Rod Socks

LukeLuke

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never really used rod socks. Couple of questions if I may. I did a little math and realized how much some of my sticks are worth and thought I should protect my investment if possible.

Do they really protect the rod much?

What are good brands / models / styles etc etc

Will they help protect the eyes from getting bent? That seems to be my biggest problem.

Where is best place price wise to order from.

Thanks for your help

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is who I have bought a bunch from,

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261473680232?nav=SEARCH

two different types for spinning rods and casting rods.

i store my rods in rod tubes in the boat and these work perfect. I agree you spend a bunch on rods why not take care of them. I also can leave rods rigged up and these protect the line from any damage.

The eyes will be protected but they can still get bent.

there are many designs out there, look around and I bet you will find a sock to fit your needs

Plain Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got all of mine from Bass Pro. The only thing that i found that sucks is on some of my spinning rods the bottom eyelet is the size of a softball and the sock will not go over it. All of the baitcaster (trolling rod) ones that I got from them work great, now if I would only use them. That reminds me I sometime fly with a rod or two up front. Never worried about it especially on calm days. DO NOT DO THIS WITH A ROD SOCK ON THEM. One of my jigging rods is in 100' of water out in front of Riverdale bluffs. ;:;badidea

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 2nd boat had a very large rod storage hold but no tubes or any attachments of any sort to keep them organized. By the time I sold it I was regularly toting 15-20 rods in it all in socks. With all that stuff piled into the storage hold, I could still grab ANY rod in the box and slide it out without any drama. Current boat has center and side storage and I still use socks on all of the rods in the side storage compartment. I use the blue nylon Drift Control socks, I'm sure there are others that work well too.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I poked holes through the ends of every scheels rod sock I own. Pain in the arse trying to rod tip back through. I've since went to ones like SDMF has. Interestingly enough, walmart has some that are about $3. I bought to just to see and put them on my cranking rods. To my surprise, they work very well.

As far as protection goes, rod socks won't do much to keep your eyes from banging around. They will prevent tangles which has been known to anger a fisherman and cause him to just rip the rod out of the storage compartment. Also, as skeeter said, DO NOT make a run down river with rod socks still on. Turn's a couple hundred dollar setup into some nice bottom structure.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used rod socks early in our marriage, but now my wife has had her tubes tied.:;:sorry

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find rod socks help from the rods getting all tangled up, which is where a lot of damage can occur when you try and separate them.

Here is what is typically looks like in my friends boat when we're musky fishing.

DSC03014.jpg

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the Scheels brand socks (both spinning and baitcaster) and they work good. Come off and go on easy. My boat doesn't have tubes for the rods so the socks help keep things from getting tangled.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75