Property Tax Petition

Are you in favor of eliminating property taxes?

• Yes

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 19.5%

• Total voters

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
I'm fine with paying for services I use like the roads, fire departments, etc. But when 75% of my property taxes are going to the school system when I have no kids and get no services for those tax dollars somethings broken! Get the school funding out of the property tax system and you'd hear a lot less bitching about property taxes! Until that happens I'll vote to eliminate property taxes whenever I get the chance! Send me a bill for the roads which is supposed to be paid with gas taxes. Send me a bill for the fire department. Send me the bill for the sheriff's office. STOP SENDING ME THE BILL FOR YOUR FUCKING KIDS!!!!
Amen!!!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Being in construction you hit the mail on the head. Between architects and engineers they make stuff cost way way more than if common sense was used.

I'm a few years out of the loop but we don't have a lot of competition for construction projects here in ND so most projects bid pretty high when compared to similar projects elsewhere. Iv'e watched more than once in ND where all bids were rejected because the owners thought the bids came in to high and the second round of bidding was even higher.

In areas with a lot of new construction, the big design build contractors keep prices in line.
I subbed for a couple different ones and they were a treat to work with and thier projects went smoother than normal. Nobody else to blame if things don't go as planned and plumbers/electricians/framers and the whole gang of them have no choice but to work together with one another or they will be gone.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The people that want all that shiny new shit for their kids can pay for it then
Sadly that's not how it works. I keep going back to this Mark zimmerman as an example...these elected officials get into these positions and see the residents as there personal piggy banks for what they want. Rail Bridge??? I have an idea..maybe parks and rec can buy??...$170 million athletic complex....I have an idea..parks and rec can pay. To be known as the "city of parks"....I have an idea parks and rec can pay. No different then the elected officials for the schools. Until these elected officials start looking at it as if it was coming directly from there pockets...we will all pay the price.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1687700359525.png

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member

Homestead Property Tax Credit Program Changes for 2023​

Post Date:06/08/2023 9:30 am
On April 27, 2023, Governor Doug Burgum signed House Bill 1158 into law. This legislation broadens the eligibility requirements and maximum reduction amounts for those applying for the North Dakota Homestead Property Tax Credit program. This program is aimed at homeowners 65 years of age and older or those who are permanently and totally disabled.
Income changes to the Homestead Credit for Tax Year 2023:
If your income is:​
Taxable value is reduced by:​
Maximum reduction of taxable value:​
Maximum reduction of true & full value:​
$0 – $40,000​
100%​
$9,000​
$200,000​
$40,001 – $70,000​
50%​
$4,500​
$100,000​

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't take me wrong , I'm not complaining, but I wonder why the cap for 100% reduction was set at 40K ? I guess the line had to be drawn somewhere but almost every married and retired couple on SS makes over 40K. They dodged the big bullet on that one.

Include income from dependents ? So if Dad is in a wheel chair , Mom is working and 3 kids have enough ambition to work for spending money that counts against the parents. These laws now days take away incentive to even try to make ends meet.

• Not have income that exceeds $70,000, including the income of your spouse and any dependents, for the calendar year preceding the assessment date.

Last edited:

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does this just eliminate property tax for homeowners? Or for all property owners? Businesses? Businesses can afford to pay the tax especially if it doesn’t come out of my pocket!
I love statements like this. Makes me realize just how fucked we are. This kind of mentality is why

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Homestead Property Tax Credit Program Changes for 2023​

Post Date:06/08/2023 9:30 am
On April 27, 2023, Governor Doug Burgum signed House Bill 1158 into law. This legislation broadens the eligibility requirements and maximum reduction amounts for those applying for the North Dakota Homestead Property Tax Credit program. This program is aimed at homeowners 65 years of age and older or those who are permanently and totally disabled.
Income changes to the Homestead Credit for Tax Year 2023:
If your income is:​
Taxable value is reduced by:​
Maximum reduction of taxable value:​
Maximum reduction of true & full value:​
$0 – $40,000​
100%​
$9,000​
$200,000​
$40,001 – $70,000​
50%​
$4,500​
$100,000​
So am I reading this wrong? I see it helping very very few. Basically did this to get publicity and say he did something to help the elderly even though it helps very few?

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
So am I reading this wrong? I see it helping very very few. Basically did this to get publicity and say he did something to help the elderly even though it helps very few?
You are reading it right. Watch them spend big money to buy some more TV airtime so they can boast more about this big homestead tax credit that is so good for retired folks.

Muley14

Founding Member
Founding Member
According to this, in 2020 ND has ranked 13th for % of income paid to state taxes. We also have lower % property taxes than all our neighbors, MT, SD and MN. With just a quick glance, ND is on the higher end of sales tax.

Since it is from 2020 it doesn't take into account the new income tax reduction that was passed and changes in property taxes (although personally my have settled down the last few years)

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/states-with-the-lowest-taxes

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
somebody change that pole --- to lowering expenses =equal to the elimination of property taxes and you have a yes from me.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats why taxes are low in WY because the fossil fuel industry pays most of the taxes. No income tax, low says and property tax. Nothing wrong when the tax burden isn’t laid in the lap of the common folk. People in WY also don’t keep electing RHINO politicians that keep taxes and spending high. I find it funny people in ND complain so much about taxes when they keep electing the same people.
I love statements like this. Makes me realize just how fucked we are. This kind of mentality is why

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats why taxes are low in WY because the fossil fuel industry pays most of the taxes. No income tax, low says and property tax. Nothing wrong when the tax burden isn’t laid in the lap of the common folk. People in WY also don’t keep electing RHINO politicians that keep taxes and spending high. I find it funny people in ND complain so much about taxes when they keep electing the same people.
Our conservatives love a good spending spree, in fact worse then dems I feel

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 120
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 50