Tractors

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hasn't been that cold, haven't had that much snow, but the heat and stereo made it tolerable. TYM used to be Branson. The tractor, snow blower and snow pusher were $44,000.
TRACTOR1.jpg
Have some friends that have the Branson model did not know they got bought out. Price looks like they went up they use to be about 15k cheaper than big name brand. They were very happy and don't really get used to much.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have weed badger built by guy cant remember fits my small JD utility tractor works slick now that I can't till trees anymore just to much of a jungle and hard on body of tractor and we too.

Oh wow , Would you be willing to take a picture sometime and share it with me ? I'd like to see how he went about building it.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh wow , Would you be willing to take a picture sometime and share it with me ? I'd like to see how he went about building it.
Sure can let me find his name and maybe he has alot of pictures online too he did 30 years ago. Very simple design when look at it and works so nice and fast.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

Thanks, those look awesome but I'm thinking a smaller unit that I can mount on a zero turn mower. I already have the mower , mower clutch is shot and last I checked a new one was a grand . Diesel with hydro foot pedal with lots of power so I'm hoping I can make something work . I don't expect a lot out of it , I use a pull type cultivator but can only get so close . might be handy in the garden too . I saved parts and pieces over the years for these "dream projects" and now I have time .

Tinesdown

Id have to think the best a company makes as far as equipment these days has to be good enough for u to use around any farm! Come on thats what there made for they are not cheap but they are made to be worked
What im saying is no one puts put a shit product all equipment is good? Otherwise they wouldnt be selling heavy machinery

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id have to think the best a company makes as far as equipment these days has to be good enough for u to use around any farm! Come on thats what there made for they are not cheap but they are made to be worked
What im saying is no one puts put a shit product all equipment is good? Otherwise they wouldnt be selling heavy machinery

There's something to be said about that. I don't know anyone who owns a Branson or Mahindra, but at their price-point, I can't imagine there aren't a lot more around than I once thought. I drive green (JD), and have for pretty much my entire life. Started with a B and 70, moved on up to an 830, but also put a lot of hours on an early 70s JD 7025. Then moved into the late 70s and 80s with a 4430, 4630 with my latest being a 2006 JD 4120. Yeah, there have been a Case or two along the way, but JD ruled where I was raised.

On the Kioti/Bobcat line...I came close to buying a Bobcat painted tractor back around 2015. They are Kioti tractors painted white. Around then Kioti was having a bit of a tiff with Bobcat, so it was a HUGE concern when it came to finding even a damn oil filter, so I passed on the tractor and went with the JD 4120. It's a nice tractor for its size. I had the opportunity to spend a couple weeks in a similar level, but newer Kubota a couple years ago. The Kubota was nice, but its fit and finish leaved a lot to be desired on the cab. The sound-proofing foam constantly worked out of the trim, but initial thoughts were again positive. Note, the Kubota AC was very appreciated compared to my non-cabbed JD.

ice head

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's something to be said about that. I don't know anyone who owns a Branson or Mahindra, but at their price-point, I can't imagine there aren't a lot more around than I once thought. I drive green (JD), and have for pretty much my entire life. Started with a B and 70, moved on up to an 830, but also put a lot of hours on an early 70s JD 7025. Then moved into the late 70s and 80s with a 4430, 4630 with my latest being a 2006 JD 4120. Yeah, there have been a Case or two along the way, but JD ruled where I was raised.

On the Kioti/Bobcat line...I came close to buying a Bobcat painted tractor back around 2015. They are Kioti tractors painted white. Around then Kioti was having a bit of a tiff with Bobcat, so it was a HUGE concern when it came to finding even a damn oil filter, so I passed on the tractor and went with the JD 4120. It's a nice tractor for its size. I had the opportunity to spend a couple weeks in a similar level, but newer Kubota a couple years ago. The Kubota was nice, but its fit and finish leaved a lot to be desired on the cab. The sound-proofing foam constantly worked out of the trim, but initial thoughts were again positive. Note, the Kubota AC was very appreciated compared to my non-cabbed JD.
I've owned a Kioti rx7320 with cab for three years now, been very pleased with it.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
It all boils down to your needs and wants and if you are mechanically inclined. New is nice and expensive but old is cheap and they both do the same job. All new stuff is a pain in the ass to work on but almost all old school stuff is easy and parts are cheap. If I had to start from scratch for a hobby farm with future plans to build I'd probably start with an old school small tractor with 3 point hitch and a mower that would fit my garden and mowing needs and then shop for a heavy duty backhoe loader for moving snow and trenching/digging what ever you need in the future. I have a 94 JD 510 4x4 backhoe that works great for moving snow and the heater will roast you out on the coldest day. If we get a heavy snow I chain a 30' utility pole to the front bucket and in a couple passes I can wing out the driveway just as good as a road grader . I haven't found snow too deep I couldn't push through it and the hoe is handy to have around. It's a pure animal. For tillage my main tractor is a super C farmall with 3 point cultivator and row crop rotor tiller. plus a few more A and B farmalls for mowing and some row crop stuff In all , I have less than $ 18,000 tied up in everything, plus enough extra parts to last a lifetime. I like to tinker and I have the time so that's what works for me. Theres no such thing as a tractor that will do everything so sometimes more than one makes sense . One of my summer projects is to build a weed badger .
ID like to see some pictures of your tractors and your tilling equipment in action! Ive been looking at used also but just havent found something close to what I want thats not 20 hour drive away and still pretty damn expensive. Also the bobcat 72 months 0% interest is tempting.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
ID like to see some pictures of your tractors and your tilling equipment in action! Ive been looking at used also but just havent found something close to what I want thats not 20 hour drive away and still pretty damn expensive. Also the bobcat 72 months 0% interest is tempting.
I keep saying I should take more pictures and videos but I never do, I'll try to get some this spring. You would be amazed with the simplicity of the older equipment VS new equipment, there isn't much to go wrong with an 80 year old tractor thats been used and maintained compared to what can go wrong with a modern tractor. For you, new might be the way to go if you plan to make a business out of this so you can depreciate out the equipment and make use of the tax deductions. Plus, the new stuff is available now and at your fingertips.
It's taken a few years to round my equipment up but most of it came from farm auction sales and Iv'e saw some equipment go pretty darn cheap.

My youngest boy was/is in your shoes. He bought some property and the owner had a newer compact JD with a cab and loader, 3 point hitch ,air con and heat and came with a snow blower (no mower) that was offered as a package deal . I suggested pass on the deal and buy a backhoe loader instead since he has plans for trenching and tree removal but In the end he decided to buy the JD.
He had only had it for a couple months and a big wind storm took a tree part way down and it was leaning against another tree but might have fallen on his shop so he decided to pull it down. I wasn't there so not sure what happened but he chained it to the loader and pulled backwards and snapped the housing between engine and rear differential. I was going to help him out but one look and I knew that project was way over my head . He found a used housing for $ 1200 and hired someone to fix it , I haven't had the heart to ask him how much it cost him.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure can let me find his name and maybe he has alot of pictures online too he did 30 years ago. Very simple design when look at it and works so nice and fast.
Did you happen to run across any clues or the name of the small weed badger ? I've been looking online but haven't ran across any. Thanks.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As far as I know, the original Weed Badger is still being made West of Marion N.D. I don't remember the name of the business.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The company shut down 5-6 years ago and had a "going out of business auction in 2018, I don't see a website and they haven't answered any questions on the face book page since 2012. They might have reopened or maybe started some other operation. Anyway, I plan to build a scaled down contraption. I have an older Diesel hydrostatic mower with tons of power and it gets around good with rear wheel steering . I'm thinking an orbit motor on retractable frame but would like to see how others are adjustable for angle, probably have to be able to adjust that on the go to keep it from bouncing ? I think what I have in mind will work pretty slick for what I want it to do .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84