So...Recession?

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You read that right. She was fresh out of college and there were no jobs. She wound up taking shift work in the NICU, which was a job she loved.

As far as I personally know, healthcare is NOT "recession proof." Every industry has it's limits.

Finding a job right now and the past several years in the field is definitely not a problem. But it was in 2009.

You do realize that 55% of the US population is over the age of 35, and 33% is over the age of 50. The boomers are at retirement age and the older gen x's aren't far away. Health care is going to be in high demand for the next 30+ years. So you have a high percentage of population leaving the work force creating a void of workers and a steadily increasing demand compared to 15-years ago; and this is simply based on age demographics. Healthcare IS nearly recession proof. It's kinda like being a mortician, people will get sick and people will perish, it's the cycle of life.

Although inflation has it's affect on what elective and required healthcare people may seek, it's not like the purchasing of typical goods, services, real estate or commodities that can be completely shut off due to a financial stress. Comparing to 2008 when high unemployment rates had the potential to create a situation of having less health insured people, in 2023 everyone is insured via their employer or the government (so long as the government doesn't collopse), thank you Obama. Although it can be terrible work, and I don't envy any health care worker, it's one profession that is very consistent and as about as recession proof as a profession can get.

Yes, if your a Botox tech, working for an aesthetics clinic, or associated with a practice that doesn't take insurance, your clinic may slow significantly.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have been starting to wonder the same thing. Don't forget to add the $90k camper. I'm guessing this why there's a bank on every corner and they're getting bigger and nicer. I think this is the look at me era. Everyone wants the attention that comes with the nicest things. I think you're a moron.

One thing I like to keep in mind, for as many as I look around at and think are leveraged to the hilt, there are just as many that have that shit paid for. Tack on a considerable amount of generational wealth and I think many people would be surprised. There's also never been an easier time to make $100k-$200k year if your motivated. I could get job driving truck tomorrow and make a $150k+ a year and it isn't hard work, but you do have to be motivated to have your ass in the seat and you won't have much of a life outside of the cab of that truck.

I have been patiently waiting for the shit to hit the perverbial fan since this ridiculousness all began back in 2020 and it continues to amaze me that it hasn't. It will happen, and it will be devastating for some that aren't prepared. For those that are prepared, they'll be the first to take advantage and wealth gap will just grow larger.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Property owners who have questions can contact the City of Bismarck Assessing Division at 701-355-1630 prior to that meeting in April with questions or to initiate a review of the property valuation. After the Assessing Division’s review, property owners that want to appeal the valuation may do so to the City of Bismarck Board of Equalization on April 4 at 5:15 p.m. at City/County Building, 221 N 5th St., in the Tom Baker meeting room.

If the appeal is denied by the City of Bismarck’s Board of Equalization, citizens may also appeal their values with the Burleigh County Board of Equalization that meets on June 5, 2023.

To learn more about valuations, please visit the City's property assessment page. To request a reassessment of a property, please call 701-355-1630.

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sha...ck out this news article for City of Bismarck

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Remember if your taxes seem fair or too low, you can appeal so you pay your fair share. That way you're not dragging your neighbors down.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
You do realize that 55% of the US population is over the age of 35, and 33% is over the age of 50. The boomers are at retirement age and the older gen x's aren't far away. Health care is going to be in high demand for the next 30+ years. So you have a high percentage of population leaving the work force creating a void of workers and a steadily increasing demand compared to 15-years ago; and this is simply based on age demographics. Healthcare IS nearly recession proof. It's kinda like being a mortician, people will get sick and people will perish, it's the cycle of life.

Although inflation has it's affect on what elective and required healthcare people may seek, it's not like the purchasing of typical goods, services, real estate or commodities that can be completely shut off due to a financial stress. Comparing to 2008 when high unemployment rates had the potential to create a situation of having less health insured people, in 2023 everyone is insured via their employer or the government (so long as the government doesn't collopse), thank you Obama. Although it can be terrible work, and I don't envy any health care worker, it's one profession that is very consistent and as about as recession proof as a profession can get.

Yes, if your a Botox tech, working for an aesthetics clinic, or associated with a practice that doesn't take insurance, your clinic may slow significantly.
Sooner or later the costs will be so high that they will need to decrease just like everything else. Its going to happen.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing I like to keep in mind, for as many as I look around at and think are leveraged to the hilt, there are just as many that have that shit paid for. Tack on a considerable amount of generational wealth and I think many people would be surprised. There's also never been an easier time to make $100k-$200k year if your motivated. I could get job driving truck tomorrow and make a $150k+ a year and it isn't hard work, but you do have to be motivated to have your ass in the seat and you won't have much of a life outside of the cab of that truck.

I have been patiently waiting for the shit to hit the perverbial fan since this ridiculousness all began back in 2020 and it continues to amaze me that it hasn't. It will happen, and it will be devastating for some that aren't prepared. For those that are prepared, they'll be the first to take advantage and wealth gap will just grow larger.
Shit was paid for when the prices were considerably less.

Fed raised the interest rates again today. Jobs -- Indeed did layoffs today 2200 people -- sounds like the job market is cooling. I remember the 80s well 5 houses built in fargo one year that was it. I hope it doesnt come to that; but that would be a wake up call. 200k doesnt buy you some of the pontoons at the sportshow. Not enough$$$.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
someone up top hit the nail on the head regarding how a lot of folk can afford to live such wonderful lifestyles.... generational wealth is a real thing and its a life changer when handled correctly. you would be utterly surprised to realize the number of people who die and leave 500K on up to millions of dollars to their heirs. or while living have enough money to max out a yearly tax free contribution (the current limit is $16k each parent can gift to as many people as they wish) to their heirs for 20 straight years. if you all the sudden inherit 250 and can sock it away or get a $16k check each you can put into a retirement account and you know you will retire with millions and never have to contribute a dime to that account yourself + possibly inherit another big lump sum upon death, game changed!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
someone up top hit the nail on the head regarding how a lot of folk can afford to live such wonderful lifestyles.... generational wealth is a real thing and its a life changer when handled correctly. you would be utterly surprised to realize the number of people who die and leave 500K on up to millions of dollars to their heirs. or while living have enough money to max out a yearly tax free contribution (the current limit is $16k each parent can gift to as many people as they wish) to their heirs for 20 straight years. if you all the sudden inherit 250 and can sock it away or get a $16k check each you can put into a retirement account and you know you will retire with millions and never have to contribute a dime to that account yourself + possibly inherit another big lump sum upon death, game changed!
you can gift more than 16k without paying a dime in tax providing you dont go over the 12mil limit. Inheritances and oil thats always a factor and it will keep the cash buying going; thats that special order rapter vs 22 Xlt that still sits on the lot . Not enough of those cash boys exist to keep the economy rolling imo. Look at the demographics of a boat dealer. The boat has grown in price outside the demo look it up.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
or while living have enough money to max out a yearly tax free contribution (the current limit is $16k each parent can gift to as many people as they wish) to their heirs for 20 straight years. if you all the sudden inherit 250 and can sock it away or get a $16k check each you can put into a retirement account and you know you will retire with
I believe the $16k limit is an amount that can be gifted in a year without any reporting - NOT the amount not subject to a gift tax. The actual limit (lifetime) for tax free gifting is in the million(s).

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wouldn’t it be great to put on a pair of glasses that exposed everyone’s financial situation? Haha.

I’ve seen so many different scenarios on how people have their money that it’s impossible to really know.

Worry about yourself and be a shark in the water when opportunity presents itself. The rest will work itself out.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wouldn’t it be great to put on a pair of glasses that exposed everyone’s financial situation? Haha.

I’ve seen so many different scenarios on how people have their money that it’s impossible to really know.

Worry about yourself and be a shark in the water when opportunity presents itself. The rest will work itself out.
What so we can just bend over and bailout another bank and give Mark Cuban his money. Program after Program it never ends ---- FK that Lets gets some laws hang em high and bring back resposibility. I am sick of paying for everyone elses bullshit.

PS i was a good shark after 2008. Cant wait to do it all over again.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes, they are jealous of me. All paid for.

There was a time the wives and mine income did not last till the end of the month. But now at 76 all paid for, just took a while, enjoying the life and could give a rat ass about a recession or my bank going broke. Watch Gunsmoke again and again as that brings happiness.
We lived in the good old days and most memories are fine.

But damn it, doc said i have an issue today, wife has had an issue and some issues the kids have had.

But we are the guy and gal who live on the other side of the street. And why? Because we are both living for today and a hope for tomorrow. It is all good. Been through that broke time.
Most get through it by getting old
One day the kids will take the key to the 97 Dodge and 77 Olds from me. But i will still have my 50cc Honda. and i do own a juke box from the fifties. Nickels will play a song. Show me them.

db-2

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure what this 2008-year issue was as we lived and work during that year and that year for us was like every other year.
Did we miss something important? db

Last edited:

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The same people that have nothing saved for retirement, 6 months of living expenses or $1,000 emergency fund. The minute there's a ripple in their income stream they are toast.

You’ll be surprised. Those that can afford to purchase or make those type of payments are in better shape than you think.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A lot of those 500.000 houses have old bed sheets for curtains. Thats how I tell when driving by. LB

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Patiently waiting for the boat bubble to pop. Sold my rig last year. Prices are wack, and I'm sure interest rates are too by now. There was a warrior 238 at the boat show in Minot priced at $172k. Only thing missing was a clown suit for the salesman. I'd hate to be in sales right now whether it's cars or boats or.....Watch the lots fill up with inventory now. Stupid time to be buying.
$172,000??? Wow!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84