Good advice to the next generation

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
BillGates.jpg

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was written by Charles Sykes, author of the book Dumbing Down our Kids: Why American Children Feel Good About Themselves, But Can't Read, Write, or Add.

Bill Gates never said any of this. Guess we should add basic research to reading, writing, and arithmetic-ing

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was written by Charles Sykes, author of the book Dumbing Down our Kids: Why American Children Feel Good About Themselves, But Can't Read, Write, or Add.

Bill Gates never said any of this. Guess we should add basic research to reading, writing, and arithmetic-ing

Thanks FC. Someone posted it on my FB page and like a rookie I assumed they had checked it out. I will let them know who really wrote it.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
In hindsight, I wish I was as smart as I thought I was when I was growing up as I really didn't know S*&^%!

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have read this to the kids at least 3 times!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for clearing up who wrote it. But, to be perfectly honest, kids wont listen to any of it if they don't know who wrote it. They associate Bill Gates with success and for this reason alone, they will listen to it. I am glad to know who wrote it, but frankly, don't care. Its perfect and it could be signed, anonymous. Again, thanks for the clarification.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can tell this is written some years back, point #3 needs to be updated regarding the car phone part. Seems like they get phones around 5th grade now! Good stuff otherwise.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Rule 12: don't believe everything on the internet. Lol

Rules to live by for sure.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yeah, some of it needs to be updated; EX: car phone and $60,000/year out of HS. Platinum pointed out the early age that young'uns are getting phones today and there are jobs that pay $60,000/year out of HS. They're not glamorous jobs and you don't get by with a 40 hour work week. Know some young men working in the oilfield making that kind of money but it's not for everyone. Very hard dangerous work. Regardless of who wrote or said it, much of the message is valid.

We probably don't want to admit it but I'm guessing others my age probably learned quite a bit the first few years we were out on our own as well. For me, income was a huge adjustment. Back in the early 70's I was living a pretty carefree lifestyle on about $1500/year in spending money. That didn't include any expenses for college such as tuition, room & board etc. That $1500 was beer and run-around money. Signed a teaching contract for a little over $6000 and thought I would have all kinds of money. Rude awakening when they started taking taxes and other deductions out of my check, started paying real life expenses for rent and car payments. Life wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. We all went through some of a learning experience.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Imo it's all in the parenting. I see kids living with much less then the wasteful boomers and boomers kids. Some of them are figuring out life and that it isn't personal possessions that make one happy. I have a student that works for me. Never late nor sick work ethic excellent exceeds expectations. Parents r my age or younger (born after boomer age). My daughter in college works up to 5 jobs maintains above 3.5 gpa earns enough not to borrow.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here’s the problem, most of you believe the failings of some is a generational issue. Every group of people has their shit birds.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Imo it's all in the parenting. I see kids living with much less then the wasteful boomers and boomers kids. Some of them are figuring out life and that it isn't personal possessions that make one happy. I have a student that works for me. Never late nor sick work ethic excellent exceeds expectations. Parents r my age or younger (born after boomer age). My daughter in college works up to 5 jobs maintains above 3.5 gpa earns enough not to borrow.

better be care full might need surgery on your shoulder you keep patting yours self on the back so much........

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
When low on bait, one can dig their own worms

Last edited:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here’s the problem, most of you believe the failings of some is a generational issue. Every group of people has their shit birds.

This ^^^^^^^^

This should be reading for everybody not just us young wippersnappers. I know and work with a few older people that are worse than some of us younger guys and they want to be coddled and everything done for them, and if they get told they are doing something wrong they will pout the rest of the day. Maybe that also comes with being in the workforce for 30 years too.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realize some things can be solved without violence

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33