Updated SB 2315 Online

Dew1970

Totally agree dirty. Personally I could care less if this passes I think in the end it will be better for hunting and hopefully weed out the slob hunters. I do own land close to Bismarck and deal with calls and treaspassers so I am involved on both sides. I never let people who ask to hunt during season as I feel that should be done before season starts. Also this will NOT be the end of the world like everyone thinks

So if you don't own land we are slob hunters

MULEDEER

Established Member
Never said not owning land equals slob hunters. My point is I would like hunters to do the permission abtaining before season starts not just drive by see a critter and ask then. And after the word no is given you get the attitude this is my definition of slob hunters

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never said not owning land equals slob hunters. My point is I would like hunters to do the permission abtaining before season starts not just drive by see a critter and ask then. And after the word no is given you get the attitude this is my definition of slob hunters

I think this bill will do very little to thwart 'slob' hunters.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mule deer You are confused with slob hunters vs snob hunters, around our area we have no idea where deer will be during season or for that matter where they will be from day to day or hour to hour. I've seen deer run 3 to 5 miles without a shot being fired. If you have a tree stand that you have hunted out of for 30 years no big deal but around my area the 1500 people with tags would kinda crowd the 45 trees in our unit, do you get it now

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
SB 2315 Update - It appears the bill may be heard by BOTH the House Ag Committee where it is now AND the House Natural Resources Committee. The date for the joint hearing that has been floated around is Mar. 14, but I'll keep you updated on that. It was mentioned it may be as early as Mar. 7 (Thursday).

Here's the thing about the modified bill - THERE'S STILL NOTHING IN IT THAT DETERS TRESPASSING ANY MORE THAN WHAT WE HAVE NOW. In fact it can be argued it is MORE lenient, giving an infraction for a trespasser's first offense. The only goal this modified bill truly accomplishes is removing the posting requirement for some folks (though, they're still going to want to post their land, especially if their county doesn't participate) while adding a layer of technology created by a group where a good chunk of the lawmakers don't even have FB pages, and even less have Twitter or other advanced communication formats for constituent contact.

I encourage you to email both the the House Ag Committee AND THE House Energy & Natural Resources Committee (just in case) and tell them to issue a DO NOT PASS ahead of the hearing. The bright side is there will be a chance for public comment again in the hearing after a whole lot of behind the curtain activity last month. As a date gets solidified, consider going to the capital to speak on the subject.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
My point is I would like hunters to do the permission abtaining before season starts not just drive by see a critter and ask then

dumbest thing I’ve read on the internet today. Congratulations!

tulrich

dumbest thing I’ve read on the internet today. Congratulations!

Not sure what is so dumb about his post, that happens almost everyday where I am during pheasant season. Farmers/ranchers are not our enemies, they hold all the cards and they call all the shots. You want more hunting ground? My suggestion is to come out in the off-season and help a farmer fix fence, pick rock, etc. Just my 2 cents worth.

tulrich

Just trying to make a point that farmers/ranchers are not the enemy of us hunters, rich investors are. Once land gets sold/leased to the rich investors - more than likely you will never have access to that land again. Every year there are more "Leased Hunting Only" signs going up.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
farmers/ranchers are def. the enemy. they are the biggest pushers for this bill.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
njsimonson, thanks for the update. As for helping a farmer that doesn't help much to have a non-farmer around. Have somebody slug your combine cylinder and spend hours on repairs. Stab himself with a pitchfork, damage his back shoveling, no thanks, insurance is high enough.

Pheasants are like tomatoes, when you have enough give the rest away to someone else to enjoy. Right now there is a pile of birds snowed under, went to complete waste on posted land.

tulrich

i'm not here to make enemies, I don't like this piece of shit of bill either. I think it is a poorly written - half-assed attempt at fixing a trespassing problem that it will not solve. However, I do have a different view of how to treat the farmer/rancher and hopefully secure some hunting spots. IMO if I was a farmer/rancher reading some of the comments, I know what side of the fence I would be on.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pheasants are like tomatoes, when you have enough give the rest away to someone else to enjoy. Right now there is a pile of birds snowed under, went to complete waste on posted land.
Very real. Also the reason some hunters are not out early to ask permission, or help pick rocks is because many people on salary have no time for themselves or their family. Considering that many work week-end and some only get two weeks vacation. Those that advocate these things can't understand the circumstances some live with.

tulrich

Very real. Also the reason some hunters are not out early to ask permission, or help pick rocks is because many people on salary have no time for themselves or their family. Considering that many work week-end and some only get two weeks vacation. Those that advocate these things can't understand the circumstances some live with.

I can agree with you ...one size does not fit all. My original point was to try to improve sportsman - farmer/rancher relations if you think I am full of shit that is okay. Here is the last point I am going to make - Bad mouthing farmers/ranchers - calling them the enemy is not helping any of us sportsman out - that is for damn sure.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tulrich I'm not disagreeing with you, but simply getting you to look at the other side.
When some say farmers are the enemy this is my view: We hear some on here say Ducks Unlimited is the enemy. Organizations have no conscience whether it's Ducks Unlimited or Farm Bureau. It's there job to be single minded and work for their members. As some farmers on here seen Ducks Unlimited as the enemy I see Farm Bureau as the enemy. I see it that way because of their constant opposition to conservation. They work to block land purchases even though it's a farmer selling the land. They force landowners to accept the second highest bid. Evidently they neither believe in capitalism or free market. There are a few slob hunters and a few slob landowners. If we can see that we should be able to not cut each other's throat. It would appear organizations may represent their groups, but they also appear to drive us apart.

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
farmers/ranchers are def. the enemy. they are the biggest pushers for this bill.
A small vocal minority of farmers and ranchers are the enemy because they are pushing this bill. I don’t think there is as much support for this bill as the proponents state there is. Many landowners would love to see other solutions like free metal posted signs. Once the impact is felt after the ultimate goal of automatically posted is passed we will see many people realize what kind of impact hunters have on our state economy.

- - - Updated - - -

Just trying to make a point that farmers/ranchers are not the enemy of us hunters, rich investors are. Once land gets sold/leased to the rich investors - more than likely you will never have access to that land again. Every year there are more "Leased Hunting Only" signs going up.
This type of land purchasing will only increase with less hunters who advocate against the commercialization of our public wildlife resources. Taking away access from local hunters will only reduce the numbers participating. We cannot help if a landowner wants to post his land, but the big issue is taking away access to hunters via a automatically trespass bill. We should not make it harder to access unposted land.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Riddle me this: Does anyone here know a landowner who doesn't drive around on a daily basis? Anyone?? Especially in the summer waiting for harvest, or post harvest? The guys I know who farm seem to be endlessly coming from our going to some place. And without a doubt, they're routinely spot checking their property, and their neighbor's property, to see how things are looking.

So the whole argument that "it's too much work to post land" is hogwash when, on any given week, a guy may just visit half his land and be able to jump out and stable a No Hunting sign to a section line fence post.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
This bill is pure greed and has nothing to do with anything else. No way I am going out to help a farmer with chores so I may hunt. Farmers are acting like the wildlife is theirs and it is not. 98% of ranchers and farmers spend zero time and money on helping wildlife. I have friends and family that are farmers and the last thing on their mind is how they can help wildlife. Farming is a business and is treated as such. I am not bashing farming practices or how the farmer conducts his operation. They have right to do what ever they want to make a buck. But don't come on here and say that posting land takes too much time or is costly or I should do chores on the farm. That is when I call bullshit and you can kiss my ass. If passed all this bill will do is reduce the # of hunters, drive a bigger wedge between the general public and the landowners. You think I am going to support any subsidy programs to help farmers in the future? The agriculture groups have already made it crystal clear they despise non-landowners. Maybe the ranchers and farmers that support this bill should join forces with PETA. I am sure PETA is loving and supporting this as they know less hunters mean more public support for them.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow. Just wow. Your statement regarding 98% of farmers/ranchers don’t do anything or spend money to help wildlife is way off base. Broad generalized statements that bash all farmers and ranchers are not going to get this bill get defeated. I cannot believe the words that come out of people’s mouth. Some really boneheaded stuff has been said from both sides of this bill and it needs to stop. Next time you ask a farmer or rancher to hunt their property that holds YOUR wildlife, tell them what you have just posted on this website. Please record the response.

P.S. I really hope you have not contacted any member from the house or senate and said what you have posted here.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93