No UND/North Dakota option on UND nickname ballot with update on voting process

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alright warren, let me slow this down a bit for you. No one is talking about the Sioux nickname. This is about not having the most popular option of just remaining North Dakota as an option to even vote on. Try living in the present.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I guess only UND fans are loyal to nicknames. You know, when Marquette University won the National Championship in MEn's Basketball, they were the Warriors. Then they changed their name. Too bad their athletic department folded due to loss of millions of dollars in pulled donations. Oh, wait a second, that didn't happen did it. What you seem to not be seeing through the trees, is that donations were supposed to fall off the earth when the name was retired. Oh, wait, that didn't happen. Fundraising is at an all time high and they are building new athletic facilities. Now you want me to believe that the same group who wined through everything 5 years ago is suddenly going to man up and stop donating? They were going to quit going to games too. Tickets still seem to sell pretty fast. Haven't seen a decrease in attendance, have you? Just like people were going to quit driving when they had to wear seatbelts. What you seem to be ignoring is that the business that directly relates to the nickname, athletics, is really only a sub-division of the NCAA. And the business has more power than the people who are afraid of change. Just keeping it real.

I'll just take the advice given in your signature.

freiday31

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll just take the advice given in your signature.

I just keep hearing the same argument. Think about the millions of dollars... It didn't happen when the name was retired, and everyone wanted to keep the name. Now, they will lose millions because nobody likes the choice... I can guess what will happen. Nothing. People will buy the new gear as soon as it is out. Just like nobody was ever going to cheer for the Wild because they aren't the North Stars. Your argument is that of a child having a tantrum and you know it isn't true. The reason that people want the nickname "North Dakota" is because then UND will always be the Sioux. Not officially, but in our hearts. If you want to talk about being an idiot, simply look at your argument about fundraising. Did fundraising decrease after the Fighting Sioux nickname was retired? But now its going to cost UND millions from pissed off alumni? I suppose in UND makes it to the Frozen Four, you will boycot watching it because of the team nickname? I highly doubt it. Will you buy a University of North Dakota North Stars national championship t-shirt. Probably. I love the Fighting Sioux name as much as anyone. My teams wore and used the logo until I was flat out told I couldn't use it any longer. I also believe in doing what is best for the athletes, and not red-assed alumni.

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alright warren, let me slow this down a bit for you. No one is talking about the Sioux nickname. This is about not having the most popular option of just remaining North Dakota as an option to even vote on. Try living in the present.

Even you can't be stupid enough to believe remaining North Dakota as an option isn't just a way to continue using the Sioux name. Wait you can be. Clueless. HAHAHAHAHA

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got an email telling me I am eligible to vote. I wonder if I can write in "Fighting Sioux?"

freiday31

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got an email telling me I am eligible to vote. I wonder if I can write in "Fighting Sioux?"

The the "National Collaboration of Absolute Assholes" allows it without punishing the athletes, I will be voting right with you. Still the best nickname in the history of sport.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Warren, you laugh a lot. Any nickname they decide on isn't going to stop people from chanting Sioux during games or at the end of the national anthem. Now put your earmuffs back on and don't click on a thread about the UND nickname if you are tired of hearing about it. That's what intelligent people would do anyway. So I am expecting a response in 3...2...1

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I, along with 99.99% of North Dakotan's are so fucking sick of you whiny ass Sioux only name idiots. It's only a name, if it changes the sun still comes up tomorrow. Get over it and grow up. I can only imagine how much a pain in the ass you petulant children are to those who have to associate with you. As far as going to FBO, screw you, I thought this was the new improved site that we could share or say what we wanted to. If you are too hurt to hear the truth maybe you need to leave. HAHAHAHAHA

Who poked the forum idiot? ^

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who poked the forum idiot? ^

Tell me something, when you whiny ass sioux hockey only girls don't get your way on this, what next? The low testosterone level amonsgt this group is alarming and needs to be checked. Even the loyal normal Sioux fans know it's time to move on.:;:deadhorse

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder what kind of outcry would happen if the humane society or peta would start attacking animal nicknames. In today's slippery PC world, you know its coming next. Would the Bison faithful willfully swallow this? Bulldogs? Gophers? I hope not. So when Sioux fans are upset by a lousy list of selections you should keep an open mind and realize this could happen to any program. Next, the NCAA will require a botanical name because plants don't have emotions . . .

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have sent an email to Mr. Kelley. I would suggest others do the same (not likely that it will change anything, but at least try), feel free to use the one below or modify as you see fit (but remember to keep it somewhat civilized). I do not feel someone who will be retiring soon should be making this huge decision. The nickname choices are laughable at best and the majority of people were ignored. Roughriders? C'Mon Man.

robert.kelley@email.und.edu

Dear Mr. Kelley,

As a UND Alumni, I am greatly frustrated in your decision to not include the nickname option of UND/North Dakota on the final list to be voted on in October. The majority of students, alumni, fans, and other UND supporters are not ready to adopt a new nickname at this point in time. While realizing that the former nickname must be left behind; now is not the time to ramrod a new moniker for the school. Many people I have talked with, in fact I would say at least 90% of the people I have talked to, are not in favor of any of the new nickname choices. These same people are also disappointed in the decision to not include UND/North Dakota as an option.

University of North Dakota speaks for itself; there is no need to adopt a new nickname, especially in an age where people get offended by anything. It is actually quite comical to see “roughriders” on the final list. Do you realize what the roughriders thought of Native Americans? I’ll bet money if that name gets selected, someone will be offended, given the former nickname of UND.

I don’t understand how you (or the selection committee) did not listen to the overwhelming majority of people who want to see that option left on the ballot. Why even hold a vote if the majority of votes are going to be ignored? I realize this has been a very controversial subject for many years, but your decision on the final list of names will change the university forever. The final list of names does not give UND a unique identity. Frankly, I (as well as a lot of other people) think they are terrible. The choices are plain, boring, and do not stand out. Might as well adopt new school colors while we’re at it.

I am not going to drag out this email, as there is much more I would like to say. I want to reiterate that I am displeased in this decision and a lot of Alumni support will be lost over this, including me. The majority of people were ignored and that does not sit right with me. I hope you reevaluate your decision to include UND/North Dakota as an option and put it back on the ballot and let the people decide. If so many people are in support of a new nickname like you suggest, then there should be no worry that one of those new awesome nicknames will be chosen by the majority in October.

Regards,

Last edited:

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree they should have kept ND as an option but I think this may be a blessing in disguise. They fans can say screw this new lame nickname and let's continue on unofficially as the sioux. Because UND picked a new name now the NCAA can't complain that they didn't try to move on and try to sanction us. We will see how this turns out....

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree they should have kept ND as an option but I think this may be a blessing in disguise. They fans can say screw this new lame nickname and let's continue on unofficially as the sioux. Because UND picked a new name now the NCAA can't complain that they didn't try to move on and try to sanction us. We will see how this turns out....

I hear ya, but I have no doubt in my mind that NCAA would sanction UND for fans chanting Sioux at NCAA games and/or wearing Sioux gear regardless of if we pick a nickname or not. This PC crap is getting old. Freedom of speech is being eroded more and more as the people of this country are turning into a bunch of offended sissies where everyone gets an award, and where if you don't like something you can get it banned or outlawed or restricted...

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
This nanny state bullcrap has to end. Anyone sending in a properly marked ballot is a PoS! Either write in fighting Sioux, drunks, UND, NCAA tards, or mark every name and write underneath "they all seem gay" etc. But giving these people thousands of legitimate votes will only stroke their egos, and make them think they did right.

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have sent an email to Mr. Kelley. I would suggest others do the same (not likely that it will change anything, but at least try), feel free to use the one below or modify as you see fit (but remember to keep it somewhat civilized). I do not feel someone who will be retiring soon should be making this huge decision. The nickname choices are laughable at best and the majority of people were ignored. Roughriders? C'Mon Man.

robert.kelley@email.und.edu

Dear Mr. Kelley,

As a UND Alumni, I am greatly frustrated in your decision to not include the nickname option of UND/North Dakota on the final list to be voted on in October. The majority of students, alumni, fans, and other UND supporters are not ready to adopt a new nickname at this point in time. While realizing that the former nickname must be left behind; now is not the time to ramrod a new moniker for the school. Many people I have talked with, in fact I would say at least 90% of the people I have talked to, are not in favor of any of the new nickname choices. These same people are also disappointed in the decision to not include UND/North Dakota as an option.

University of North Dakota speaks for itself; there is no need to adopt a new nickname, especially in an age where people get offended by anything. It is actually quite comical to see “roughriders” on the final list. Do you realize what the roughriders thought of Native Americans? I’ll bet money if that name gets selected, someone will be offended, given the former nickname of UND.

I don’t understand how you (or the selection committee) did not listen to the overwhelming majority of people who want to see that option left on the ballot. Why even hold a vote if the majority of votes are going to be ignored? I realize this has been a very controversial subject for many years, but your decision on the final list of names will change the university forever. The final list of names does not give UND a unique identity. Frankly, I (as well as a lot of other people) think they are terrible. The choices are plain, boring, and do not stand out. Might as well adopt new school colors while we’re at it.

I am not going to drag out this email, as there is much more I would like to say. I want to reiterate that I am displeased in this decision and a lot of Alumni support will be lost over this, including me. The majority of people were ignored and that does not sit right with me. I hope you reevaluate your decision to include UND/North Dakota as an option and put it back on the ballot and let the people decide. If so many people are in support of a new nickname like you suggest, then there should be no worry that one of those new awesome nicknames will be chosen by the majority in October.

Regards,

99% of the people I talk to wish you nickname nazis would go away. I know for a fact my stats are closer to the real deal than yours are.

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
99%? Okay troll.

How did the state vote on this matter? Ever notice how eyes glaze over when you bring this up? Were you one of the 20 at the rally? Ya, it really matters to the majority. North Dakota is the name of the greatest state in the USA, not a nickname for some crazed hockey fans. Kelly knows what he's doing.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did rebel the best way I could. I cancelled my $$ supporting athletic scholarships and no longer provide any funds to UND, and I didn't even go to school at UND. So, I figured they no longer needed my $1,100/yr. When the booster club called and asked why I decided to forego my six years of support I told them to take those season tickets and have them shove 'em up Dr. Kelley's arse. The gal laughed and said she'd certainly pass on that message.

There. Point closed. Find another benefactor. Sooner or later they'll have a much smaller money pool to grab from.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear ya, but I have no doubt in my mind that NCAA would sanction UND for fans chanting Sioux at NCAA games and/or wearing Sioux gear regardless of if we pick a nickname or not. This PC crap is getting old. Freedom of speech is being eroded more and more as the people of this country are turning into a bunch of offended sissies where everyone gets an award, and where if you don't like something you can get it banned or outlawed or restricted...

Right, don't sanction the other schools who use the Fighting Sioux nickname in a derogatory fashion, instead sanction the location that holds it in high esteem. That seems about right. What a country....;:;banghead

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88