Missing Hunter

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
WHITMAN, N.D. -- The Walsh County Sheriff’s Department and volunteers will continue their efforts today to locate a hunter who went missing Saturday.

1. Walsh County Sheriff Ron Jurgens said his department began searching for a 45-year-old man at about 10 a.m. Saturday in the southwest corner of the county. The man’s name was not released Saturday, but Jurgens said the man has a beard and is wearing camouflage bibs and a tan shirt.
    The man’s wife last heard from him around 8 p.m. Friday. He was supposed to meet his father early Saturday morning to go deer hunting.
    Jurgens said there is no known health reason that would factor into the man going missing.

Search crews found the missing man's all-terrain vehicle tipped over and his pickup nearby. The Grand Forks County Sheriff’s Office supplied unmanned aircraft while the U.S. Border Patrol provided helicopters for aerial searches, Jurgens said. On the ground, law enforcement and about 125 volunteers searched by foot and ATV.
    A command center was set up a few miles northwest of Whitman, a town about 63 miles northwest of Grand Forks.
    Crews suspended the search at sundown Saturday, but the search will continue this morning, Jurgens said.
    Anyone with information is asked to contact the Walsh County Sheriff's Department at (701) 352-2041. Those who wish to volunteer for the search should meet at 8 a.m. today at the Lankin (N.D.) Fire Hall.

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/ne...h-continue-sunday-missing-hunter-walsh-county

Prayers for all involved

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Prayers sent. I hope for the best. Wish I had to right words.

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know area well, lot Crp and cat tails. Prayers to family and all helping bring this man home.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like said this whole thing is vary odd. What's he doing out there that late and if he was hurt you think he would have left a sent trail that dogs could follow. Trying to figure out if this looks like some kind accident or possibly foul play?:confused:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just weird. Talked to his wife at 8:00 PM, then his truck, ATV, and hunting clothes are left in the field? Seems very fishy.

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
No foul play, sounds like rolled atv after talking to wife. Dogs couldn't get trail after it ended in big slough. Praying they can find him.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
What in the fuck? Unless you rolled the atv in the slough, why would you end up in one?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Knocked goofy after accident? Gosh I hope this is resolved for the better but it seems bad. :(

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took 4 articles until one contained at least something that made sense...the sheriff said, "he was last heard from by his wife at 8 pm and was going back out to sleep in his pick up". Why would any writer who knew the part about sleeping in his truck not include it? I couldn't figure out wtf he was doing out riding around on his atv at 8 pm. I am guessing he had it parked in a strategic place where he could watch deer. Wanted to be there well before sun up without disturbing the deer so he could watch them bed down. 8 am would be a bit early to leave and meet someone though.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Knocked goofy after accident? Gosh I hope this is resolved for the better but it seems bad. :(

That's the only option that makes any sense and even that is still messed up. So he was going to sleep in his truck....that still doesn't answer why hes out driving around on an ATV three hours after dark. So far we are at 2+2=27.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeah..hope for the best. His hunting cap found as well. Has anyone mentioned hypothermia?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe he was doing a little drinking while out 4 wheeling, got turned around, possibly injured, and tried to walk back to his pickup.

I would think sitting in a pickup all night, might include some ice cold Busch lights.

Either way, heres hoping for the best.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sheriff Ron Jurgens says they've found the body of a man believed to be missing deer hunter, Travis Vorachek of Grand Forks.
Jurgens says they have not made a positive I.D. yet, but the man was wearing the same clothes as Vorachek was last seen wearing. He says Vorachek was found about a half mile from where his ATV was found rolled over. The body was lying in cattails and water.

The Sheriff says it appears he succumbed to cold temperatures.

- - - Updated - - -

:(

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
;:;boohooSucks, still doesnt completely add up in my little head. Wondering if well get more details, maybe alcohol involved?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 37
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 12