Jiffy Pro 4 propane auger, do you like yours?

WannaBFishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought a new 10" two years ago, carb lasted a little over a year and shit out (commend Jiffy customer service) as they sent a new one out at no cost. New carb I installed and now I have to question if it's the right one as it seems under power and leaks if a tank is left on. My last year of the heavy POS going to follow in Enslow's footsteps.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Biggest piece of shit ive ever bought, i would be less dissapointed had i bought a package of brownies, ate them, and then found out it was a package of actual shit. The only time i liked mine was the first two times out, now if the moon is aligned with venus, the temp is between 28 and 36 degrees, the auger is held at an exact 93 degree angle, the propane bottle is preheated, the propane line has been replaced in the last 24 hours, its a coleman brand tank, i grow a 3rd arm to tap on the regulator, the barometric pressure isnt too low, only then this auger might drill enough holes together to make one hole big enough to allow the sucker that bought it to drop it to the bottom of the lake.

Hahaha So it will run..... just need to tweak it a bit and put 'er on Craig's list.

Have had mine for 2 seasons, have had no issues and love it.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure how this years model is doing but jiffys propain auger had huge problems last year and many people had multiple augers fail in one season of use.

I have the Eskimo and its in its second season and the only time I may have a problem is when the tank gets low when cold so it taks s more then two pulls to start it.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've seen way more jiffy propane augers for sale on Bisman than any other newer auger. I have definitively heard more bad than good about them. I personally wouldn't buy propane from either brand that makes them. They are heavy, the engines are questionable, and the propane bottles just seem like a hassle. I personally think propane will be phased out within the next 5 years or so because of the advancements in electric. I think the only non-electric augers worth owning are the Honda and Tanaka power heads.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldnt sell that piece of shit to anyone....i dont wanna end up in small claims court a month later.

PapaWoodie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had my propane pro4 for 3 years now. Issue I had was leaking propane out if you kept the hose hooked up. Replaced rubber, didn't seem to matter. I replaced the hose, and have not had it off since. Always starts by the 3rd pull, runs smooth, no noise, plenty of torque and barely have to put any weight into it. Its the 10" model. Wouldn't trade it!

Scheels will take it back! These models do have issues. Swap it at scheels until you get a good one! Scheels does send many of these back, but they are getting better and better!

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
And I'm sure jiffy customer service would replace the parts as they break, but I'm going ice fishing tomorrow, not next month. So its either buy the 20 & 30 dollar parts where they're available and fix it myself, or don't fish.

throttle handle broke twice
no torque until the 4th hole
runs even shittier with an off brand propane tank
propane tank has to be heated
it weighs more than aunt Edna
propane line has cracked & leaked twice
regulator has gone bad once and going bad again
and its built with the absolute cheapest generic parts that can be found in Taiwan, the engine block is a universal generic mass production unit with no specific design.

the only thing I like is the screw and the blades....anyone know what brands of powerhead I can buy that will fit and turn the right direction?

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine seems to run pretty good, but its damn heavy. This is my 5th season. If I had to do it again, I might consider something else simply because of the weight. Poor MSA, he got a real turd!

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
After reading this thread I don't need a propane auger old 30 does just fine.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I won't say I dislike mine however I have had the same issues. The blades only cut a couple trips out then I ran into a peice of copper wire about a foot long. Just regular wire nothing terribly stiff but it messed things up enough that it cuts like shit and I have to lean on it but not too much cuz yea it will stall. If just a tiny bit of ice gets on the "claw" parts of the drill it even cuts worse, actually not at all. Also it's a heavy son of a bitch. I'm a good sized guy and can handle some weight but when things get thick and especially when you need to add the extension after 10 holes you really want to question whether you have lost your damn mind. And yes with some models the oil leak thing is a real pain in the ass, but you'll only let it happen once. I like how it starts pretty much anytime in any weather and those first couple trips out it cuts like a beast. I'm going to buy a whole new drill and give it one more shot maybe. I replaced the drill on my strikemaster and it's cutting pretty sweet again.

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
Biggest piece of shit ive ever bought, i would be less dissapointed had i bought a package of brownies, ate them, and then found out it was a package of actual shit. The only time i liked mine was the first two times out, now if the moon is aligned with venus, the temp is between 28 and 36 degrees, the auger is held at an exact 93 degree angle, the propane bottle is preheated, the propane line has been replaced in the last 24 hours, its a coleman brand tank, i grow a 3rd arm to tap on the regulator, the barometric pressure isnt too low, only then this auger might drill enough holes together to make one hole big enough to allow the sucker that bought it to drop it to the bottom of the lake.

That intro is a classic.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys just need to spend $600 bucks on a Kdrill and Milwaukee fuel 18 and your problems will be solved and won't be griping about gas or propane or this and that.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm on my third year of the 10 inch propane pro 4 and have had no issues yet. It's heavy as said by several people but it has been a cutting machine in my experience

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used one a bunch of times. It cuts good only down side I have seen with it is the high idle screw needs to be tweaked with everytime depending on the weather. After a little tinkering it runs great.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the weight on your setup?

Tanaka with the 8 inch Kluge flighting is 17lbs. Enslow will have to chime in about the eskimo weight.

Last edited:

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Pro 4 Propane. Loved it the first year, ran like $hit the last 2 years, and this year after giving Sharbono Repair in Devils Lake $60 it runs and cuts great and I like it again. Problem he said was that it was a gas motor converted to propane. The dry propane would stiffen the reeds and some oil tends to get in the carb and gum it up.

If not for my liking a larger whole (I've always had 9" flights), I'd buy a K-drill (about $250) and a Milwaukee drill with 2 batteries (about $200). Friends who have them love them. Super light, can drill about 40 6" holes on one battery, can just keep it in the cab of your vehicle, and a simple converter in your vehicle will allow the charger to be charging your battery. Plus you have a good cordless drill for those around the home jobs.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Pro 4 Propane. Loved it the first year, ran like $hit the last 2 years, and this year after giving Sharbono Repair in Devils Lake $60 it runs and cuts great and I like it again. Problem he said was that it was a gas motor converted to propane. The dry propane would stiffen the reeds and some oil tends to get in the carb and gum it up.

If not for my liking a larger whole (I've always had 9" flights), I'd buy a K-drill (about $250) and a Milwaukee drill with 2 batteries (about $200). Friends who have them love them. Super light, can drill about 40 6" holes on one battery, can just keep it in the cab of your vehicle, and a simple converter in your vehicle will allow the charger to be charging your battery. Plus you have a good cordless drill for those around the home jobs.

Exactly as I said a couple posts earlier!

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought the KDrill after three years of wishing. Think going to get the Milwaukee too for thin ice conditions.

Going to mostly pair it with the 2 stroke Solo. Doug seemed happy with the Solo high compression so figured have a 10 inch chipper when desired, the 8" k drill and the luxury of using electric when want.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88