Bites of the Past

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For me, bullheads on the Sheyenne River south of Devils Lake in the 1950s. Have not fish since.

Still have my aluminum fishing pole from back then with the same string on it and one day will return to that dam if i can find it again. db

Last edited:

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Know of a lake that was phenomenal for walleyes.
Years ago, my ex and I went fishing on July 1st. Caught 21 eyes with 12 over 27".
1 was 31.25, one was 31.50.
Called my brother (minot) to get his ass over here.
He and our stepfather went out on July 4th. Caught 14 over 27" that day.
Was in the 90's both days and dead calm. Super clear MN lake.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Know of a lake that was phenomenal for walleyes.
Years ago, my ex and I went fishing on July 1st. Caught 21 eyes with 12 over 27".
1 was 31.25, one was 31.50.
Called my brother (minot) to get his ass over here.
He and our stepfather went out on July 4th. Caught 14 over 27" that day.
Was in the 90's both days and dead calm. Super clear MN lake.
Lake Whyshunew I heard about that lake epic stories 😎

NodakBob

Honored Member
Largemouth bass fishing at Van Oostings Dam (west of Hensler) and Sweetbriar Lake in the 1970's through early 1980's.

In 2011 while the Missouri flood waters were receding in the fall, the shore fishing on the river was on fire...we had a spot where 4 or 5 of us would all watch while one guy casted raps to catch a limit of walleyes in 10 casts or less (including the pesky northerns) and then the next guy would stand up and fish...

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Below the Darling dam from 2000 to '04. C/R at least a hundred walleye in the 6-8lb range with Old Reliable. A pard & I were asked twice if we were "professional fisherman" in those days.

My boy caught a 27.5in/7.75lb on his Dale Jr. Zebco rig spooled with 6/20 PowerPro, rigged for pike with a leader and a "Vampire" Rapala.

The following happened on an August evening when the water was low as hell: I was about to get in the water to scoop this SOB when a Good Samaritan ran up to us with a net: The boy did it all himself except the net job. I was very pleased with myself to have taught this little guy how to fight a fish in the backyard with a casting thingy: (I'm actually grateful he didn't have the bluegill opportunity of the Hills--the boy went on to catch a lot of big fish before he reached 10: A lot--many different species. At 8 he was throwing a baitcaster). I'll never forget how his little arms turned to rubber after the Good Samaritan netted the fish. We left immediately after the fish was landed. It was beautifully mounted by Frenchy in Minot who knew immediately where the fish was caught by it's color. I thought about lying to G&F about the dimensions for a patch but glad I didn't as the boy (and girl!) got C/R Smallmouth Patches from Audubon. I hope the boy still has it on his wall with the plug hanging from the mouth in Ga.

The above Good Samaritan took a couple pics with a flip phone. I hope beyond hope he's on here, remembers the day and has the pics.

During the above time period there was a mini-2011 flood. You needed waders to fish below the dam. During this stint we saw obscene stringers of walleye being hoisted over shoulders and carried back to trucks. I'm talking 30in fish. During this chaos I C/R my PB 12lb on a modified Beetle Spin working the current with a slow pump.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I CANNOT verify the accuracy of this anecdote: Another pard got a day off and went below the dam in early morning. He struck a conversation with the caretaker and was informed G&F use the area below the dam as natural broodstock for the rest of the state.

That is all.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
1673238602698.png

1673238666938.png

1673239397610.png

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The severe drought in the 2000's led to another insane bite. It took a couple years to figure out, but in the spring, right at Walker Bottoms on OAHE we figured it out. A buddy showed me how to shore fish the current/main channel there and we did ok. Then one day a boat started pulling cranks in the current right in front of us. Bang, bang, bang.....they started nailing them. They limited and left in under an hour. This was the end of April and I hadn't had my boat our yet. But Me and another buddy drove home and got my boat, now it didn't have a kicker, but with the strong current you didn't need a kicker. We just hammered the male walleyes for a few weeks that year and every year there after, until the waters rose again. There was so much sperm in that Glasstron I'd hate to see it under a black light.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
There have been so many good ones, it's hard to think of those that qualify as being unique enough to write about here.

1. Circa 1986 timeframe, Lake Sak had a fast rise in water levels going through June which flooded a ton of shoreline covered in sweet clover, especially in the Little Knife Bay area. Walleyes were right up in the sweet clover for all of June and a good part of July (until it started decaying). Buddies and I were using an old 16 ft boat with a 3.9 hp Mercury motor to catch easy limits of 3-10 lb eyes using leeches or minnows behind a willow tail spinner. On days when the wind wasn't right, we would zip across the lake to fish the cabin sites area and there would be times walleyes literally would wash up on shore in a two foot wave and then roll back into the surf. Good times!

2. Back when I first started fishing Alkaline Lake, the pike fishing was insane. I'd take my young son fishing there and we would just troll cranks for a few hours, catching 10 pike to every keepable walleye. It'd take a couple of hours of fishing to catch a limit of eyes, and we would end up donating a few cranks on each trip to the fishing gods as pike bit us off or just tore up the rapalas. That was until I discovered the Knot Too Kinky titanium wire for thwarting the pike, good stuff! I am not sure whatever happened to the pike in that lake but they have tamed down quite a bit over the years, but for a couple years it was nuts.

3. Last summer a buddy and I tried a little lake in central ND with good stocking reports. Yep, we found them. I think I went to that lake 5 times and each time it was a pretty easy limit of 18+ inch fish, with all but one time including a fish between 24 and 27 inches. On the last trip I was there, we caught near our limit in 45 minutes, then we placed a friendly wager on who would catch the first fish over 24 inches. We spent over two hours playing catch and release with 18-22 inch walleyes, pretty awesome way to spend a few hours, but we never did catch that one bigger fish that day.

4. Must have been around 2007-2009, I put in at the Rifle Range south of Bismarck on the Missouri. Just planned on going out for a few hours by myself. Ran into a college kid fishing at the ramp who wasn't having much luck as I dunked the boat, so I asked him if wanted to join me for a couple hours pulling cranks. Might have been the best fishing day of his life as we literally caught well over 100 walleyes up shallow next to an island a couple miles south of the ramp. Mostly they were 10-13 inch fish, but we ended up keeping 10 in the 15-16 inch range.

5. Pitching jigs on the downstream side of a sandbar near Heskitt one year I found a very small spot where the water fell off the sandbar and down into a 12-14 ft hole with lots of current. If you tossed a jig up on the bar and let the current carry it down into the eddy, you either caught a fish or missed it on every...single...cast. I went through a lot of minnows fishing that spot until the sandbar eroded enough to put the fun to an end.

Despite all these great trips and extended hot bites, I still find the time to occasionally go out and get skunked. Damnit!

Last edited:

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Remember the perch explosion on Alkaline Lake about ?30 years ago? Nuts for a few years.
We have a video somewhere of catching perch there and as you'd pull one through others would literally follow through the hole and onto the ice. It was pure insanity.

I remember white bass one after another as a kid on Oahe casting a twister tail and jig from the dock.

A couple very hot crappie bites on Oahe.

Not ND, but 4 years ago we were fishing out of Kodiak in late August and had coho swarming the boat. Our guide was an elderly man that had been guiding for 30+ years and was on his last trip. Only 3 of us clients on board so the guide and deck hand put their names in the book to keep limits (we got to catch them). We caught our 30 coho in a little over an hour. Averaged about 16lbs each. That old guide said it was the best coho bite and largest average fish he'd ever seen. My wife was about 8 months pregnant, and we had an extremely rare blue bird day. That was an all-time trip.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
There have been so many good ones, it's hard to think of those that qualify as being unique enough to write about here.

1. Circa 1986 timeframe, Lake Sak had a fast rise in water levels going through June which flooded a ton of shoreline covered in sweet clover, especially in the Little Knife Bay area. Walleyes were right up in the sweet clover for all of June and a good part of July (until it started decaying). Buddies and I were using an old 16 ft boat with a 3.9 hp Mercury motor to catch easy limits of 3-10 lb eyes using leeches or minnows behind a willow tail spinner. On days when the wind wasn't right, we would zip across the lake to fish the cabin sites area and there would be times walleyes literally would wash up on shore in a two foot wave and then roll back into the surf. Good times!
My dad talked about that all my life. He was in a tournament around that time. It was hot and nothing was biting. He happened to look in the sweet clover and noticed a small tick in the clover. He threw his jig in there and discovered the best walleye bite of his life. That was around the time of my birth in 86' where he had a trailer house on parshal bay.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
When the limit on OAHE was 14 (10 had to be under 15" or 16") we found a bite that winter that was INSANE. Three of limited in a very short time. As soon as your jig got close to the bottom you had one. It took longer to reel in, unhook, and rebait than it did to catch one. Every one of them was around 14 or 15 inches.
That was one of the first years i had a pontoon i had my kid and six of his friends out and i was baiting hooks, taking off fish or untangling lines all after noon. They were all 5 or 6 years old and they still talk about it now.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It was named the Walleye Capital of the world , I think I still have a belt buckle that says that. late 70s through mid 80s shell village and slides were the best walleye fishing I ever saw.
I still hear these stories from my dad and his friends. Back then multiple whoppers was the norm every weekend. I have seen lots of pictures of 10-13 pound walleyes from back then when you could use the big old sucker minnows.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56