Property Tax Petition

Are you in favor of eliminating property taxes?

• Yes

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 19.5%

• Total voters

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So where do we go to sign this petition?
I ran into a guy at the dmv. I belueve someone posted earlier that there is a person at gateway mall in Bismarck. If anybody happens to see a person when you can sign..post it on here so people know.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If the rest of us didn’t have to keep paying child support on the states bastard child that is the city of Fargo, I’d imagine we could easily get to enjoy more tax breaks-No property, income or sales tax.
I hate Fargo..could never live in the cesspool of ND but its not just them. Look at Medora and the waste of space library they are going to build...you think that was free? It's all over the state. We are very corrupt and these politicians use our money for there pet projects. Zimmerman with the park board tried getting an athletic center passed for around I believe was 200 million..increasing our taxes. The residents voted it down...wonder why they voted it down?....so Mr. Zimmerman in his infinite wisdom thought to himself...why did they vote it down? We need to find out. So instead of using some common sense and realizing that the residents of Bismarck didn't want to pay for the dam thing..he wastes I believe $12 or $14k (of the peoples money)to send out a survey to find out why residents voted it down..magically it came back with I believe 80% didn't want to pay for it. Guess what Mr. Zimmerman got out of the survey? It showed that a large majority of residents want some sort of athletic center(20%). (The amounts were estimates without digging into it) Seriously these are the dipshits we have elected.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the rest of us didn’t have to keep paying child support on the states bastard child that is the city of Fargo, I’d imagine we could easily get to enjoy more tax breaks-No property, income or sales tax.
Can we give Fargo to MN? And maybe pick up a few of the eastern Montana counties? The god fearing one’s……

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate Fargo..could never live in the cesspool of ND but its not just them. Look at Medora and the waste of space library they are going to build...you think that was free? It's all over the state. We are very corrupt and these politicians use our money for there pet projects. Zimmerman with the park board tried getting an athletic center passed for around I believe was 200 million..increasing our taxes. The residents voted it down...wonder why they voted it down?....so Mr. Zimmerman in his infinite wisdom thought to himself...why did they vote it down? We need to find out. So instead of using some common sense and realizing that the residents of Bismarck didn't want to pay for the dam thing..he wastes I believe $12 or $14k (of the peoples money)to send out a survey to find out why residents voted it down..magically it came back with I believe 80% didn't want to pay for it. Guess what Mr. Zimmerman got out of the survey? It showed that a large majority of residents want some sort of athletic center(20%). (The amounts were estimates without digging into it) Seriously these are the dipshits we have elected.
Yes they can magically come up with 50-100 million for these “Investments” for the greater good yet making school lunches free to all students at around 6million a year was “too much” fkn retarded. I’m not one for social programs but making school lunch free across the board would be the biggest middle class relief the state could pass. The poor already get it free and the rich could care less about it. That bill would have helped the most middle class people. The people of nd don’t want a fkn library or new sports complex or a 200 million dollar school. We want to keep some of our money on our pockets and stop feeding these pet projects.

Gus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m not saying there isn’t careless spending all over, just pointing out that Fargo is far far in the negative when it comes to deposits vs. withdrawals on the states piggy bank

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or government spending could be reduced by X% . Why is it everyone talks about increased taxation but rarely talks reduced spending?
If you think the elected crooks are gonna cut spending you are delusional. If property tax goes away they will just tax something else to make up for it

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be nice to see what each of the cities pay into the State for taxes.
House/property tax, businesses tax, sales tax, gas tax and so on.

Last edited:

NodakBob

Honored Member
How is sales tax regressive?
Someone who spends every dollar they earn pays sales tax etc on every dollar. Someone who has money to save for retirement, non-sales taxed investments (your home etc) doesn’t spend all their money, therefore only paying sales tax on a portion of their earnings.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The sales tax...you have a choice. Everyone will be taxed the same on basic necessities...your choice to buy the iPhone or not. The only choice with property is to not own any..then you deal with rent and pay the tax on property anyways..you have zero choice with a property tax.

Which is really no different then it is now...sales tax would allow you to choose.

agriffith

Founding Member
Founding Member
The sales tax...you have a choice. Everyone will be taxed the same on basic necessities...your choice to buy the iPhone or not. The only choice with property is to not own any..then you deal with rent and pay the tax on property anyways..you have zero choice with a property tax.

Which is really no different then it is now...sales tax would allow you to choose.
So, a young couple with a small child should pay more sales tax on diapers, clothes, shoes, etc. so an older couple making $125,000 and owns a $300,000 home shouldn't have to pay real estate taxes? How does that young couple choose to not purchase the bare necessities for their family?

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So, a young couple with a small child should pay more sales tax on diapers, clothes, shoes, etc. so an older couple making $125,000 and owns a $300,000 home shouldn't have to pay real estate taxes? How does that young couple choose to not purchase the bare necessities for their family?
Sooo a young person doesn't have a place they are currently living? All it's doing is shifting the money from one place to another...I get its hard to understand that and all. If you have a place whether you rent or own a certain percent is going to property taxes. FYI said older couple may also be buying diapers...or false teeth or heart meds etc. Trying to justify having a baby makes you pay more...sure maybe(been there done that) i know how much they cost. One thing I have learned from life is no matter what age young or old...money is coming out for one thing or another..if it's not diapers it's getting teeth fixed..if not teeth fixed it a hip replacement and so on. Just because youbgwt older doesn't mean you don't have bare necessities either. To add babies are pricey but holy shit teens make babies look cheap.

One thing inwould say is as youbget older you tend to make more money off setting some of those expenses and putting yourself in a better spot...still doesn't take away the shift of money though..

Last edited:

agriffith

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sooo a young person doesn't have a place they are currently living? All it's doing is shifting the money from one place to another...I get its hard to understand that and all. If you have a place whether you rent or own a certain percent is going to property taxes. FYI said older couple may also be buying diapers...or false teeth or heart meds etc. Trying to justify having a baby makes you pay more...sure maybe(been there done that) i know how much they cost. One thing I have learned from life is no matter what age young or old...money is coming out for one thing or another..if it's not diapers it's getting teeth fixed..if not teeth fixed it a hip replacement and so on. Just because youbgwt older doesn't mean you don't have bare necessities either. To add babies are pricey but holy shit teens make babies look cheap.

One thing inwould say is as youbget older you tend to make more money off setting some of those expenses and putting yourself in a better spot...still doesn't take away the shift of money though..
Guess you know best..............maybe you should run for office and fix this issue.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone who spends every dollar they earn pays sales tax etc on every dollar. Someone who has money to save for retirement, non-sales taxed investments (your home etc) doesn’t spend all their money, therefore only paying sales tax on a portion of their earnings.
I’m not sure that makes sense. Both paid income tax and the person earning more pays more and could be in a higher tax bracket. I would also suggest that the person earning more, while possibly saving some, spends more so that person paid more income tax and more sales tax.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I understand the argument that if each family of two different incomes spends equal money on necessity items, they pay the same amount of tax. So some argue it isn't regressive. I'm in favor of sales tax, but not for groceries and necessities. Low income earners pay more of their income to taxes on a percentage basis this way. Get rid of property taxes and shift it to sales tax with an exemption for groceries and other necessary items, maybe that works. Leave the sales tax on for optional purchases so you have a choice and I'm good with it.

The one thing I'll say is if property taxes go away, nobody's rent is going down. Unfortunately that extra money to cover it will be pocketed by most owners. Housing costs are real and significant, particularly for low income earners, and property tax being gone won't help them a bit. With a sales tax increase to offset some of the costs, they probably end up going backwards.

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If property taxes go away, the monsters under your bed will come out and get you. The rich will get richer, the poor will get poorer. Interest will go up and the stock market will go down and you will get mugged if you go down town - said the politicians

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
if property taxes go away entirely, and that burden gets shifted to sales tax, or whatever new tax they come up with, I suspect lots of folks will end up paying even more in tax than they do now.
The problem I see is they just jack up the assessed value on your home up whenever they want which drives up your property tax.
Why not eliminate the assessed value and just tax you on the purchase price of your home or property, say at .75% of the purchase price as an example of the tax you would owe, or less if that's to much, and it remains at that rate or tax owed until you sell. The new owner would then be taxed on the purchase price the same way.
Make it retroactive back 30 years to give the old folks on a fixed income some well deserved relief. Your property tax would never change as long as you own it.
I'm not in favor of a shell game tax system where you just move the tax around, that's an easy way for politicians to screw it up as that is their nature and make a bad system worse.
Just my take, I'm sure I am wrong, its just to easy to eliminate it and think the problem is solved.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the set tax rate at home sales price idea if we were to not do away with property tax. The problem with the system now is you are being taxed on a value which you have not realized any gains. This would be the equivalent of raising taxes on stocks you own if the price goes up but you have not sold or made any money on them yet. Same principle applies here and makes me wonder if taxing unrealized property gains is even legal to begin with. The raising mills/valuations is a fucked up system as it’s too variable and oftentimes catches people by surprise and at times when their budgets and money is already being stretched thin. Adding an extra 200-300 onto a mortgage payment yearly is the straw that’s breaking peoples backs so to speak. You shouldn’t have to go through the entire lending/mortgage process and find a comfortable payment price only for your payment to increase yearly because of the game our tax assessors and cities/counties play. This is putting undue burden on a lot of North Dakotans. If the tax was set and fixed based on purchase price and didn’t change until sale at least homeowners would have certainty and not get bushwhacked yearly by the school raising mills or the assessors raising values which it appears they just take turns playing good cop bad cop and point the finger on alternating years.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19