Vortex or Leupold

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt that's simple off minutes of angle. If it drops .1 inch more minute of angle at 700 yards that is .7 inches. That's the same for the 140 gr Berger VLD for the temperature of 32 degrees and 52 degrees. I can see higher temperatures making more difference, but I started with 32 degrees because that was the temperature here when I posted. Shooter automatically fills in temperature, humidity, wind speed, barometric pressure, and latitude.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s all about air density.

Temperature, barometric pressure, elevation, humidity, yadda. Colder air is denser air - causing the need for more plowing of matter out of the way, slowing the flight sooner, so more drop.

Science bitches.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m bad with all these numbers and formulas, all I know is I spotted a deer with my leupold binos and then used my leupold scope to shoot it in the heart.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s all about air density.

Temperature, barometric pressure, elevation, humidity, yadda. Colder air is denser air - causing the need for more plowing of matter out of the way, slowing the flight sooner, so more drop.

Science bitches.

The same temp and a gain in 5000' of elevation will result in what next. I like science

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m bad with all these numbers and formulas, all I know is I spotted a deer with my leupold binos and then used my leupold scope to shoot it in the heart.

My deer also died when shot with a rifle sporting a leupold. I think the scope makes the booolitz more lethal.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The same temp and a gain in 5000' of elevation will result in what next. I like science

At 5000 ft you have 5000 less ft of air mass piled on top of you than at sea level. So molecules aren’t as smushed together (think dogpile). Therefor they provide less resistance to the bullet as it tries to throw them aside to move through. Thus less slowing so less drop.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
At 5000 ft you have 5000 less ft of air mass piled on top of you than at sea level. So molecules aren’t as smushed together (think dogpile). Therefor they provide less resistance to the bullet as it tries to throw them aside to move through. Thus less slowing so less drop.

Thanks for explaining why cds dials suck.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m not sure the net effect is a big enough deal for typical hunters. Target guys worry about it though.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Old school here as I am over 70. Since 1961 with the old used Remington 721 270(ugly heavy fence post). I have used the Jack O'Connor recommended "sight in 3 inches high at 100 yards." Seemed to work for me well for over 50 years. Of course I have never shot a Deer at over 400 yards. And I have had a few Leupold scopes (my bad). Use a rest most of the time, except on running shots (now I am double bad).

Vollmer, Please move this thread to the "Ha Has all the time" thread. Reading some of these posts have given me way too many laughs!

Founding Member
Founding Member
My hunting partner shoots allot of long range 1000-1500, I won't get into detail but he's not a vortex fan "I know he likes his USO stuff". I'm pretty proud of myself 600-800 yds, and then he tells me there's not allot to worry about out to about 800 and that after that is when things start getting interesting.

But then again he can do stuff like this with iron sights at 944 with an antique gun and ammo ha ha.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last time I went to Montana bear hunting I took along three lens caps for my scope. I print my come ups to 1000 yards inside my lens cap. Then I took along a 5000 ft elevation, a 6000 ft elevation, and a 7000 ft elevation pre printed lens caps. Throw them in my pack and keep the closest elevation on my scope. Those turrets they sell you with ballistics for your rifle and load are crap unless your chained to the same flat land.

Edit: Kurt tell us about Sterlok pro. If you like it I may be interested too. My first shot hits on a six inch steel plate is only about 50% at 800 yards. In your opinion would Sterlok Pro improve on that. I have to watch shooter because they are full of bs when it comes to wind speed. Sometimes I have to increase by 100% and they are also often off by 20 degrees on temperature. Just what we have been talking about. I have to carry an anemometer because the program can not be trusted.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 36