April Blizzard Predicted next week

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have friends that were on the ranch during the 96-97 winter and they are forever changed by that experience. Literally, forever and forever changed. The stress of the weather was incredible.

I feel we fared very well during this blizzard as far as saving calves, losses were minimal. Its alot of extra work dragging them in the barn, warming up chilled calves, and getting them all sucking on momma again. The problem with these storms is the cold temps that seem to follow them and the frickin wind that never lets up. Now this last storm was mainly just rain for us but it turned everything into a muddy sloppy mess. I want to move the cows to a drier pasture but don't have as much protection there and with the 30+ mph winds today might be impossible to get the calves to move with. Basically all of us ranchers just need a break, this storm after storm after storm is getting to be to much.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think all of Burke County is out of power, MDU, BurkeDivide Electric went home last night they are going to start this morning sometime, still snowing here

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel we fared very well during this blizzard as far as saving calves, losses were minimal. Its alot of extra work dragging them in the barn, warming up chilled calves, and getting them all sucking on momma again. The problem with these storms is the cold temps that seem to follow them and the frickin wind that never lets up. Now this last storm was mainly just rain for us but it turned everything into a muddy sloppy mess. I want to move the cows to a drier pasture but don't have as much protection there and with the 30+ mph winds today might be impossible to get the calves to move with. Basically all of us ranchers just need a break, this storm after storm after storm is getting to be to much.

I get it, storm after storm just wears a family down. During that winter of 96-97, the snow came the third Sunday of October in our neck of the prairie. And it never stopped snowing or blowing for months it seemed. Hay couldn't be hauled, cattle couldn't be accessed to move them home or to safer winter pasture. The big blizzard right before Christmas was killer. Many cattle were shot where they stood buried after that storm as there was simply no way to get them out before they died. Add in the nut kicker storms of late spring like this one and my stomach turns thinking about it. Kitchens full of calves trying to get them warmed up and back to the cows like you say. I don't envy ranching at all in tough conditions.

I haven't heard how everyone made out so far but where I'm at in W SD we had about a foot of snow a 65 mph winds for about 40 hours. Some pretty big drifts but grass showing in others. Needed the moisture but it was a tough few days for the critters I'm sure.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Next wknd according to noaa. This
appears to be another dynamic system, so will be monitoring model
trends closely over the coming days.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
rain.jpg

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Throw on another 1"-2" of rain on top of what melts. Another system coming up next weekend, mostly in the form of rain.

If that ground ain't soaked enough.....

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where it all started is somebody started whining about low water

- - - Updated - - -

How high's the water, mama?
Two feet high and risin'
How high's the water, papa?
She said it's two feet high and risin'

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where it all started is somebody started whining about low water

- - - Updated - - -

How high's the water, mama?
Two feet high and risin'
How high's the water, papa?
She said it's two feet high and risin'

still building low water ramps here keep the rain coming still a desert

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Throw on another 1"-2" of rain on top of what melts. Another system coming up next weekend, mostly in the form of rain.

If that ground ain't soaked enough.....

If that shifts into the RRV things could get ugly.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
If that shifts into the RRV things could get ugly.

It's looking like the RRV will start getting rain on Thursday that will continue through the weekend. With rivers over the banks already, you are right , It could get ugly .

NWS flood predictions update every 5 minutes but they only factor in 24 hours of future precipitation, the way I'm seeing it is the projections might create a short term sense of relief as of now followed by panic mode later in the week.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's looking like the RRV will start getting rain on Thursday that will continue through the weekend. With rivers over the banks already, you are right , It could get ugly .

NWS flood predictions update every 5 minutes but they only factor in 24 hours of future precipitation, the way I'm seeing it is the projections might create a short term sense of relief as of now followed by panic mode later in the week.

Flood forecasts for river locations are generally done 1-4 times per day, depending on the complexity of the location. The forecast itself is in 6 hr increments while the river stage data is usually in 15 minute intervals.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flood forecasts for river locations are generally done 1-4 times per day, depending on the complexity of the location. The forecast itself is in 6 hr increments while the river stage data is usually in 15 minute intervals.

In my defense , having lived up on a high hill all my life, these flood information maps are new to me. The only thing that really jumped out at me was a foot note.

(NOTE: River forecasts for this location take into account past precipitation and the precipitation amounts expected approximately 24 hours into the future from the forecast issuance time.)

http://https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=fgf&gage=hwdn8&refresh=true

I see so many variables that I imagine must be part of a big complex computer model that bundles together, the Red River being the animal that pretty much dictates how the smaller rivers behave ? Its to complex for a dry land hillbilly .

- - - Updated - - -

First link didn't work.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=fgf&gage=hwdn8&refresh=true

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 196
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95