• Did you get a deer ?

Votes: 63 49.2%
  • Did you get a deer license ?

Votes: 60 46.9%
  • Did you get 2 deer licenses ?

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Did you get 3 or more deer licenses ?

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Did you see less deer this year than usual ?

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • Did you get 2 deer ?

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Did you get 3 or more deer ?

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Do you wish you would have gotten a deer license ?

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • Does this poll anger you ?

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • Was this poll helpfull ?

Votes: 17 13.3%

• Total voters

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We don't "BUY" preference points in ND, they are 'earned' each time you are turned down on your FIRST choice on your app.

this-is-how-real-men-earn-points-in-the-nd-deer-lottery.jpg

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
and the problem is with those of us that hunt with family members that live in different parts of the state. My dad still enjoys hunting but he cannot get a deer back to the pickup by himself. So either he would have to travel hundreds of miles to hunt each time or I would. Or we would have to stay split up and he would probably end up no longer hunting.

He still enjoys bow hunting but usually only gets out when we go out west for one week of the season. Guess what that would end.
i am not the only one that falls into this situation and the proposed plan screws that all up.

I’m not the only one that likes to go west to bow hunt either. Their proposed plan screws that all up.

Again there many hunters that fall into these categories.

no matter how you run the numbers that plan will not increase your odds of getting that rifle tag significantly.

instead of thinking how it will benefit just rifle hunters you have to dig into how it affects all hunters.

So your argument for keeping the system as it is is purely a social issue for you to be able to hunt with your dad Why is your social issue and more or less important than anyone else's?

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
So your argument for keeping the system as it is is purely a social issue for you to be able to hunt with your dad Why is your social issue and more or less important than anyone else's?

Wow --- You are hell bent on trying to remove hunting opportunities away from everyone just to draw a rifle tag sooner. Good grief.

I repeat - Right now, EVERYONE has the EXACT same opportunity to hunt. The plan that was proposed REMOVED a lot of hunting opportunity for quite a few hunters.

Just because some CHOOSE to not participate in those opportunities does not mean that many of us should be required to give them up!

My example above is what quite few hunters would have to give up just so individuals such as yourself might and I stress might be able to draw a tag a little sooner.

- - - Updated - - -

Instead of trying to screw up things for quite a few and removing opportunities from them, why not look at ways to improve the lottery system. It's OK as it is now but I do feel there is room for improvement as do other people.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We don't "BUY" preference points in ND, they are 'earned' each time you are turned down on your FIRST choice on your app.

Example: Say I apply for mule buck in 4B my first choice, and whitetail second choice....if I don't get my FIRST choice, but still get my second choice, I get awarded 1 Preference point for the next time I apply for a deer tag. You have to apply every year in order not to lose those preference points. I have a friend that has at least 8 preference points, has been applying for tag in 4C and gets turned down we talked the other day and he said his points suddenly disappeared. Told him he better be getting on GF ass about that.

Was told say you do have 8 pts but forgot to apply this year...poof...they gone...thats not right in my book. If anyone on here has testament to this lets us know. I personally have never had my points disappear when I had them.

Like stated above, no preference points are 'earned' for the big 3.

I should add...if you don't 'DRAW" for any of your choices...first unit or second unit...you get your $30 back.
Or get the option to get in the SECOND lottery drawing, thats usually for any antlerless tags that are left.

ok if we dont draw first choice you get second and a point or you have the option of no points or it is 5 dollars to get a preference point or you can just buy one if you dont apply that year you dont loose points. Loosing points for missing a year sucks

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
ok if we dont draw first choice you get second and a point or you have the option of no points or it is 5 dollars to get a preference point or you can just buy one if you dont apply that year you dont loose points. Loosing points for missing a year sucks

It's supposed to be that you don't lose your points if you miss a year. If you miss 2 years in a row then you would.

If you don't get your first choice but get a second choice, you still earn a point.

I believe with the buy a preference point, you can either apply for the lottery or buy the point but sit out of the lottery.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great Post Bckhntr!! Unfortunately, the "One Taggers" aren't interested in numbers, facts, and science. They don't even accept that the G&F admitted a one tag system has no basis other than social and won't improve anything. They're just mad they didn't get a tag and the landowners, bow hunters, youth hunters, the current system, or a combination of these are to blame. They can't show how a one tag system will increase the number of tags (bow, rifle, or muzzy) one bit. In fact, they CAN'T show how a one tag system will increase hunter opportunity, help the deer population grow, increase hunter success, or show ANY POSITIVE IMPACTS over the current deer management system we have in place. I crunched the numbers a few ways as well and came up with basically the same conclusion. A one tag system is NOT better than what we currently have. Most of what they bring to the table is how to take opportunity from other hunters to satisfy them. Thanks for taking the time to post what you found!!

As a matter of fact I am interested in numbers , Facts and science . You would have buried me once and for all in post # 137 with the numbers if you could have. And I would have apologized if I was wrong. The Dakota Country link I posted is a good read .

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a matter of fact I am interested in numbers , Facts and science . You would have buried me once and for all in post # 137 with the numbers if you could have. And I would have apologized if I was wrong. The Dakota Country link I posted is a good read .

That wasn't a good read at all davey. It wasn't at all informative. It lacked pertinent information completely. LOL.

It was poorly written and had little to no information. It is strictly an opinion piece written by a guy with a clear agenda. He has no clue how nd government works, cherry picked those 'letters to the governor', refers to landowner's gratis tags as 'free' implying they're greedy for wanting a free tag PLUS a bow tag. (how dare they!)

Holy hell tell me that didn't push you even deeper into your support of a one tag system?!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
No you're not Davey, if you were you'd have given up on the one tag system by now and I'm tired of talking. It's a failed idea. If it was worth the key punches and based on anything but social whining the G&F would have adopted it. Try to get the current system changed without cause and I'll do everything I can to block it. Have a Nice Day!!!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
No you're not Davey, if you were you'd have given up on the one tag system by now and I'm tired of talking. It's a failed idea. If it was worth the key punches and based on anything but social whining the G&F would have adopted it. Try to get the current system changed without cause and I'll do everything I can to block it. Have a Nice Day!!!

You may be right , So far all I see is "two taggers" putting their fingers in their ears and screaming to try intimidate "One taggers". I respect all opinions but I disagree with some and I am not easily intimidated . The way I see it is this will go nowhere between you and I. Since I was the one that opened this can of worms I'd just like to close it once and for all . Problem with me is that I'm so damn competitive that I either have to win or lose and this just isn't cutting it. To put this to rest I am going to start another poll and let the majority decide. I'll do it in few days when I have more time during the cold spell, That also will give more people time to educate themselves. Fair and square , Win or lose I won't have a chip on my shoulder either way. If I lose I will admit that I was wrong and publicly apologize to everyone for making an ass out of myself.

Disclaimer: It was your first post that inclined me to post this one, I had no intention of offending you or anyone . We are all deer hunters and we are all in the same boat. I could easily be on "Your side" , I get a gratis tag every year so I don't even have a horse in the race but my kids and grandkids do and I am rooting for them. We have to get used to low deer numbers and competition for tags because it's not going away any time soon. Hate on me all you want , It won't do you or I any good

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crp is not coming back. There won’t be easy rifle tags to draw anytime soon. The NDGF is still radio collaring mountain lions and hauling them around in the badlands. The NDGF awards game warden of the year honors to wardens who chase coyote hunters on snowsleds.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
That wasn't a good read at all davey. It wasn't at all informative. It lacked pertinent information completely. LOL.

It was poorly written and had little to no information. It is strictly an opinion piece written by a guy with a clear agenda. He has no clue how nd government works, cherry picked those 'letters to the governor', refers to landowner's gratis tags as 'free' implying they're greedy for wanting a free tag PLUS a bow tag. (how dare they!)

Holy hell tell me that didn't push you even deeper into your support of a one tag system?!

Yea, Dakota Country magazine sucks. ::: How about you just counter offer and post a link or two in support of "two taggers".

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's nice seeing all the grass coming back here in the last two years. I don't know if it is crp or which program but it is noticable

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

if it was social whining which side had the most whiners?

"So what happened to Steinwand’s “One Tag Only” proposal? It disappeared. Steinwand got run over by the North Dakota Bowhunters Association. Unhappy bowhunters won a political argument. Bowhunters are great sportsmen, but too many of them are also selfish. Bow-hunting is not a sport for the timid. It’s hard work, but also, when successful, incredibly stimulating. Problem is, it often does not result in taking a deer. And so, to have the best of both worlds, a lot of bowhunters want the option of being able to shoot a deer with their rifle at the end of the season to guarantee they’ll have some venison in their freezer."

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Looking forward to your new poll Davey. So far it looks like ND has a 100% deer hunting success rate. Everybody that got a tag, got a deer.
Disclaimer: Since I have not lived in ND for more than 50 years, my opinion has no value.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do the "2 taggers" have a reasoning other than "it ain't broke, so don't fix it"?

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea, Dakota Country magazine sucks. :::

don't be a jerk because I didn't say or imply that. I simply read the ARTICLE as you proudly requested we do and commented as I quickly saw it for what it was. A poorly written opinion piece with an obvious agenda.

Also, when you write this 2nd poll PLEASE run it by a person or 3 to proofread and to let you know if the format makes at least a little bit of sense.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
two taggers and one taggers? seriously? we’re labeling now?... putting each other in camps.

that is bs - take that crap somewhere else

- - - Updated - - -

I am not looking forward to any more “polls” like this piece of crap

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 184
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 90