Slot limits and releasing big fish

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
So... Who's gonna have more kids in the long run? A fat old grandma? Or a young teenager with their whole life ahead of them? #$%^&>

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the pure shit luck the kids and I have had so far this spring, we are keeping everything from here on out for the rest of the month.

18 lb eyes, sturgeon, pike, and even carp!

Well, at least 2 of the 4.

Carp and Sturgeon?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the pure shit luck the kids and I have had so far this spring, we are keeping everything from here on out for the rest of the month.

18 lb eyes, sturgeon, pike, and even carp!

Well, at least 2 of the 4.

if i can fillet it i am keeping it the way i have been catching fish this year i am pretty sure they are all safe

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't any of you guys ever seen River Monsters? If fish are allowed to grow too big they will try to eat us!

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I encourage everyone to let the big gals swim again unless it is Devils Lake or the Red River. I rarely fish those lakes or rivers.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walleye populations across ND have shown for years that they DON'T need our help to thrive, so releasing fish to "Help" the population is a personal "Feel Good" that doesn't help or hurt fish stocks in any way. However, if you want to maximize the "Feel Good-ness" of releasing a walleye, then studies have shown that the 20-26 inch fish would do that. Female walleyes in this size range produce the largest percentage of viable eggs. Those 8+ pounders are grandmothers and have been shown to produce a substantially smaller percentage of viable eggs even though they individually produce a significantly larger number of eggs. I keep smaller fish just because I think they taste better and nothing more. If you want slot limits and closed spring spawning seasons MOVE TO MN or WI!!!! They have BOTH so you and ND will be much happier.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep I have an armchair biology degree from the university of BS and that is correct KDM, and lastly hopefully we can bury this dead horse before the flys get to it and stink to high heavens.

cavedude

Founding Member
Founding Member
We release fish roughly over 22" not just to keep them in the system or that "feel good" feeling. We release them to give another sportsman, child, or grandchild the thrill of catching a larger walleye. The 23-26" that I released could eventually become a 27-30" fish and a great memory for someone else. Sometimes it's not just about meat in the freezer.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep I have an armchair biology degree from the university of BS and that is correct KDM, and lastly hopefully we can bury this dead horse before the flys get to it and stink to high heavens.

Never going to happen lunker. This topic is like a bad penny. It comes up every spring and at least once in the fall when walleye fishing is easy and lots of fish are being caught. Fortunately science is a pretty effective counter for wanting slots limits, spring closures, and the like.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think this topic will ever go away because beating a dead horse is much more fun!

KDM- trusting science is very Algorian.

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had to deal with slot limits for years since moving south , once you get used to them they ain't no big deal do they work ? I don't know ... in SD we can only keep one over 20" and a 15" min. on eye's depending on the time of year and where your at ( ya ya I know) to me it ain't no big deal but the only time it sucks in my opinion is if you get a gut hooked fish or one you get out of deeper water that isn't going to survive and you watch them floating on the surface (just so your'e legal) personally and i don't care what any one else does , it don't matter where I'm fishing I wont keep a eye under 15" or a perch under 9" but then again those are my standards and if what you do is legal rock on and just enjoy catching fish

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We release fish roughly over 22" not just to keep them in the system or that "feel good" feeling. We release them to give another sportsman, child, or grandchild the thrill of catching a larger walleye. The 23-26" that I released could eventually become a 27-30" fish and a great memory for someone else. Sometimes it's not just about meat in the freezer.

What if that 15 you kept would have grown to 30?

- - - Updated - - -

And yes it is about meat when I go fishing I want to eat them

cavedude

Founding Member
Founding Member
What if that 15 you kept would have grown to 30?

- - - Updated - - -

And yes it is about meat when I go fishing I want to eat them

Then by all means keep every fish you catch. That's the great thing about not having a slot limit. I know everyone doesn't get to go fishing as much as others. I'm just lucky that I am able to get out fishing enough that I can practice selective harvest and not be so concerned about my next fish fry. Meals over memories... Got it.:;:thumbsup

k9guy82

Founding Member
Founding Member
As long as you're fishing legally, who cares.... For me, I prefer to keep 17-24 range. That depends though too...If its a super slow day and my first fish is a 25, ill take her home once I got my limit. I also go on several trips where I just catch and release. NDGF has already determined that a slot limit is needed so fish on boys and keep what you want!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think this topic will ever go away because beating a dead horse is much more fun!

KDM- trusting science is very Algorian.

If this is what you mean by Algorian, I like the duality of your statement!!!

Algorian Logic

A reasoning technique that entails reaching a conclusion about a subject in which one has no expertise and subsequently finding or creating factoids to support the conclusion without using critical thinking skills or research to discern the obvious impossibility of the facts or the conclusion.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have out stock every state. Imo this thread is dead. Nobody has stocked 4.1 million in one lake. So to the next guy that looks at me at the cleaning station. This Busch light is for you. I am going sit right here on the end of this pier........

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33