Property Tax Petition

Are you in favor of eliminating property taxes?

• Yes

Votes: 95 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 24.6%

• Total voters

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
get rid of taxes every time you can. We don't need billions in new school buildings in ND, we don't need all this and that.

If this doesn't pass, and we get a fancy increase, (like we know we will in our property taxes next year) you fellas that voted to keep the steal need to pony up, and be fucking happy about it.

Its like when your mother told you to clean your plate there are starving kids in Africa, not sure how me eating that awful cucumber salad helped them African kids, but she said so, so we ate it.
Same stupid logic on the nay Sayers.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
It forces who to fix the issue? The Elected officials in bismarck that didn't do you right the last time when it came to property tax relief. That seems like a great idea :rolleyes:
Both the state and local will have to fix the issue. At least we won't hear " We didn't change the mils your property is just worth more " keep in mind they are taxing us on a fictitious number that THEY THEMSELVES CREAT. If there is a housing crash will they reimburse home owners for over paying their taxes? Now we can hold the locals accountable for their actions instead of them blaming the increases on state law.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, what I'm hearing is there is no plan to cover inflationary costs? Once the pet projects and wasteful spending is gone, and all of the dollars are allocated to essential services, where do you want them to start tightening their belts? Inflation since 2020 is over 20%. How about the small town political subs that don't have wasteful spending and struggle to provide the basics as-is? How many years do the political subdivisions go before they don't have places to cut without sacrificing service in some aspect? Again, not fear mongering. Just a question that can't be answered because the measure wasn't well thought-out. Why can't they put an actual plan in place so these questions aren't left for someone else to figure out. I just don't understand how they had years to devise a good plan and execute it, and yet we get this half baked measure.
You didn't answer my question you waffled around it. What do you do when your income doesn't cover inflation ? it is a simple answer

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Re-watched the debates since I’m home with a sick kid. In plain English, there is no mechanism in place for the subs to get funding in the language. In the Dr. Becker vs Bob Harms debate around the 1:05:00 mark, Dr. Becker says that to fund increases, these subs will require the legislate to reconvene, and levy for more of your money for municipal operations and infrastructure upkeep, quote: “and do we call that a property tax, I don’t know”. So again, this is not voting to get rid of a tax, it’s a tax shift. With no plan. The very next part of the video it’s clear that they can still asses a property tax based on your square footage, so it’s going nowhere. If you were as fired up about this measure as you should have been during June elections, where you could have actually voted out these commissioners, park and school board members (who actually do control your property tax, voter turnout averages 20% by the way, so you could have won). I hate the I got mine so screw the kids mentality. Things cost more than they used to. Someone paid for the school you went to, too. Maybe they didn’t reach civics.

If anything site is exhibit A why measure 4 should be defeated. We need all the money going to education we can find. Anyway here I go asking questions before we put permanent ink to paper and make a short-sighted idea a law, aka fear-mongering.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
It forces who to fix the issue? The Elected officials in bismarck that didn't do you right the last time when it came to property tax relief. That seems like a great idea :rolleyes:
They didn't fix the issue because they didn't have to. They had:

"Well, this is the way it's always been done, there's nothing we can do about it......".

Time to dump that old tired line and make them roll up their sleeves and get to work.

Cripes, we could eliminate state income tax if ND G&F ran regular game checks during hunting and fishing season on Hwy's 2, 200, I-94, 13, I-29, 281, and 83 and while they're at it, actually enforced ANS regulations incoming and outgoing as per WY or MT as well. Might as well go back to check stations @ the airports in Wiliston, Dickinson, Minot, Bismarck, Devils Lake, Jamestown, Forks, and Fargo. Additionally, it can't be too hard to have a look @ some of the smaller town light aircraft fields, see there there's a bunch of extra planes, and check up on a few of those folks too.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
We need all the money going to education we can find.
Can you please cite examples of higher per-student spending equalling higher scholastic achievement. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have to look too hard to find dozens if not hundreds of examples of the inverse of my question.

I'd prioritize parental engagement and classroom discipline over "give us more $$."

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you please cite examples of higher per-student spending equalling higher scholastic achievement. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have to look too hard to find dozens if not hundreds of examples of the inverse of my question.
Well I shouldn’t, because thanks to my decent public education I learned in prob/stat that figures can be manipulated to a desired outcome. But the first google result is an MIT study that showed 20 percent increase in per pupil funding for underperforming schools reduced the number of below-average students in mathematics, English, social studies, and science by 19.7 percent, 17.0 percent, 16.1 percent, and 18.1 percent compared with the control-side means [https://direct.mit.edu/edfp/article/18/1/1/109966/The-Effect-of-Extra-School-Funding-on-Students].

I mean it’s the basis of why so many who can afford it put their kids in private schools.

I defer to your hundreds of studies.

I'd prioritize parental engagement and classroom discipline over "give us more $$."
Absolutely agree.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Minot school board passed the 2025 budget at $129 million.

$107 million is for salaries.

They said in the meeting that the 2026 budget would be $300 to $500 thousand higher.

This would come from an increase in property taxes next year as the Minot schools has millions in cash reserves in the bank. :mad:

Minot Parks and Rec's budget is $17 million a year.

They are asking the citizens of Minot to vote in a 1/2 cent sales tax to help pay for "things". It would generate $6 million a year.

They are looking to add another ice rink and an indoor turf building. They just built a multimillion dollar giraffe barn at the zoo.

My property taxes this year are $3800 of which the school's gets $1600, and the parks and rec gets $600. (Which would of went down from the previous year's taxes, but they increased the value of my property $11,000.)

I'm not against spending money but for fuck sakes let's take a step back and slow it down.

Plus, the $1.5 billion+ they are spending on the flood project so property owners in the valley can save $50 to $75 million on flood insurance over the course of 20 plus years. :unsure:

Last edited:

Freedom

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They didn't fix the issue because they didn't have to. They had:

"Well, this is the way it's always been done, there's nothing we can do about it......".

Time to dump that old tired line and make them roll up their sleeves and get to work.

Cripes, we could eliminate state income tax if ND G&F ran regular game checks during hunting and fishing season on Hwy's 2, 200, I-94, 13, I-29, 281, and 83 and while they're at it, actually enforced ANS regulations incoming and outgoing as per WY or MT as well. Might as well go back to check stations @ the airports in Wiliston, Dickinson, Minot, Bismarck, Devils Lake, Jamestown, Forks, and Fargo. Additionally, it can't be too hard to have a look @ some of the smaller town light aircraft fields, see there there's a bunch of extra planes, and check up on a few of those folks too.
I'd rather pay some taxes than have ndgf shakedowns when I hunt or fish, I suppose you think as residents we'd just get to magically skip the harassment?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I shouldn’t, because thanks to my decent public education I learned in prob/stat that figures can be manipulated to a desired outcome. But the first google result is an MIT study that showed 20 percent increase in per pupil funding for underperforming schools reduced the number of below-average students in mathematics, English, social studies, and science by 19.7 percent, 17.0 percent, 16.1 percent, and 18.1 percent compared with the control-side means [https://direct.mit.edu/edfp/article/18/1/1/109966/The-Effect-of-Extra-School-Funding-on-Students].

I mean it’s the basis of why so many who can afford it put their kids in private schools.

I defer to your hundreds of studies.

Absolutely agree.
The reason the kids in private schools get a higher test score is not because of the private school itself per se, but because the parents that invest in the kid going to this private school take a much larger interest in their kids, and their kids school work and making the grades. One does not equal the other.

Lots of kids in public school being raised by single parents/ grandparents/ foster care, and parents that just don't give it any thought, that don't go any further than the kid making it to class, and calling it good.

Building a $100,000,000 school does zero for a kids education, absolute zero. 60 years ago a kid was taught in a one room school house, and learned more than our kids do now.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd rather pay some taxes than have ndgf shakedowns when I hunt or fish, I suppose you think as residents we'd just get to magically skip the harassment?
I would rather do neither, but agree. Don't need any harassment when I am doing what I enjoy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 316
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 50