Sb 2315 - reborn after house gutting!

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fritz,

Welcome back. I didn’t see any response to my reply to you regarding SB 2360 on page 8.

Dustit,

didn't want to highjack the thread. We pass laws all the time to help beginning farmers. 2360 was meant for them. If a beginning farmer's wife works in town, her gross compared to his net on a bad crop year can put them into that bracket where they get taxed on their dwelling in addition to real property owned. Double whammy.

guy said,

save your fingers dustit - fritz can’t be frank/honest - he’s on a mission

- - - Updated - - -

political cover my ass

without any signatures, that letter could have been typed up and submitted by anyone - I doubt it’s genuinely from them

if it is, they need to sign their leadership’s names to it

Guy, you are correct. We need names.

dustit

Dustit,

didn't want to highjack the thread. We pass laws all the time to help beginning farmers. 2360 was meant for them. If a beginning farmer's wife works in town, her gross compared to his net on a bad crop year can put them into that bracket where they get taxed on their dwelling in addition to real property owned. Double whammy.

I should listen to guy and save my fingers but I’m too stubborn to let Fritz spew bs. I haven’t been on nda long enough to know better yet.

Fritz,

I’m not looking to “hijack” the thread but when you put bs out there I’m going to call you on it.

Let’s call a spade a spade when talking about SB 2360. This is simply taking the tax burden from some and putting it on others. Exemptions like this are simply tax shifts!!!

If you want to talk about a double standard, let’s talk about landowners who are not “farmers” but pay taxes on a dwelling plus the land they own or in your words “they get taxed on their dwelling in addition to real property owned. Double whammy.”

Why is should the exemption only be valid for farmers? Better yet why even have this exemption?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The exemption needs to end. As well as half a dozen other gravy train bullshit items

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
just so you all know - gst (Gabe Thompson) continues to troll here, he copied this post, and shared it last night on Facebook to paint NDA members as radical zealots who are threatening lawmakers.

20200503_183246.jpg

To Gimme-Gimme Gabe, I'd say: "Should not LAWMAKERS first and foremost be vigilant and beyond reproach LAW-FOLLOWERS?"

Secondarily, shouldn't the LAWMAKER in question go about developing a relationship with the EPA, and all the other regulatory agencies he works with in order to understand their rules and abide by them fully BEFORE the 1st bovine strolls off the truck? In fact, based upon Gimme-Gimme's interpretation of how hunters need to interact with landowners, a feedlot or even wintering corrals should be inspected and certified before the 1st bovine-laden truck is en-route.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
Probably need to run full page adds exposing these clowns.
If they don't have term limits for these state offices what we are seeing will be hard to change.(he'll, I don't even know if that statement is correct about the term limits?). In Morton County, some of the positions don't even have anyone running against them. Must be great jobs.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The state is at an irrepairable point. The war now between land owners and the rest of North Dakotans is only going to get worse. The Ag community wants all the rules their way and all the breaks you can think of but don’t want to give anything back. Society in general has gotten bad for that but Ag has perfected it. If we don’t real them in we will end up giving them everything they ever seek

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let's back up a bit Dustit,

Eye was telling his Rep if this passes the sportsmen are going to run three ballot measures against landowners. The farm dwelling exemption was one. Can't remember the other two but what I did was use SB 2360 as an example. It passed. If guys like Eye want to retaliate against farmers, then SB 2360 was a golden opportunity. That was my only point. Dustit, if you want to debate the de-merits of SB2360, you should have done so at the legislative sub-committee hearings.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dustit,

guy said,

Guy, you are correct. We need names.

By double whammy are you saying they would be treated like every other non farming married couple

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Obi, a full time farmer with a stay at home wife pays thousands on real property and not their dwelling. Apples to apples if a young beginning farmer has a wife who works in town they may be treated differently ending up paying on both. SB 2360 levels things.

Or maybe you think all rural residents should pay on their dwelling? Why stop there, tax their old barn too? My wife and I drive through Montana often and she likes to comment on the run down condition of their farm's out buildings.

guywhofishes said,

without any signatures, that letter could have been typed up and submitted by anyone - I doubt it’s genuinely from them

if it is, they need to sign their leadership’s names to it

So how you guys coming on finding out the names of individuals belonging to the ND chapter of the wildlife society, ND wildlife federation, Delta Waterfowl and United Sportsmen of ND who signed that letter of support for SB 2315? Remember Nick Simonson said he was approached but declined to sign on. Approached by whom? Might be a good place to start.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
The divisiveness and rhetoric this issue has created is saddening. And very unproductive. I think folks need to remember who owns the land and who let most of us hunt.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Obi, a full time farmer with a stay at home wife pays thousands on real property and not their dwelling. Apples to apples if a young beginning farmer has a wife who works in town they may be treated differently ending up paying on both. SB 2360 levels things.

Or maybe you think all rural residents should pay on their dwelling? Why stop there, tax their old barn too? My wife and I drive through Montana often and she likes to comment on the run down condition of their farm's out buildings.

So how you guys coming on finding out the names of individuals belonging to the ND chapter of the wildlife society, ND wildlife federation, Delta Waterfowl and United Sportsmen of ND who signed that letter of support for SB 2315? Remember Nick Simonson said he was approached but declined to sign on. Approached by whom? Might be a good place to start.

ALL residents should pay taxes equally based on the value. Why should "rural residents " be exempt when others are not? By granting tax breaks to some it shifts the burden on to others.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its not all rural residents. Pretty sure i pay on my assessed value which includes the house, outbuildings, bins, land, etc...

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The divisiveness and rhetoric this issue has created is saddening. And very unproductive. I think folks need to remember who owns the land and who let most of us hunt.

And who owns the game. And subsidizes the otherwise worthless crops. And consumes the cattle. I see your point and agree that landowners have rights, but let’s be realistic.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just speaking for myself, I've never felt like I should be automatically granted access to land and I've always been very appreciative when allowed because I know its a privilege. I don't know anyone who doesn't feel this way. And there lies one of the problems many of us have with the bill; those instances that pissed off landowners wouldn't be stopped if it passed. But the regular guy who hunts land which the owner left unposted (obviously knowing someone may hunt it) loses more opportunities. I personally don't have a qualm with the gov incentives farmers and ranchers receive, but when the vocal ones start throwing mud at "city folk telling them how to live", I can see how you'd want to remind them that it wouldn't hurt to be a bit more neighborly. The wound is fresh and I don't see anyone having a rational discussion anytime soon.

By the way; grew up in a tiny town, not my parents but family farmed/ranched, most of my friends did as well. Living in Mandan now so I guess I'm city folk now.

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think these ag groups better realize they should not get in between sportsmen and their access to land otherwise there will be consequences. They already restrict non profits from buying land and have capped any future government land purchases. They also want to sell all public lands and restrict access to the little public lands we already have. They can’t have it all their own way so they better compromise otherwise sportsmen will fight back and take away some of these existing laws. We had a happy medium until the ag groups decided to rock the boat.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with you bravo,

Rep. Todd Porter mentioned voting SB 2315 down for now but let's go back and fix this. He knows the wound is huge. The House divided into a rural verses urban slug fest. That was bad.

Months ago I said it would be nice to give landowners their much wanted trespass Bill with the exception hunting isn't trespass. I had no ideas how to achieve that and months later it seems no one else could come up with a workable plan either. They did try and it led them into deep water.

You mentioned Rep. Mike Brandenburg bringing up sportsmen flying in to DC to lobby against agriculture. Mike should never have brought that up as it doesn't pertain to the issue. Sportsmen don't do fly-ins to DC. Conservation orgs do that.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 52
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 17