Updated SB 2315 Online

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think both sides are painting broad strokes with this conversation/argument. It comes off as landowners thinking all hunters are lazy slobs, and hunters thinking all landowners are lazy and greedy.

I think we can all agree that it's the 10 percent that are ruining it for the 90 percent of us. MOST HUMANS are just like every other ANIMAL on this planet: We tend to travel the path of least resistance.

The MAJORITY of farmers/landowners will post what they care about, and leave the rest open because it's EASIER. Or they'll post EVERYTHING or NOTHING because it's EASIER. And with this online database thing, if NOT having your information means your lands are posted and it's the easiest thing to do, THAT'S WHAT THE MAJORITY WILL DO.

Same with hunters. Unposted and public land is the path of least resistance. If you have buddies with land, that's a path of least resistance. Going out and scouting, buying PLATS books for every area you want to hunt, keeping notes and researching who recently sold land or leased land, that's TOUGH. And in areas that are already posted to the brim, it's what it takes to get on property legally. This bill wont' change that. What it will do is create that atmosphere STATEWIDE. So in places that aren't as pressured or where farmers really don't care and want to be left alone (so they either POST or DON'T). Now they'll be inundated with phone calls and late-evening door knocks because an online database shows that quarter with the duck slough is red (i.e. posted) and the farmer didn't bother to register it unposted and spout his private information to the entire digital hunting population.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
This bill is pure greed and has nothing to do with anything else. No way I am going out to help a farmer with chores so I may hunt. Farmers are acting like the wildlife is theirs and it is not. 98% of ranchers and farmers spend zero time and money on helping wildlife. I have friends and family that are farmers and the last thing on their mind is how they can help wildlife. Farming is a business and is treated as such. I am not bashing farming practices or how the farmer conducts his operation. They have right to do what ever they want to make a buck. But don't come on here and say that posting land takes too much time or is costly or I should do chores on the farm. That is when I call bullshit and you can kiss my ass. If passed all this bill will do is reduce the # of hunters, drive a bigger wedge between the general public and the landowners. You think I am going to support any subsidy programs to help farmers in the future? The agriculture groups have already made it crystal clear they despise non-landowners. Maybe the ranchers and farmers that support this bill should join forces with PETA. I am sure PETA is loving and supporting this as they know less hunters mean more public support for them.

this will get sent and quoted there and not for the good side

Dew1970

One of the main reason I have stayed in ND my whole life is for the hunting and fishing have had several chances to move to another state but lived the outdoors here getting land to hunt on has gotten harder through the years and now this how many others are just gonna leave and say hell with ND game and fish will lose alot of money over this

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Farmers/ranchers used to be extremely community orientated. That has changed drastically and will continue to get worse. The number of farmers tilling the land will continue to decline as the big boys continue to gobble up the little guys. They’ve become predatory in nature and that has spilled over in their attitude toward sportsman. It’s the reason the sportsmen have grown to resent them. And it makes no damn sense considering the tax payers subsidize the hell out of ag.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tidbit in the news today.

Hunting, fishing contribute $2.1 billion to ND's economy during 2017-18 season

BISMARCK, N.D. - Hunting and fishing in North Dakota brought in about $2.1 billion to the state's economy during the 2017-18 hunting season.

Anglers contributed more than hunters as they spent more $780 million compared to hunters who spent just short of $190 million.

“The last expenditure survey that was done in 2011 and 12 shows that we have since then, a $330 million increase since the last expenditure survey was conducted, so I think we're on the right track,” said Scott Peterson, deputy director of North Dakota Game and Fish Department.

Peterson said the Game and Fish Department likes to keep track of large trends to see if there is an increase or decrease in expenditures, which determines how it does business in North Dakota.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
And that number will plummet if this passes and farmers/ranchers won’t give a shit.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tidbit in the news today.

Hunting, fishing contribute $2.1 billion to ND's economy during 2017-18 season

BISMARCK, N.D. - Hunting and fishing in North Dakota brought in about $2.1 billion to the state's economy during the 2017-18 hunting season.

Anglers contributed more than hunters as they spent more $780 million compared to hunters who spent just short of $190 million.

“The last expenditure survey that was done in 2011 and 12 shows that we have since then, a $330 million increase since the last expenditure survey was conducted, so I think we're on the right track,” said Scott Peterson, deputy director of North Dakota Game and Fish Department.

Peterson said the Game and Fish Department likes to keep track of large trends to see if there is an increase or decrease in expenditures, which determines how it does business in North Dakota.

How much does the ndgf being in from hunting licenses compared to fishing licenses? Will they be able to fund the fishing operations to the current levels if hunter participation drops?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much does the ndgf being in from hunting licenses compared to fishing licenses? Will they be able to fund the fishing operations to the current levels if hunter participation drops?

I had the same question a couple of days ago and couldn't dig up an answer. Looks to me like they lump it all in one sum.

Another question I had was what all is included in the 2.1 Billion in the economy, That's huge and more than just license sales . My guess is that it includes the boat and tackle and all hunting and fishing equipment each and every one of us purchase in a year. Anyway no matter what direction 2315 goes remains to be seen, We get worked up but opening up communications in a civil manner is the solution, and working against each others will only lead to more problems. Bashing hunters and landowners because of their opinions is not going to solve anything in fact it will just make matters worse. I wouldn't expect anyone to come and help on the farm pich rock or fix fence or anything at all but any move in the right direction to defend our private property isn't asking a lot no matter where or what your property might be IMHO.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Scott Hennen has just announced on his radio program that he thinks the feds should sell the grasslands to private owners. People like him and the NDFB are the enemy to all of our cherished public lands. They could care less if we have land that is easy to access. Many of us rely on public lands as guaranteed access especially when hunting out west. Without these public lands many people around this country would not be able to hunt and our wildlife will be commercialized and sold to the highest bidder. We cannot afford to lose any of our public lands and cannot allow this to happen.

These people do not care about hunters so why should we work with them on anything?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the past I like Hennen for his conservative views. Farm Bureau is one of his big sponsors and I notice more and more he is becoming their mouth piece. I am also disappointed in how Ted Cruz is a mouth piece for The American Land Council which is simply a rebirth of the old Sagebrush Rebelion. They are little more than thieves paying lobbyists to buy enough politicians to steal all our public lands. I know these comments will get us a few more pages of Land Tawney, Land Tawney, Land Tawney. Yawn.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don’t think for a minute these same farmers/ranchers that are pushing this legislation won’t be pushing the sale of public lands next

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In the past I like Hennen for his conservative views. Farm Bureau is one of his big sponsors and I notice more and more he is becoming their mouth piece. I am also disappointed in how Ted Cruz is a mouth piece for The American Land Council which is simply a rebirth of the old Sagebrush Rebelion. They are little more than thieves paying lobbyists to buy enough politicians to steal all our public lands. I know these comments will get us a few more pages of Land Tawney, Land Tawney, Land Tawney. Yawn.
He sure pushes ethanol and wind power pretty hard for him to be a so called conservative. It’s getting more difficult to listen to his show with all the positions he has been pushing.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
He sure pushes ethanol and wind power pretty hard for him to be a so called conservative. It’s getting more difficult to listen to his show with all the positions he has been pushing.

Agree 100% Lately his shows are paid commercials.

I've given up personally. Major league sell-out.

And don't get me started on "spa guy" who makes miracle claims about water, how spas are miracle baths, how it releases herbicides and farmers smell it coming out of them when they climb into it, etc. I believe they smell it - but to claim the spas are curative and healthy is hilarious.
12038583_889666271112147_8363637417147356880_o.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

sorry to take the thread off-track - carry on

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
Scott Hennen has just announced on his radio program that he thinks the feds should sell the grasslands to private owners. People like him and the NDFB are the enemy to all of our cherished public lands. They could care less if we have land that is easy to access. Many of us rely on public lands as guaranteed access especially when hunting out west. Without these public lands many people around this country would not be able to hunt and our wildlife will be commercialized and sold to the highest bidder. We cannot afford to lose any of our public lands and cannot allow this to happen.

These people do not care about hunters so why should we work with them on anything?

I also heard the show. Not only were they pushing for the sale of the Grasslands but they also suggested there be "rules" as to who could and couldn't purchase the land. What is most scary to me is the radio poll had 70% support of this idea!

I hope everyone posting on this thread is contacting their legislators and urging their friends and family to do the same. We as sportsmen have a very powerful voice when we decide to use it constructively. Like the saying goes, "If you don't have a seat at the table, you are likely to be on the menu." Let them know we are at the table and taking notes on how they vote.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don’t think for a minute these same farmers/ranchers that are pushing this legislation won’t be pushing the sale of public lands next

You couldn't be saying these folks would have an advantage when it came to buying up these formerly public lands when compared to your average Joe could you?

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad this group is finally seeing the threat that exists, within this state. Think about it, they want to sell off the badlands and tell you to pound sand. The time for "niceties" is over. Its starting to effect each and every one of us.

I always liked the saying, "you may not take an interest in politics, but it sure takes an interest in you."

Some in this state, like Hennen, need a damn wake up call and that starts by drawing a line in the sand. Back off.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agree 100% Lately his shows are paid commercials.

I've given up personally. Major league sell-out.

And don't get me started on "spa guy" who makes miracle claims about water, how spas are miracle baths, how it releases herbicides and farmers smell it coming out of them when they climb into it, etc. I believe they smell it - but to claim the spas are curative and healthy is hilarious.
12038583_889666271112147_8363637417147356880_o.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

sorry to take the thread off-track - carry on

no worries, it appears he's working on committing suicide via electrocution

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there legislation concerning the sale of the badlands or other private lands? If so, what is it?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88