• Did you get a deer ?

Votes: 63 49.2%
  • Did you get a deer license ?

Votes: 60 46.9%
  • Did you get 2 deer licenses ?

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Did you get 3 or more deer licenses ?

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Did you see less deer this year than usual ?

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • Did you get 2 deer ?

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Did you get 3 or more deer ?

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Do you wish you would have gotten a deer license ?

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • Does this poll anger you ?

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • Was this poll helpfull ?

Votes: 17 13.3%

• Total voters

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone like amaretto sours? I am about 4 deep after a long day of basketball but I can not believe how different our two systems of deer licensing is. I feel really vindicated I made the right decision leaving Fargo

Does it really take much?

- - - Updated - - -

As I was hunting tonight,watching several large sleughs burn in the distance. I was thinking instead of having 150 acres to get a gratis tag, maybe I the requirement should be x amount of habitat. Most farmers would still get a tag but the guys who burn everything every year might be out of luck.unless they still have x amount of habitat

Just out of curiousity, what have you done in creating habitat?

Turtle

maybe it should be that you apply for a deer tag, if successful you can bow hunt starting ~sept 1, rifle or bow hunt during rifle season, bow hunt or muzzy during muzzy season, and then bow hunt until end of bow season.. You take a deer at any point and your done for the year

If they went to a one tag system I would quit bow hunting. Last 10 years I ate my rifle tag once, my bow tag 7 times. Even if it is the way you describe. I would only use bow if I didn't fill my rifle. I spent a majority of my work in bow hunting, more time, hanging tree stands, scouting. For a 30 percent success rate. But thats not why I use a bow. Just to be in the woods and see the changing of the seasons. from green leaves to brown grass to pure white snow.

But I would never give up rifle, not only harvesting the meat but more for the gathering of my hunting buddies. I don't get why all the hard work I but into archery, I get punished. Just because I shot two bucks one year?

BX2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own about 20 acres' dont mow or hay it. Planted a garden that we only got 3 squash and 1zuckuini off of, deer got the rest. Planted 5 apple trees for them. The deer killed them all. Bought 3 more to plant in the spring, need to fence them in better I guesse. Hoping to get a couple acres dug and planted in corn next year.but said that last year too. Trees cover about half of the property and there is one old apple tree there but would like to add about 10 more . why?

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
To be honest if I told you what I do for wildlife conservation most here would either tell me I am lying or patting myself on the back so I'll just say I do my part and leave it at that. As far as being a sportsman , In my own mind yes but to others on here not so much. I was raised different than most on here, I was taught that if you really believe in something it's worth defending your opinion about it, I guess on social media it's called whining. I'm not feeling good about what I have posted but my opinion remains the same .

Thanks for responding. I am not explaining myself and don't expect others either at this point. My point is to get people to look in the mirror and ask themselves.
I'm tired of the fingers and lines drawn with the F U attitude some have here. We all claim but most of us are arm chair quarter backs in the end.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not in favor of a 1 tag system. But, I couldn't care less if someone else is. Not sure why folks get so riled up about differing opinions. And I also don't think discussions like this hurt the site. I rather enjoy reading the back and forth.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only if people want to make it that way and continue pointing fingers at each other. Everyone here "claims" to be sportsmen and looking out for the "future" but I have still seen/Heard very little proof over the years aside from just a few members what they contribute.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm with Davey on starting and finishing fights, both never always go my way. But this kind of B.S. is a plague on all sides and just what any anti wants to see, with the longer it goes the less sympathy I have for those that attack landowners so quickly

I hope you didn't take me seriously.

I think next year a self moderated 6 day cool down period after the lottery and the end of season would be nice.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by BX2

As I was hunting tonight,watching several large sleughs burn in the distance. I was thinking instead of having 150 acres to get a gratis tag, maybe I the requirement should be x amount of habitat. Most farmers would still get a tag but the guys who burn everything every year might be out of luck.unless they still have x amount of habitat

I own about 20 acres' dont mow or hay it. Planted a garden that we only got 3 squash and 1zuckuini off of, deer got the rest. Planted 5 apple trees for them. The deer killed them all. Bought 3 more to plant in the spring, need to fence them in better I guesse. Hoping to get a couple acres dug and planted in corn next year.but said that last year too. Trees cover about half of the property and there is one old apple tree there but would like to add about 10 more . why?

Why? because I did not realize that creating habitat was the requirement getting a tag. If it is how many people on here would not get one?

You do realize that there are far more deer that survive to have fawns that live off corn, soybeans, sunflowers, chickpeas, stubble than do zuchini and squash patches even if cat tail sloughs that drift full of snow are burned right?

I hope you were able to earn a good living off the squash and zuchini you raised on your land.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
the results are in davey. if you haven't noticed, surveys don't swing too wildly around here after marinating a full day or two. actually, one would have to question the results if it did start making a wild swing at this point.

so a little better than 3 out of 4 of your 'peers' set their emotions aside, reviewed and understood the data, and recognize a one tag system is an absolutely stupid idea.

now what? crusade over?

Last edited:

BX2

Founding Member
Founding Member
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by BX2

Why? because I did not realize that creating habitat was the requirement getting a tag. If it is how many people on here would not get one?
I knew you were trying to bait me into something. My point was perhaps others deserved gratis tags more. i thinka guy who has 80acres of crp with food plots is probly more deseving of a gratis tag than a guy who owns 1000 acres of black dirt and burnt out sleughs
You do realize that there are far more deer that survive to have fawns that live off corn, soybeans, sunflowers, chickpeas, stubble than do zuchini and squash patches even if cat tail sloughs that drift full of snow are burned right? Yep.but the loss of winter habitat is greatly afecting deer and pheasants.loss of crp etc a combined feild doesnt help much, especialy in the rrv where eveything is dug under.squash and pumpkins are a great late season food source.just checked today and they are still eating them
hope you were able to earn a good living off the squash and zuchini you raised on your land.
Why the dick reply?

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Why the dick reply?

It was a simple obvious observation. There is quite a bit of this state outside the RRV even though those living there for some reason seem to think it is the center of the universe.

In another thread on here about the G&F advisory meeting, someone was talking about how their uncle had sugar beets in the RRV and it was "like a game farm" if I recall correctly.

The simple fact is that agriculture even with reduced deer numbers STILL supports more white tail deer across this state than before when it was simple prairie.

The vast majority of those that get gratis tags are using these lands to earn a living, not as some hobby garden/wildlife haven. You want to require these people to create habitat, most often at a cost of thousands of dollars to them, yet I would wager most on this site do little to nothing to create habitat for the wildlife they hunt.

So what would you require of those not getting a gratis tag but a regular tag to do to support the deer herd for the 340 some days they are not hunting?

Last edited:

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
gst isn't the only dick on here, just the most annoying. For the most part everyone is a dick once in a while, some are better than others, some are subtle, some are not. Maybe we need a poll for who is the biggest dick? any wagers on who perverts that last statement first?

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
:;:huh

ETA - who would have thought that a topic about deer licenses would turn into needing 2 more polls about who is the biggest dick and who is the biggest perv.....

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was a simple obvious observation. There is quite a bit of this state outside the RRV even though those living there for some reason seem to think it is the center of the universe.

In another thread on here about the G&F advisory meeting, someone was talking about how their uncle had sugar beets in the RRV and it was "like a game farm" if I recall correctly.

The simple fact is that agriculture even with reduced deer numbers STILL supports more white tail deer across this state than before when it was simple prairie.

The vast majority of those that get gratis tags are using these lands to earn a living, not as some hobby garden/wildlife haven. You want to require these people to create habitat, most often at a cost of thousands of dollars to them, yet I would wager most on this site do little to nothing to create habitat for the wildlife they hunt.

So what would you require of those not getting a gratis tag but a regular tag to do to support the deer herd for the 340 some days they are not hunting?

You should take a cruise around the state and see the habitat destruction. It is terrible. It does not matter how tags are allocated when there isn’t any grass for the does to have their fawns. In 5 years most low ground will be tiled. We are in the “modern Hay Day” so to speak right now as far as deer numbers go.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
gst isn't the only dick on here, just the most annoying. For the most part everyone is a dick once in a while, some are better than others, some are subtle, some are not. Maybe we need a poll for who is the biggest dick? any wagers on who perverts that last statement first?

Change the word "dick" to "asshat" and it would solve the last part.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not educated enough to differentiate between asshat and dick.... but his grinning response speaks volumes to me...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
From when I first started hunting to now there are roughly 127,000 more people in North Dakota, I don't know for sure but I think hunting is more popular now days than it was back then. Add that to habitat loss.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
From when I first started hunting to now there are roughly 127,000 more people in North Dakota, I don't know for sure but I think hunting is more popular now days than it was back then. Add that to habitat loss.

I agree, more persons pursuing a limited resource. Combine that with greed and lack of respect for others and it gets ugly. When will the hunting community realize there are more non hunters and if they decide to use all avenues of attack, the sport could be in jeopardy. Government by who can scream the loudest is not a good form for our interests.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey, I have an idea. Rather that telling each other how stupid we are why don't we simmer down and let the 2nd poll run it's course without counting the eggs before they hatch and in the mean time we can discuss solutions.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 184
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 64