Freezing sewer vent pipes

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got off the roof. Went in basement n something smelled dead. Smelt the drain n knew what it was. Just dumped some hot water down both vents. Upstairs tub was gurgeling when flushed toilet, so figured it was coming. Be safe all n take care of it! Happy New Year!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes I have a septic system and have the same issues with vents freezing up

onpoint!

Established Member
For the first time ever, had to unplug mine yesterday (downstairs bathroom smelled). Warned the neighbors.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sitting in the driveway and looking at the house and looks like this topic needs to be brought up again... just something to think about with all the cold last couple weeks

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Careful on the roof(s). Not only can they obviously be slippery, but shingles are incredibly brittle at 30 below. Easy to break shingles, and pay for the damage later. I won't go on my roof in the winter, unless I have a real reason.

Bossman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also don't forget about skylights..I have about 3.5 feet of snow on the roof and one of the skylights starting leaking yesterday..I had to get up there and clear the snow so the water/ice that was thawing would freeze again...

onpoint!

Established Member
fashioned a copper T two years ago following my last time on the roof, has worked well since apparently. thought its effectiveness was from a combo of heat inside going up as well as sun warming the copper from the outside enough to keep the ice from forming... either way, it cost a trip to hardware store for under $10.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Using black abs plastic pipe on just the short stretch out the roof helps too. But honestly I’ve never had a vent freeze

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've had plenty of vents freeze up. Another thing to keep an eye on is the exhaust of your furnace, whether vented through the roof or side of the home, as well as a radon mitigation system, if you have one. My radon system damn near iced completely shut the round of cold before this.

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never did get around to messing with it last summer and twice I have had them freeze up so far this winter. The first time I just used a really long extendable paint pole with a roller frame attached to the end to knock them free. Luckily I can reach them with a short ladder on the deck and not have to mess around with climbing on the roof. I bought some PVC safe heat tape and my plan is to drop a heat tape down each vent, or one anyway, and if it starts icing just plug it in. Should be easy enough. I may get in the attic and install the heat tape more permanently later on as well. Its not fun coming home to a shitty smelling house when its below zero outside!

Magpie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Besides the frost- snow plug visible on the top of the pipe. Sewer vent pipes will freeze in the attic just above the insulation line. Where the cold attic air meets the warm house air. Hot water or a long spud bar for that. The copper T should be long enough to extend below the insulation.

Motor Mouse

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=&quot]Insul Vent Insulated Sewer Vent. Google this buy the size for your vent slip it on and forget it. Been using them for years. Best thing is they are built by handicapped workers. Wagon Wheel I n Washburn ND sells them or buy them online.

[/FONT]

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My bathroom ceiling vent fan has started dripping in cold weather the last couple years. I think the flexible tube going up to the roof vent frosts up and then thaws out, running back out of the fan housing. When I remodeled the bathroom I should have run it out the wall in a U shape. And my roof vent freezes too. Years ago our old farmhouse had a cast iron vent pipe and I'd shoot the ice off with a .22.

Founding Member
Founding Member
My furnace was acting up so I started checking things step by step after reading google search stuff.
Have had our new home for a while now and never thought of checking the furnace suction that comes out just above the concrete of my basement. About 2.5 feet off the ground with a cover over it like one for the dryer.
It had a fine screen over it and that screen was covered solid with grass clippings from over the years. Something to check out also from time to time.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Careful on the roof(s). Not only can they obviously be slippery, but shingles are incredibly brittle at 30 below. Easy to break shingles, and pay for the damage later. I won't go on my roof in the winter, unless I have a real reason.

I take the family up to roof when its -30. Better view of sundogs

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
And it begins...Mine aren't frozen shut yet, but noticed formations on both sewer vent pipes and the radon vent pipe. The warm-up predicted for Sunday can't come soon enough.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 152
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88