broken yolks happen, but what do you do???

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i powered through it and had an awesome hamburger steak without the awesome egg gravy to make it spectacular... i feel fortunate to have lived through this, but isn't there some kind of insurance for this??? this is 'merica right???

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
OK I guess I live in a bubble. What is Egg Gravy and how do you make it?

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
ya gotta bring up food..did cha......not fan of yolks on meat...but pancakes, hashbrowns, toast...uumm yes......

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crack on a sharp edge so as to get it open without breaking the yolk. Assuming you get it into the pan sans breakage, DON'T rush the flip. The white should be white, no clear left. I make eggs sorta like I make steaks. I have the heat on high until I see a wisp of smoke, crack the eggs in then cut the heat down to 3-4. No flip until the whites are minimum 1/2 done, and can be nearly fully done. Flip and finish in <1min.

Assuming cast iron (because you're a heathen if you don't), use a very thin spatula, I prefer metal to plastic because it gets thinner.

You can also skip the flip. Use a little higher heat, say back off to 5 once you've "cracked in", once you start to see a little white forming, you put 1-1.5oz of water in the pan lid (it doesn't take much, smaller pan, less water), dump it in the pan and quickly cover. It should steam the top shut. Takes a bit of practice on the timing to not end up with watery/runny whites.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Baste them and you never have to flip, yet the whites are not runny like on a sunny side up. Nothing more gross than runny whites. :bigpuke:

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I make poached eggs often. Great on toast, hashbrowns, whatever. But there is a fine line between undercooked and a hard yolk

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
As having 14 1/2 yrs cooking experience - I must say over-easy wins hands down, basted and sunny up close second, scrambled and overhard, not often that I got an over-medium , rounds the field out.

And I must say that sunny up were my least favorite because they took so long.

Last edited:

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
pancakes with maple syrup and real butter, bacon to dip in the syrupy buttery goodnes, hasbrown with some onion and peppers all cooked in real butter with over easy eggs that were cooked in butter or bacon grease on top and toast with real butter to swipe up the runny goodnes of the eggs just ate a bit ago and hungry now.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of the time I do my eggs the no flip way with a little water poured in the edge of the pan at the right time then put the lid on. Runny egg yolks on hash browns is a must. :;:exactly ;:;boozer

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing better than a good skillet (potatoes, onions, peppers, meat, cheese) with a couple over-easy eggs on top.

An over-easy egg on a burger is pretty damn good too, I had one last night actually.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do a scramble over easy most of the time ... crack the egg into hot pan...then poke and scramble yolk just a bit but not messing with white ... flip and cook just enough so yolk is still runny ... I do it this way because that's the way I like it ... also wife does not like runny yolk so hers gets cooked a little longer

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys are making me hungry. I don't like runny white, but I do like runny yolk. I don't like it on ribeye, but burger is great. Like many other it's absolutely delicious on hash browns with onion. A little green pepper doesn't hurt anything either. Or cheese. Oooor best of all Andouille sausage. Ooooooo yump onions, hash browns, Andouille sausage and two or three runny yolk eggs on top. That's it I have to check specials at the local restaurants. I'm out of here.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88