What are your thoughts on this?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jason is a hypocrite. His guide service posts how many limits after limits at the cleaning station. Give me a break

Short I don't think perch patrol or any other guide service post RECENT pics of daily catches. Maybe on Facebook they do but on their website they don't even post any recent fishing reports. Now zippy I can't stand total a$$

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of Perch Patrol, has anybody read their reviews on TripAdvisor? Yikes!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya know, if folks learned to shut their damn yaps again about where hot bites are, there wouldn't be an issue. Let the big lakes that can handle the pressure keep drawing the crowds. When you find that little slough with jumbos, for the love of Bill Dance KEEP IT TO YOURSELF.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya know, if folks learned to shut their damn yaps again about where hot bites are, there wouldn't be an issue. Let the big lakes that can handle the pressure keep drawing the crowds. When you find that little slough with jumbos, for the love of Bill Dance KEEP IT TO YOURSELF.

Funny story we are at the fish cleaning station and my son is maybe 5 and we are cleaning a bunch of fish with grandpa who is real secretive about where he catches fish. A guy asks my little boy where did you catch those fish well he replies in the mouth. The guy says oh really my son says ya grandpa told me not to tell any one we caught them at blue blanket. I just sat there and chuckled.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't know that the guides were all private contractors for perch patrol. I feel bad for those paying customers who didn't get what they paid for they all have good things to say about the acommadations.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get a kick out of a guide filling limits for customers day after day, week after week, advising us to let em go. How bout not making $$$ of a public resource, or you can guide, you just can't keep ANY!!!!!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
His argument make sense right up till you remember that guys with fully pimped out Riggs are not 100% of the pie it's more like 25%. You still have huge number of weekend warriors and shore fishermen who's over all impact is still what it always was. Now add in God knows how many new lakes that are out there spreading out some of the pressure and his whole premise starts taking on water. For me I don't care much for what a fishermen has to say right up till they start reporting a drop in numbers. Before that point I will always defer to the people who spend all day looking at these numbers for a living especially when we are seeing record numbers on most lakes and the big two are in full on recovery mode with sak getting real damn good. Trying to compare out here to MN is just dumb especially when natives with gill nets were a large part of the problem over there.

As for the crappie in oahe I just wish the game and fish would do like SD and start stocking them in places like Beaver and cattail so we could get a stable kick ass fishery instead of this one good year class shit. I would have to believe anything stocked by them should have a decent jump start vs wild spawn thus hopefully getting us up and over the first winter barrier that stops the wild ones.

I cant find the oahe stocking reports i have wondered how many crappies they are putting in a year. I can find out looks but not actual reports

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lunker they post the limits of eyeballs at the cleaning station on FB. Mitchell too no different. Even his current site shows a pic if i remember corrrectly. I dont have a problem with seeing limits at the table. I really dont.

As far as a "decked out" boat not keeping fish --- WTF???? Guide boats imo are decked out --they keep limits -- Tournament boats -- chamber / gov cup - they may not be all decked out but most are --- they may not keep a limit - but they kill some big fish.

Mitchell's audience is geared to get you to buy the biggest and best of all the gear. That is his business period. ND drags in some serious cash from https://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/subpages/licenseinfo/HuntingLicCertHistory20042015.pdf https://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/subpages/licenseinfo/HuntingLicCertHistory20042015.pdf

in general resident licenses are on a decline --- however non resident are increasing. Who is keeping the fish--- well i just happened to have quite a view this summer. IMO we have a fair amount of resys that keep the fish; me included. What i seen is that you have a fair amount of spring early summer residents hittin it hard and keeping fish; like the rest of my buddies - sometimes you keep sometime not ----then by summer they taper off and of course by August the ramps are empty (I love this time of year - best fishing and no crowds!!!). The non-residents are hardcore -- they keep everything -- they are here for only one thing fish fish fish. Then you have the guides with non resiidents and some residents -- they are here for one thing keep keep keep. Doesnt matter the type of boat Jason or electronics --- watch the pros its all method and the ability to get the big fish. ND is bonehead fishing 101. Walleyes are like sunfish in a MN lake - they bite anything. I fished bass from the time i could walk until my early 30s. I probably could count on one hand how many fish i kept during the entire period. Moral of the story --- Jason wants his cake and eat it too.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of the time you need a predator fish or you will have a lake full of 6" perch. Pike seem to be prolific re producers and when the word gets out about a perch bite, people make pigs of themselves. Perfect example is West Lake by Napoleon. Couple years ago there was good perch fishing, and it seemed the whole upper Midwest knew about it. When game and fish netted the lake this summer, not one perch in their net. Lakes can and do get fished out. Seems a perch bite and a big buck make people lose their minds.
I say let the fisherman fish out a lake instead of letting the pike eat them all. Or put walleyes in there instead of pike.

Cormorants destroyed West lake.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ps --- i retired from my FBO armchair job --- but i will put my hat on for this one --- Crapppies and Walleye do not get along-- your not going to have massive quaniitities of both together in harmony. ie red lake mn -- one or the other prevail - not both.
--- stock walleyes and forget about crappies.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know i heard that they are stocking a whole shit ton of walleye on the south end of oahe this year. For the last 6 or so year the crappie and walleyes have been getting along here . Jig pillars and fill the box with both in august till freeze up.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.capjournal.com/news/gfp-to-stock-walleye-into-lower-reach-of-lake-oahe/article_92abd86e-de0e-11e6-8d53-77d1a5e95f8f.html

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I 100% agree that the tech available now has reduced the learning curve. Have you met some of the dummies on this site that crush fish like they know what they're doing?

Proalert!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Look at tournament results --- before calling out "dummies". They all have the fancy equipment -- yet you can have a seasoned pro bring in 5lbs and another unkown contestant bring in a 20lbs. The well know name seasoned pro has all the tools and has even won on the lake previously.

It pisses me off when somebody sticks out chest, thinks he has it all figured out -- when in reality you havent figured out shit! Their is only one thing your going to learn in life as you get older --- you don have it figured out -- and you are going to end up on this earth in the same place as everybody else.

This rant -- is for the guy having a beer this afternoon --and your chest isnt sticking out - but your belly is ---- :;:cheers

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cant find the oahe stocking reports i have wondered how many crappies they are putting in a year. I can find out looks but not actual reports
Yeah I know on our side they don't stock it with anything. Because of that fact and the fact that there clearly is a high demand for the crappie down there i don't think it's out of line to start pressing for a look at stocking them if it would in fact increase survivability. Then add in SD doing it as well and it all adds up plus natural reproduction and we could have one hell of a fishery for them. Maybe with oahe being high right now we might get enough flooding of the brush to mimic 2011 and get another year class going with decent numbers.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I keep depends on what's in my freezer. I am currently down to 2 small bags in the freezer. Tomorrow will be my first time ice fishing since ice up. Hope to catch a limit of something, and FYI I'm going to keep it.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also how many guys with the fully decked out boats actually keep a limit of fish every time out? I bet most of them don't keep any fish (don't feel lile cleaning fish) more days out vs days they keep a limit

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight............Because fisherman with decked out boats have evolved into such sophisticated gentlemen who would never dream of cleaning icky fish. After all, that's for poor people. I guess me and my barbaric friends with dingy's will keep raping and pillaging the waters of North Dakota like a bunch of savages.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight............Because fisherman with decked out boats have evolved into such sophisticated snobs who would never dream of cleaning icky fish. After all, that's for poor people. I guess me and my barbaric friends with dingy's will keep raping and pillaging the waters of North Dakota like a bunch of savages.

Fixed it for you.;:;rofl

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like mentioned earlier, make decisions based on scientific data and don't throw stones when you live in a glass house.

Fisherman's life stage in a nutshell:
1. Must get limit, must get limit, gotta get a limit
2. Limits are fun, but now I want a trophy/trophys. Where are the trophys? Gotta get trophys.
3. Fish for pure enjoyment of it and not worry about limits or trophys, but thank them when they come. Throw back more fish. Mouth gets tighter.

I don't have an issue with the way it is now, but the steady stream 'sconnies/etc make me want to puke.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your back ---- hope you didnt buy every blue pill they had and caught every catchable "pon". i will be der in June -- no fishing just drinkin.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I 100% agree that the tech available now has reduced the learning curve. Have you met some of the dummies on this site that crush fish like they know what they're doing?

Proalert!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Look at tournament results --- before calling out "dummies". They all have the fancy equipment -- yet you can have a seasoned pro bring in 5lbs and another unkown contestant bring in a 20lbs. The well know name seasoned pro has all the tools and has even won on the lake previously.

It pisses me off when somebody sticks out chest, thinks he has it all figured out -- when in reality you havent figured out shit! Their is only one thing your going to learn in life as you get older --- you don have it figured out -- and you are going to end up on this earth in the same place as everybody else.

This rant -- is for the guy having a beer this afternoon --and your chest isnt sticking out - but your belly is ---- :;:cheers

Look beyond tournaments. Look at the equipment on the lake, open water or ice fishing, and tell us that fishing isn't getting easier for even the newest fisherman. Same things apply to hunting. Posting a limit of fish/trophy fish/giant deer is the new norm and more people will continue to strive for limits and trophy fish. That means they'll spend as much money as it takes. I know far too many people who fish under 10 times a year and somehow they have multiple trophy fish on the wall. Tell me that electronics and other specialized equipment doesn't help a dummy become up to speed rather quickly these days.

And to be fair, Im one of the dummies.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88