• Did you get a deer ?

Votes: 63 49.2%
  • Did you get a deer license ?

Votes: 60 46.9%
  • Did you get 2 deer licenses ?

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Did you get 3 or more deer licenses ?

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Did you see less deer this year than usual ?

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • Did you get 2 deer ?

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Did you get 3 or more deer ?

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Do you wish you would have gotten a deer license ?

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • Does this poll anger you ?

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • Was this poll helpfull ?

Votes: 17 13.3%

• Total voters

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The polls are meaningless. There are no solutions to the habitat issue when rent is more profitable than CRP payments. Just leave the tag system alone as any changes made won’t be for the better.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
You should take a cruise around the state and see the habitat destruction. It is terrible. It does not matter how tags are allocated when there isn’t any grass for the does to have their fawns. In 5 years most low ground will be tiled. We are in the “modern Hay Day” so to speak right now as far as deer numbers go.

Don;t have to cruise anywhere as it is as bad in our back yard as it is anywhere. But hey the Federal govt manages these things so well.......

Here is the reality the same people that want the results of this nations cheap food policies are the same ones that are pissed they are hitting deer with their cars because there are too many. Those people outnumber hunters AND farmers.

I decided about 15 years ago to create our own areas of habitat on some of the lands we farm and ranch on. It has been a lot of work and a substantial bit of monies to accomplish what we now have and are going to continue to create.

Granted not everyone has a ranch or a farm to build their habitat, but how many of those bitching on here have actually put the effort into developing a relationship with someone that does to build and create habitat that could benefit them as well as the farmer or rancher?

All we hear on these sites is #$%@&%$@#@ farmers tearing out tree rows. My guess here is the loudest bitchers have done little themselves.

Can someone please list why someone else running a business has to do so in a manner to accomodate someone elses recreational opportunities.

I get it, I drive around and tell my boys all the spots that used to be great hunting areas around here that are gone. But the bottom line is farming is still a business no different than any other business so why not complain about the development of the urban sprawl that is gobbling up lands all across this nation.

A deer has a better chance of surviving a winter in a combined tiled corn field than a cement parking lot or someone 10 acre ranchette.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/04/us/2-farm-acres-lost-per-minute-study-says.html

http://www.everythingconnects.org/urban-sprawl.html

Coldfront

Established Member
There are some deer hunters out there that have been lucky in the lottery system and those that haven't. I would like to know the demographics of the deer hunter. Like age versus amount of years with no tag. From what I have read the lottery system works for 70 percent of the hunters, it is the other 30 percent that have to wait for years to get a tag. A friend of mine for an example was unlucky until this year when he drew a tag after 6 years and now with a bout with cancer will never get another chance. How about the hunter that has not had a tag in lets say 5 years or more? I think that the system should be changed to like the military draft system from years ago the tags are filled by first those that haven't had a tag in 5 years or more, then 4 to 5 years if the tags are not gone then from 3 years to 4 years etc. ect. until all tags are gone. By this method nobody would ever have to wait that long again. I would 2 years max. If it is your first applying then get in line.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey, I have an idea. Rather that telling each other how stupid we are why don't we simmer down and let the 2nd poll run it's course without counting the eggs before they hatch and in the mean time we can discuss solutions.

wait, the poll isn't the solution? here I thought the results were going to be as crucial as a g&f mission statement!

#weneeda3rdpoll

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are some deer hunters out there that have been lucky in the lottery system and those that haven't. I would like to know the demographics of the deer hunter. Like age versus amount of years with no tag. From what I have read the lottery system works for 70 percent of the hunters, it is the other 30 percent that have to wait for years to get a tag. A friend of mine for an example was unlucky until this year when he drew a tag after 6 years and now with a bout with cancer will never get another chance. How about the hunter that has not had a tag in lets say 5 years or more? I think that the system should be changed to like the military draft system from years ago the tags are filled by first those that haven't had a tag in 5 years or more, then 4 to 5 years if the tags are not gone then from 3 years to 4 years etc. ect. until all tags are gone. By this method nobody would ever have to wait that long again. I would 2 years max. If it is your first applying then get in line.

That was basically what was mentioned at the advisory meeting a few years ago - a tiered lottery. Everyone seemed to like the idea but it went nowhere.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That was basically what was mentioned at the advisory meeting a few years ago - a tiered lottery. Everyone seemed to like the idea but it went nowhere.

How could this be considered a random lottery please explain this, for the record i like the idea of rotation system.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don;t have to cruise anywhere as it is as bad in our back yard as it is anywhere. But hey the Federal govt manages these things so well.......

Here is the reality the same people that want the results of this nations cheap food policies are the same ones that are pissed they are hitting deer with their cars because there are too many. Those people outnumber hunters AND farmers.

I decided about 15 years ago to create our own areas of habitat on some of the lands we farm and ranch on. It has been a lot of work and a substantial bit of monies to accomplish what we now have and are going to continue to create.

Granted not everyone has a ranch or a farm to build their habitat, but how many of those bitching on here have actually put the effort into developing a relationship with someone that does to build and create habitat that could benefit them as well as the farmer or rancher?

All we hear on these sites is #$%@&%$@#@ farmers tearing out tree rows. My guess here is the loudest bitchers have done little themselves.

Can someone please list why someone else running a business has to do so in a manner to accomodate someone elses recreational opportunities.

I get it, I drive around and tell my boys all the spots that used to be great hunting areas around here that are gone. But the bottom line is farming is still a business no different than any other business so why not complain about the development of the urban sprawl that is gobbling up lands all across this nation.

A deer has a better chance of surviving a winter in a combined tiled corn field than a cement parking lot or someone 10 acre ranchette.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/04/us/2-farm-acres-lost-per-minute-study-says.html

http://www.everythingconnects.org/urban-sprawl.html[/Q

We are talking Nd. I’m sure the farmers who sold land in Fargo aren’t sad they did.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member

http://www.everythingconnects.org/urban-sprawl.html[/Q

We are talking Nd. I’m sure the farmers who sold land in Fargo aren’t sad they did.

Please don't engage gst, he will blow that farmers as a benevolent santa claus bugle until we are all f'n deaf..

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Enslow, it would be interesting to know if a few of those people living in the exopanding subdivisions and little ranchette s surrounding towns like Fargo, Forks and Bismarck are the ones on here complaining about habitat loss.

I guess it is only habitat loss if it is a bean field that is cultivated.

Any body here thought about forming a wildlife club that fundraises to pay a farmer not to remove a shelterbelt in exchange for a place for kids to hunt? Or is that too much effort expected?

- - - Updated - - -

So Mr. Wiggler, what exactly have you done to create habitat?

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Enslow, it would be interesting to know if a few of those people living in the exopanding subdivisions and little ranchette s surrounding towns like Fargo, Forks and Bismarck are the ones on here complaining about habitat loss.

I guess it is only habitat loss if it is a bean field that is cultivated.

Any body here thought about forming a wildlife club that fundraises to pay a farmer not to remove a shelterbelt in exchange for a place for kids to hunt? Or is that too much effort expected?

- - - Updated - - -

So Mr. Wiggler, what exactly have you done to create habitat?

helped make the petroleum that you depend on to make your living.... what I didn't do was prance around the internet proclaiming that everyone should thank me. Have a nice day.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It isn't a random lottery like it is now. I don't recall saying it was.

Yes that is correct you didn't say a lottery which to me would be a crappy idea. For example: what if your cousins uncles kid was up a tag this year but for ever reason can't get his tag does he get a dibs on next year's list. Becuase that is what it is a list of names who are up for the golden ticket.
I have a better idea that those who don't get a tag in the lottery system can donate to a group (like qdma) for example which could work with local land owners who allow thier land (plots) to be open to the public. The lottery system isn't going to be changed so we need to find other solutions to this problem. That is what we need to invest our time and energy into not bashing farmers/ landowners but rather into working with them to find suitable habitat.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
helped make the petroleum that you depend on to make your living.... what I didn't do was prance around the internet proclaiming that everyone should thank me. Have a nice day.

Who has done that? Why do people get so defensive when the truth is laid out for them.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
if the lottery gave first chance to last years "losers" would everyone get a tag every other year? asking for a friend...

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member

So that creates habitat how exactly?

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like the idea of a tiered lottery. Or maybe just simply add more points/yr once somebody reaches 4-5+ years? Like after the 5th year, take it to 5^4+1 instead of 5^3+1.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 184
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 64