Sciatica?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
A big medical breakthrough would be a way to measure pain in a patient. When you go to a Dr. and tell them where and how bad the pain is and an MRI isn't conclusive most of them automatically think you are crying wolf for opioids. Or worse yet , They run you through the mill and shove tubes up your arteries to look at your heart because your BP is high from the pain.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had back pain since i was 5 years old and lived with it ever since.
I tell everyone that asks: Try everything out there before going under the knife. Going under the knife should be your last resort not the first. I have had 5 1/2 back surgeries and 2 neck surgeries. Both of the last surgeries of neck and back they fused and put rods and screws and cables in.
Injections never worked for me in the neck or back.
Since moving to AZ most of my back pain or should say the deep gnawing back pain has been gone. Still hurt but nothing like when we lived in NoDak. I did have a flare up from my lower back muscles that wouldn't go away and was constant muscle spasming. They gave me shots in NoDak for that but the last few years they didn't work. I see a chiropractor weekly here and that gets me by. Anyway for the muscle spasms a chiro here has a natural Doctor in his office and she recommended 3 series of shots in my lower back. I got them Monday, Wednesday, and Friday about 15 months ago and i haven't had muscle spasms in the lower back since.
She gave me Traumeel and Zeel injections. It was self pay as insurance wouldn't cover it as it is a natural solution injection and not something a regular Doctor will give you. Worked for me but can't say it is a cure all for everyone.
Back and neck pain can literally ruin your life believe me. Also if suffering nerve pain don't horse around too long or you could have permanent nerve damage.
I swear by chiropractors and there are good and bad ones. Traction or an inversion table can help also. Just don't overdue it right away with and inversion table. Like mentioned above those big bouncey balls can help also.
If you do need to go under the knife, LISTEN to what your Doctor tells you and DO IT. Don't do something you shouldn't be doing as things have to heal and healing can take time! Believe me as i didn't listen after 2 of the surgeries on my back and did things while working that i shouldn't have done but thought hey i feel good and i can just do this this once. BIG mistake!
Had my last lower back surgery at Sanford in Bismarck Dr. Eric Belanger and he was excellent. Some don't like him but i sure do. Also if you smoke he won't do the surgery especially if it is a fusion as they don't heal very well or fast if a smoker.
Anyway good luck.
Where are you located ND Sportsman?

Last edited:

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My story was already posted on here a couple years ago, so I will keep it short. Had history of tweaking back from time to time for years, my Chiropractor would just adjust me and I would be fine. Until I stepped in a old fox/coyote den checking game camera. Felt good rest of night, but couldn't hardly move. Went to my Chiro and he did adjustments...but didn't really assess my injury. Tried couple adjustments and electrolysis therapy, thinking spasms. Well...went to another Chiro I know and trust. He assessed, gave me exercised which should help...but did NOT adjust me. On 2 visit, he increased weight on traction machine and when it relaxed and thought I was going to quit breathing and it hurt like hell, as besides back pain, I had shooting pain down my right lig to my little toe. He said he believed I had disc issue and recommended MRI. Went to clinic, told doc my treatment history...got referral for MRI. I was taking Ibuprofen like crazy....! Insurance approved it almost right away...so MRI was done within days. Report came back herniated disc L4-L5 and L5-S1. I also had bulging disc L2-L3 and L3-L4. Asked for referral to Dr. Belanger in Bismarck, got in couple days later to see him. Developed game plan for surgery once insurance approves, 2 weeks later had "discectomy" on L4-L5, as that herniated disc to my right side was giving me the pain. The L5-S1 was herniated to the left, but I had no pain on left side. So Dr. Belanger figured that over time of heavy lifting, the mis-step into the hole was just enough. He advised me to take it easy and don't strain so hard on lifting and ask for help to lift. Another words....get rid of the male heeman ego. Since surgery...I had to take it real easy for 6 weeks, but Dr. Belanger said it take the disc a whole year to actually heal. With an end of January 2017 surgery, I was still have to Paddlefish that May, but watched how I handled the fishing rod. Since then I walk more and adjusted my lifting limits and stretch. Haven't been back to Chiro since and I feel great. Just listen to your body....messing up your back can really suck. But remember, 80% of the population will experience a back issue in one shape or another......but your actions and lifestyle can influence the severity.

Good luck!

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fought siatica pain for a few years it was absolute hell. There were two herniated discs in my lower back pinching the nerve. Had multiple injections some helped others not so much. Chiro didn't help so I quit doing that. Went to PT and did traction, dry needling, they taught me a lot of stretches and yoga type moves to do (which I still do daily), and massage. I had a TENS machine on me just about all day every day just to be able to function. This last October I went under the knife and had a microdiscectomy. I'll never forget it, I could barely make my way into the hostipal that morning but a few hours later I stood up and walked out the door with no pain! Then two days later I drove my wife to the hospital to have our baby. One hellova week that's for sure. Now six months later I am still pain free with only a couple nerve issues which they said will take some time to recover. If I sit too long my thigh tingles like it fell asleep is all.

★ Legendary Member
my bad

The above findings are so common in patients WITHOUT low back pain that while radiologists report their presence, they must be interpreted with caution and in the context of the clinical situation. (reference-Jarvik etal, Spine 2001). Prevalence in patients without low back pain:
Disk degeneration(decreased T2 signal, height loss, bulge)91%, Disk T2 signal loss(82%), Disk height loss(56%), Disk bulge(64%), Disk protrusion(32%), Annular fissure(38%).

The above is text taken right out of a MRI report of a patient with Low back pain. This information was rarely included 12years ago on a radiology report. It is now commonly included. WHY? Many people were having procedures done only because the presence of one or more of the above were identified on a MRI of the patient, only to have no or limited improvement of symptoms post surgical. This is why I wrote what I did in a previous post above.

I have never posted an image and didn't see it on my post and that is why I typed it out as well,

Attachments

MRI.jpg
Last edited:

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member

That is awesome news on how well you are doing. I remember that when I was doing all my pre-op appointments and had to drive to Bismarck, my wife would drive the Tahoe. Sitting sucked and it hurt like hell when we would stop I would get out. Just putting or lowering my right foot to the ground hurt. The last 2 trips, I laid down in the back of the Tahoe. I only felt good standing, walking and laying on the floor. Day of surgery. Arrived at hospital at 6:00 am, did all the pre-op stuff and walked to prep area. Went in with pain, came out feeling great...no pain since. About an inch long incision on my lower back is it. Belanger said my disc jelly stuff ruptured and the brown crap was on my nerve, which is why the pain. He explained that out part of disc is like the hard rubber tread of the tire. He said my tread had a hole in it. You can patch a tire, but not your disc. It has to heal up and cover the hole on its own. Followed his orders and now I can sit in a boat all day fishing without a problem or care in the world.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
are you sure its sciatica and not some other muscle tightness issue causing lower back issues? i am sort of naive on this issue. so, excuse me if this sounds stupid or ignorant... but, i dealt with what i always sort of referred to as sciatica probably once a year for the last 5 years. it would linger for weeks at a time. what finally worked for me was i got one of those foam rollers and a ball to roll out my muscles that connect your thigh to your lower back. it hurt like hell and you could instantly tell that there was a crazy amount of tension in that group of muscles when you start putting pressure on them with a ball or the roller. the first time i used those two things, my 2 week long problem was gone within 24 hours. it wasn't enjoyable working it out. but, it sure worked for me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18