What are your thoughts on this?

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Article by Mike McFeely

FARGO — Jason Mitchell is a well-known television outdoors personality and fishing guide out of Devils Lake, N.D. He took over Tony Dean’s franchise — “Tony Dean Outdoors” — when the South Dakota legend with the smooth, deep voice died in 2008.

Jason, like Tony, is a businessman. He produces his television show and courts sponsors to make money. There’s a reason why outdoors personalities fish in a certain brand of boat or use a specific kind of crankbait to catch a walleye — because they are being paid to do so.
But Mitchell, also like Dean, sees the big picture. Jason is not quite as outspoken on certain topics as his mentor, but he still understands success in the outdoors depends on the resources. You can buy all the fancy rods and reels you want, but if there isn’t suitable water or fish in the lakes you’re fishing … you’re not going to catch any fish.
So it was refreshing to hear Jason on my radio show on 970 WDAY on Friday morning talk about the critical nature of returning most fish to the lakes and rivers from which they are caught.
It is particularly important in this day and age because of advanced technology. Lake-map chips give detailed pictures of the bottom of almost every fishable lake. GPS can return you to the exact — and I mean exact — spot where you caught fish yesterday. Information on hot lakes is shared instantly and oftentimes openly via text messages, message boards or Facebook. Underwater cameras show a high-definition picture of the fish — and what exact movement or bait it takes to catch them.
It is a different world than the one that existed even 20 years ago, and fish are under more pressure than ever because of it. You don’t have to put the time in like the good old days. Great anglers are now made in a matter of years.
“There’s always been people who have caught a lot of fish. I think the difference in today’s world is the learning curve to get from amateur, where I don’t really know what I’m doing out here, to being competent, that learning curve is a lot more dramatic because of the equipment,” Mitchell said. “I remember when I first started guided, having these spots … then to GPS … then map chips. For $120, everybody knows the same thing I know that I spent my whole life trying to learn.
“Forty years ago there was an old timer who knew about a secret rock pile and he’d row his boat out there and catch fish. Nobody else knew about it. Whereas now, for $120 for a map chip … you can buy that. You can get really good. What used to take a lifetime, I see people now who’ve been fishing for 4 or 5 years and you’d never know it
because the information and the technology and the equipment … they are as far ahead as what used to take an entire lifetime 20 years ago. That’s the big difference today.”

That’s why Mitchell is strongly advocated catch-and-release. It’s not a new concept. Other outdoors personalities like the Lindners — after going through the 1970s and ’80s where keeping stringers filled with hefty walleyes was the norm because it make for a great photo shoot — have called for “CPR” (catch-photograph-release) for many years.
Mitchell believes it’s even more critical now because fish are being caught by more people than ever. That’s why he supports lowering limits, as is being proposed in Minnesota by the Department of Natural Resources.
“The big thing we are going to see in the next 20 years is that we’re our own worst enemy,” Mitchell said. “So I agree with lowering limits. The reason I say that is, you look at all the stuff we’ve got. You go to the sportsmen’s show and there are going to be these beautiful $30,000 to $70,000 boats, a $40,000 pickup to haul it, you have a camper, a lake lot, $350 fishing rod.
“You look at all the stuff. Let’s face it. If we’re there to fill our freezers and eat, you better not tell your accountant because he’s going to think you’re an idiot. It’s got to be more. Why do we fish?
“It’s figuring out the fish. It’s figuring out the patterns. Having some success. There’s highs and lows. And when you’re going through this pursuit, you forget about work, you forget about the squabbles, the grind of life. And you feel recharged. That’s why we fish.”
Amen, brother Jason.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing I have always wondered is if these TV guys ever use different brand lures than their sponsors when the camera is off.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep a few for the frying pan, throw a few back. IMO once you switch from the mentality of "fishing for a limit" and just start fishing for fun you will enjoy yourself more. I wouldn't mind seeing limits reduced for many fish....except those F'n pike of course:D.

I sometimes ponder what some fisheries could be if people released fished rather than kept them all. For instance if people were releasing the Crappie on Oahe the last few years rather then keeping 50 6-7 year old fish that are never stocked.

Last edited:

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I 100% agree that the tech available now has reduced the learning curve. Have you met some of the dummies on this site that crush fish like they know what they're doing? But in all seriousness, his message holds true for many outdoor pursuits. We're putting more pressure on the fish and game now than ever before (with the exception of market hunting), but let's stick to fishing. All the tech plus an attitude that "I drove all this way and I'll be damned if I don't keep my limit" will eventually bite us in the ass. Look at how fast some of the smaller pothole region lakes go cold these days. Yes, I know that they'll likely winterkill or dry up some day, so we all gotta get while the getting's good, but it's obvious that GPS, sonar map apps, etc. etc. add substantially to people's success.

That said, it's a public resource, and we the people can do what we want with our resource, within the confines of the law. If a guy wants to take his Wilcraft out to a piece of structure he found with his Navionics app and Vexilar, drill holes with his high speed electric auger, drop a camera down to make sure they're not bullheads, and proceed to catch a limit of gravid 15" perch every day until they're gone, that's his choice. I'm just glad he's from ND and not Wisconsin. You can tell because he's not wearing blaze orange coveralls and he's not shouting about Johnsonville brats.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to agree with it. What does surprise me is the quality of article coming from mcfeely.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Limit out of state fishing. That will work better than anything. But I'm sure being a guide that would not go over well with Mitchell. Im wondering how many limits his clients take home.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I have missed the episode where Mitchells clients are fishing with a cane pole, hook and a worm............actually I have missed all the episodes.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I fish until I am happy. Then I go home and think about next time and that makes me happy too.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want peoples opinions on catch-and-release there is probably 400 pages of posts on this site and FishingBuddy. All of the posts start off with someone upset about not releasing fish, then there will be a bunch of people who agree with this, then there will be a bunch of people who don't agree then a big fight breaks out.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sometimes ponder what some fisheries could be if people released fished rather than kept them all. For instance if people were releasing the Crappie on Oahe the last few years rather then keeping 50 6-7 year old fish that are never stocked.

I agree with the article. However there are instances where it is not so simple if you believe what the NDGF Biologists are saying. And I'm not saying I do 100% because they also state that walleyes don't migrate in the spring on the MO river, which doesn't seem to jive with I have seen.

However take your example of Oahe Crappie above. The NDGF has stated that we have the current crappie population because of the 2011 flood and the high waters it brought. They said Crappie typically don't survive the first winter (in upper Oahe) after hatching because the don't get big enough or healthy enough in there first few months of life to make it through the long winters. However in 2011 the high water flooded bays, backwater, grass, etc and the amount of forage and space available to avoid predators exploded and the yearling crappie put on the feed and got to a size that they made it through their first winter and that is why and what we are catching right now.

However an average crappie is said to live to 7 years. As you stated above we are at that point. So how much negative effect did keeping a limit of crappie over that last 2-3 years have? It seems these fish will start to die of natural causes and there is currently still enough of a population to go out right now and catch great numbers of quality fish.

This again is all dependent on if the NDGF biologists are correct. They also stated they don't see any other year class coming up, so when this year class is gone it will be awhile before we see fish like we have now. You don't see much for small crappies being caught so this seems to make sense.

I remember having similar great crappie fishing on Oahe back in the 2000 to 2003 time frame. That's 3-6 years after the high water of 1997.

What's everyone else's thoughts or experience on this? Take advantage of the resource while we have it knowing it is not sustainable naturally?

Personally I don't need 10, 13-14" crappie for a meal. Wouldn't care if it was dropped to 5.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with the article. However there are instances where it is not so simple if you believe what the NDGF Biologists are saying. And I'm not saying I do 100% because they also state that walleyes don't migrate in the spring on the MO river, which doesn't seem to jive with I have seen.

However take your example of Oahe Crappie above. The NDGF has stated that we have the current crappie population because of the 2011 flood and the high waters it brought. They said Crappie typically don't survive the first winter (in upper Oahe) after hatching because the don't get big enough or healthy enough in there first few months of life to make it through the long winters. However in 2011 the high water flooded bays, backwater, grass, etc and the amount of forage and space available to avoid predators exploded and the yearling crappie put on the feed and got to a size that they made it through their first winter and that is why and what we are catching right now.

However an average crappie is said to live to 7 years. As you stated above we are at that point. So how much negative effect did keeping a limit of crappie over that last 2-3 years have? It seems these fish will start to die of natural causes and there is currently still enough of a population to go out right now and catch great numbers of quality fish.

This again is all dependent on if the NDGF biologists are correct. They also stated they don't see any other year class coming up, so when this year class is gone it will be awhile before we see fish like we have now. You don't see much for small crappies being caught so this seems to make sense.

I remember having similar great crappie fishing on Oahe back in the 2000 to 2003 time frame. That's 3-6 years after the high water of 1997.

What's everyone else's thoughts or experience on this? Take advantage of the resource while we have it knowing it is not sustainable naturally?

Personally I don't need 10, 13-14" crappie for a meal. Wouldn't care if it was dropped to 5.

I guess on a place like Oahe where they aren't stocked and rely completely on natural reproduction It seems that releasing adults or reducing a limit to 5 would keep more breeding adults in the system and therefore more fish would make it through winter every year creating domino effect. Who knows though.

I wish GNF would at least experiment once in a while with something like this just to see. They seem to pretty much want to make limits statewide and not do things on selective waters.

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of my fishing is done in the winter. If the fish are biting I will keep a limit every time other times only keep a few. What I catch in the winter is most of my fish supply though the summer when I'm busy and don't have time to hit the lake.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i fish to eat fish but i dont like frozen fish so i only keep what i will eat so i guess i limit my self

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
i fish to eat fish but i dont like frozen fish so i only keep what i will eat so i guess i limit my self
I bet if you asked 100 fishermen well over 50 would have this response. Nothing better than fresh fish. Nothing worse than seeing a deep freeze stuffed to the gills with freezer burned fillets

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why don't ANY of these "Celebrity" fishermen advocate scientific surveys to ensure healthy fish populations instead of jumping on this "Chicken Little the Sky is Falling" knee jerk, canned, agenda motivated response of "We NEED to reduce limits" BS all the time???? Do the work to monitor the fisheries and increase or reduce limits based on science instead of other motivations. Additionally, I see a fishing guide whose financial livelihood is irrevocably linked to and substantially benefits from a fish population containing large numbers of big fish and as such has a HUGE CONFLICT OF INTEREST when it comes to fisheries management decisions. IMO his statements and inputs are motivated by factors NOT in the interests of the average fisherman enjoying a day on the water. Those are my thoughts.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep. mine rarely makes it to the freezer. i eat it within a day or two or maybe give some away. if those aren't options they go back in the water. spent many days on the water catching fish and went home empty handed. i really really hate cleaning a 20 perch that are half frozen and half in the bag while the wife is complaining i am already late. the only reason i even do it most of the time is the damn things have their air bag poking out their mouth.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why don't ANY of these "Celebrity" fishermen advocate scientific surveys to ensure healthy fish populations instead of jumping on this "Chicken Little the Sky is Falling" knee jerk, canned, agenda motivated response of "We NEED to reduce limits" BS all the time???? Do the work to monitor the fisheries and increase or reduce limits based on science instead of other motivations. Additionally, I see a fishing guide whose financial livelihood is irrevocably linked to and substantially benefits from a fish population containing large numbers of big fish and as such has a HUGE CONFLICT OF INTEREST when it comes to fisheries management decisions. IMO his statements and inputs are motivated by factors NOT in the interests of the average fisherman enjoying a day on the water. Those are my thoughts.

I agree

- - - Updated - - -

also, McFeely can suck a fart

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess on a place like Oahe where they aren't stocked and rely completely on natural reproduction It seems that releasing adults or reducing a limit to 5 would keep more breeding adults in the system and therefore more fish would make it through winter every year creating domino effect. Who knows though.

I wish GNF would at least experiment once in a while with something like this just to see. They seem to pretty much want to make limits statewide and not do things on selective waters.

Sodak is stocking oahe this year with a shit ton of fingerlings i heard on the radio. Doing it down south since the reproduction has not been that good the past few years and we have an abundance of bait fish

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No one answer fits all fishermen. In the summer I might fish an average of 10 times. Usually depends on when grandchildren are around to fish. Compare that to someone who fishes virtually every day or at least 2-3 times per week. Keeping my limit every time (and I don't catch a limit every time) is quite a bit different than someone who fishes 10X as much. Another problem I've seen, especially with some fishermen who live very close to the lake is taking 2 limits per day. Not everyone does this but it does happen.

What it really comes down to is honoring the Sportsman's Code of Conduct. What you do when no one is watching determines what type of person you are. Example: If I catch my limit I pull in my line. I don't bring my grandkids so I can catch extra fish, they can catch their own. More fun for everyone.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jason is right on this one. We are the worst enemy. 15 or so years ago when i started doing catch and release family and friends thought i was crazy for letting fish go. I started to look at how many fish did i catch in a year and if i caught that many how about other people that fished like i did catching that many. I knew then that the resource couldn't support that. I let way more fish go then i keep, I have nothing to prove to anybody. Just take a good look next time you go fishing and notice how many people are fishing now compared to the past. What i see is at least triple the amount.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84