If you could live anywhere

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you could live anywhere, to fulfill your hunting/fishing needs, where would it be?
This is assuming that you have the money to do so. Won the lottery or whatever.

I don't have an exact spot picked out, but somewhere in Canada gets my immediate consideration.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Like the song says "Somewhere in the middle of Montana". Can always drive back home. LB

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also would change nothing. I certainly wouldn't let myself come under the communist thumb of Trudeau. It would be nice to be where you could hunt elk every year as a resident, but I would have to be rich enough to bring my friends if I moved.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
been thinking about this lately problem I'm running into is migration from dem states to south dakota and montana driving the prices up to unobtainable.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Could I live in more than one place or am I stuck in that ONE place all year?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i would have a north place for summer dog training and a south place for the winter. Tech ponds at both and grounds big enough to hold events.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would love to live in the mountains in MT. I have done a lot of looking and reading and I think the Helena area would be the place to be. You're in the mountain range for hunting and you have Canyon Ferry Lake which is a part of the Missouri River system so a guy could still walleye fish. I also wouldn't mind the Flathead Lake area but none of the lakes up there have walleye and I don't know if I could become a trout guy.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Could I live in more than one place or am I stuck in that ONE place all year?

Right! Some of the plains tribes had the right idea. Chase the hunting and gathering opportunities as the seasons change. Not much unlike a lot of us do when it comes to fishing. In the spring I am on the river in the BisMan area. Come June it's time to either hit up the small lakes of central ND, or get up to the western 1/3 of Sak until late summer. Being opportunistic is a life skill worth developing.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I asked myself this question and then moved to the place! Knowing what I know now, I would move to Soldotna area or Cooper Landing AK if job opportunities were there.

If I had unlimited money and no employment obligations, I'd maintain Alaska residency and be present in AK from mid May until end of September; ND from beginning of October - New Years and April-May; and then a ski town in Montana for January-March.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I asked myself this question and then moved to the place! Knowing what I know now, I would move to Soldotna area or Cooper Landing AK if job opportunities were there.

If I had unlimited money and no employment obligations, I'd maintain Alaska residency and be present in AK from mid May until end of September; ND from beginning of October - New Years and April-May; and then a ski town in Montana for January-March.
This ^^^^

Hamm's

Founding Member
Founding Member
When i was younger I couldn't wait to move to somewhere is Canada, Montana, Colorado or Wyoming. Now that I've been to all those areas, if not to fish or hunt, at least to visit, I'm glad I stayed here. Everywhere is getting wacko, and I'm afraid it's only a matter of time for us here.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I would prefer SD to ND due to the better bird hunting, and milder weather... But, what I really need is TIME. Time to take advantage of the opportunities right here at home.

The Mtn states are all filling up with hippies, and public land is becoming really overcrowded. It's lost a lot of appeal for me.

The logistics of hunting in AK, and lack of control over it, would probably not be for me either.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I would prefer SD to ND due to the better bird hunting, and milder weather... But, what I really need is TIME. Time to take advantage of the opportunities right here at home.

The Mtn states are all filling up with hippies, and public land is becoming really overcrowded. It's lost a lot of appeal for me.

The logistics of hunting in AK, and lack of control over it, would probably not be for me either.
completely agree.
I have about 5-8 more years of working for the man, then to the Black Hills I will head.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wouldn't want to go anywhere's but home, if we only could get the duck hunting back like we had to the 60's and 70's

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would take Kerobert Saskatchewan. Best Waterfowl hunting you can ever ask for. More Sharptail and Partridge then I have ever seen. Deer hunting so good with no posted land. Chance for Moose tag every year. Good chance for Antelope every year. And Coyotes all over the place. And great fishing. What more can a person ask for.

I have not lost any rights with biden and in Canada Trudeau wouldn't bother me either.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You're right on! Logistics of doing just small hunts in Alaska are substantial. There's really no such thing as doing a quick weekend hunt unless a person lives extremely rural. But as the question is presented and if a person had a large cash flow and tons of time off, there isn't a second place to AK. Hell, if a guy could just designate $20K and 6-8 weeks annually in Alaska (as a resident), a person could do some SERIOUS damage! At least as far as big game is concerned.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 156
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88