2. With the app there would be at least be a time stamp when Joe actually made the change so LEO could see that. It could also be made so that changes don't take effect until midnight or something like that.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

I had a guy West of New Salem on old 10 put up posted signs while we were hunting. He never approached us he just put up the signs and left. When we looked at the signs he had them dated a week before they were put up.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only allowing the status to be changed once a day, change taking place at midnight would work. I can see how it would ruin your day when you had a plan and woke up to a red field though.

Last edited:

Feildhunter701

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not just leave things alone. Nobody likes change. North Dakota has been know for the best freelance duck hunting in the country. Nobody talks about tourism dollars being lost? Dam oil feild trash ruins another thing around here.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
well I think we all know the70- 75 year old who posts his land legally but can barley run a smart phone. again as long as there is some education or maybe a default white meaning no data entered I would that that could be doable

How is my 75 year old grandpa supposed to work the app on a smart phone that doesn’t exist. No computer either but he has a flip phone. Cant look at a paper map because it could be outdated from the day before. These are the issues that needed to be addressed with the app but our legislature thought that was too hard so it dropped the app idea all together....

IMHO it should be all or nothing. Either everyone posts it digitally or everyone does it physically. There is no reason to introduce more confusion and cause more conflicts between landowners and hunters.There is a way to make the app work and address all the concerns but our legislators can’t do the hard work to get it done.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
OK, I just gotta ask. Why wouldn't this approach work:
1. Create the database.
2. If a landowner doesn't enter info in the DB, their land would be treated like it is today. Post if you want it posted, leave it open if you want.
3. If a landowner does enter info in the DB, they could specify: Posted and don't ask, Posted but you can ask, not posted.

We were half way there to making this app thing work and then the legislature gave up on the idea. All they had to do was address the flaws and make sure the app will work before making it law but they gave up instead. Those poor old gray hairs can’t be pushed too hard you know...

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
How is my 75 year old grandpa supposed to work the app on a smart phone that doesn’t exist. No computer either but he has a flip phone. Cant look at a paper map because it could be outdated from the day before. These are the issues that needed to be addressed with the app but our legislature thought that was too hard so it dropped the app idea all together....

IMHO it should be all or nothing. Either everyone posts it digitally or everyone does it physically. There is no reason to introduce more confusion and cause more conflicts between landowners and hunters.There is a way to make the app work and address all the concerns but our legislators can’t do the hard work to get it done.

I think our opinions align a lot closer then you realize. I hate the fkn database idea period ripe for confusion but being the guy I am I t ty to see both sides and workable Solutions. I like how it is now but like it or not it’s going to change we can either be part and suggest workable idea so or watch it burn.

- - - Updated - - -

I struggle with digital posting over actual physical signs. Like have we really gotten to the point that actually written in English metal signs stating do not trespass will not count but an app will..... uff da.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem is there is no language in those bills to address these issues. Of course I knew the things you guys mentioned in my scenarios but there hasn't been anything put forth to address these things.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dont want wish bad things on anybody usually , but I think Erbele needs an IRS investigation, that might take his mind of this shit

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Data base my ass. The ND Sec. of State switched the annual corporate report from a paper form to an elctronic form this year. I could file my annual report in 10 minutes on the old paper form. I spent 2 hours trying to register this (^$#&*#@ form with the SOS office and when I got done I was no closer than I was before. If there would have been a button to hit EXPLODE I would have punched it.

Now take the old geezers like me who own land and are supposed to register in a hunting data base. The default easy button is going to be red, guarenteed. Good luck hunting.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Data base my ass. The ND Sec. of State switched the annual corporate report from a paper form to an elctronic form this year. I could file my annual report in 10 minutes on the old paper form. I spent 2 hours trying to register this (^$#&*#@ form with the SOS office and when I got done I was no closer than I was before. If there would have been a button to hit EXPLODE I would have punched it.

Now take the old geezers like me who own land and are supposed to register in a hunting data base. The default easy button is going to be red, guarenteed. Good luck hunting.
exactly. And right now the SOS is having a huge IT issue that hasn't been resolved in two days.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member

The app can be made so user friendly.... even a cave man could do it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 28
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 8