class b state tourney

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
There has always been the "bigger" class B schools that have had their time in the spotlight over the years that the smaller schools have been the under dog playing and that has made Class B what it is.

The Genoras and the Eppings taking on the Hillsburos and the Carringtons.

The difference now here is in the parochial schools that people are paying to send their kids to are becoming the Goliath.

Quite a few people any more know parents whos kids attend these schools that don't give a rats ass about the Christian teachings portion of the curriculum and are more concerned on the sports side of it than the basis of the schools creation, there in is the base of the issue many have.

My kids go to parochial school so I pay, but it has not one damn thing to do with sports. Quality of education mostly, but quality of peers is also a factor. Sports is a distant third and may not even be third if I gave it more than the ten seconds of thought. I wish they recruited, my son has multiple track championships as an underclassman, but I doubt any high school recruiters are looking. He has a whole stack of letters from colleges.

Does anyone ever consider that the parents are the instigators and deciders in where and why the kids go to the school?

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago everyone knew, but couldn't prove, that they were recruiting. But all the apologist cried, and claimed they had to foot the bill for their kids, and no one ever approached them about jumping ship. So for years we've been putting up with it, even accepting it as this is the way it has to be. And now the schools have taken it a step further, and are using their church's missions to recruit players that are nearly first round nba prospects, but unfortunately there isn't a written rules covering this, so we are going to have to let it slide and continue to put up with this nonsense.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a good friend that spends his entire summer on the road for his 2 girls traveling fast pitch softball team. He sold his boat, cause it was just gathering dust sitting in the shop not getting used. He spends 8 weekends on the road in the summer specifically for his kids softball, not counting the 4 home weekends, and the nightly practice that he coaches.

Are you telling me that a person would not sacrifice their own entire life to a kid for sports, cause this guy sure does, and he is not the only one on a traveling team, as it involves hundreds of parents just like him. To think for one second a guy wouldn't put his kid into a class b school just for them to be able to play some bball at an easier level with more playing time is insane and blind.

I bet people would even work an extra job if needed to cover the expense of it all.

Guarantee it happens

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago everyone knew, but couldn't prove, that they were recruiting. But all the apologist cried, and claimed they had to foot the bill for their kids, and no one ever approached them about jumping ship. So for years we've been putting up with it, even accepting it as this is the way it has to be. And now the schools have taken it a step further, and are using their church's missions to recruit players that are nearly first round nba prospects, but unfortunately there isn't a written rules covering this, so we are going to have to let it slide and continue to put up with this nonsense.

IMG_0870.JPG

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Iffn your team doesn't make it to the superbowl do you not watch it?

cause I still do, and pick which team that happens to be playing that day as my favorite for the game. Its not my team specifically, but it is the team I am going for cause its the one I prefer over the other.

If I go out to eat and the waiter lets me know the dish I ordered is not available I order the next favorite one on the menu. I am not one to throw a fit and not eat, all wound up and pissed off cause I didn't get my way.

So why is it I hear all these clowns they interview on TV throwing a fit cause they don't like Hillary or Donald and are just going to stay home and throw a fit.

I learned this through a public education, had my parents loved me more and not let me choose to go to public school during my high school days maybe I would be less logical, and I too could throw fits when things didn't go exactly my way, and sit at home with an empty belly and a bunch of swollen pride.

This relates nothing to the class b discussion, but felt for some strange reason, I still needed to put it out there.

I hope the best team wins, not the team the recruited the best players..haha

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
My kids go to parochial school so I pay, but it has not one damn thing to do with sports. Quality of education mostly, but quality of peers is also a factor. Sports is a distant third and may not even be third if I gave it more than the ten seconds of thought. I wish they recruited, my son has multiple track championships as an underclassman, but I doubt any high school recruiters are looking. He has a whole stack of letters from colleges.

Does anyone ever consider that the parents are the instigators and deciders in where and why the kids go to the school?

I kind of thought that was the deal here.

Indeed there are parents who look at the quality of education in these schools and even the Christian base in deciding to pay a tuition.

But there are parents that pay that tuition to have their kid play sports as well. Most people know one or two.

Most time parents are the ones behind every sports issue with kids.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I kind of thought that was the deal here.

Indeed there are parents who look at the quality of education in these schools and even the Christian base in deciding to pay a tuition.

But there are parents that pay that tuition to have their kid play sports as well. Most people know one or two.

Most time parents are the ones behind every sports issue with kids.

You should ref little kids wrestling some day. Some parents need to enter themselves into treatment.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Iffn your team doesn't make it to the superbowl do you not watch it?

cause I still do, and pick which team that happens to be playing that day as my favorite for the game. Its not my team specifically, but it is the team I am going for cause its the one I prefer over the other.

If I go out to eat and the waiter lets me know the dish I ordered is not available I order the next favorite one on the menu. I am not one to throw a fit and not eat, all wound up and pissed off cause I didn't get my way.

So why is it I hear all these clowns they interview on TV throwing a fit cause they don't like Hillary or Donald and are just going to stay home and throw a fit.

I learned this through a public education, had my parents loved me more and not let me choose to go to public school during my high school days maybe I would be less logical, and I too could throw fits when things didn't go exactly my way, and sit at home with an empty belly and a bunch of swollen pride.

This relates nothing to the class b discussion, but felt for some strange reason, I still needed to put it out there.

I hope the best team wins, not the team the recruited the best players..haha

nHnvr.png

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You should ref little kids wrestling some day. Some parents need to enter themselves into treatment.

Oh I have a buddy that goes nuts when his kid is up to bat, or on the mat. I had to leave once it became so uncomfortable to even see. Claimed I was having an asthma attack...haha, I don't have asthma, but I had to remove myself, and that is what popped into my head.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

That is a fact my kid wrestled for a few years. I have been promoted to head coach for the basketball team this weekend. I watch kicking and screaming to remind my self who not to be. My wife tells me I am hyper competitive I don't see it I just like winning. If your not first your last I can't remeber the great philosopher that said that quote but it is awesome. Ha-ha

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There was good wrestler (Mitchell) from Rolla Bulldogs two decades ago, he would wear this shirt that said "second sucks" he had wrestled in the class B finals a wrestler from Walhalla (Benoit) after the ref raised Benoit hand for the win. Benoit says to Mitchell "second sucks" which the ref takes away one team point for unsportsmanlike conduct. It was worth it because he had dodged Benoit all year. Still makes me laugh when I picture that in my mind.

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only if the true class B schools had kids with great work ethics. Never mind that private schools don't recruit but each team playing right now has 3 to 4 players each that go 6'4" to 6"9. With that kind of breeding they probably have a few 7 footers walking around their halls that just went there for the private school education and atmosphere

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wouldn't ya know another private school with 3 guys that go 6'4" plus. It must just be in the tall kids genetics that they all want to go to private schools? ;:;rant

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every year this same bullshit comes at this time.... I grew up with and played ball with the coach of Our Redeemers.... From 5th grade on we played school ball and then when that was done it was time for the traveling season.... we played dozens of tournaments from 5th grade all the way through our senior year. I started 3 years on the varsity team along side Mr. Feller. Let me tell you what, when it comes to work ethic, there is none better than his. I still keep in touch with Jeremy and I know for a fact that those boys that he coaches and their parents put in countless hours going to camps, traveling tournaments, open gyms etc....

For all you crybaby bitches crying about needing a three class system let me ask you this? Are you willing to put in the time and effort like the parents and coaches for Our Redeemers does? Are you willing to drive all over the state every weekend throughout the summer so that your kids and their teammates can better themselves as a team? If not then sit down and shut up... If so then step up and coach a traveling team for your children and see where it gets you....

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't ya know another private school with 3 guys that go 6'4" plus. It must just be in the tall kids genetics that they all want to go to private schools? ;:;rant

So does this mean that when I went to school in Surrey and we had 5 guys that were 6'4 or taller on our team that we recruited too? I mean hell if they recruited us it was when we were all in preschool....

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Call of the night: He passes up court to Threeirons.........it's one against four........that's not gonna stop him.......HE SCORES!!! good stuff right there ;:;bowdown

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the down side to going to a three tier system such as the one being proposed to the NDHSAA now?

Some teams may have to travel further and refs may be a bit harder to come across. But keeping the B the jewel it was might just be worth it. (after all, those good parochial schools can just raise the tuition on the families of the kids that are actually going there for a religion based education to cover their travel expense);)

Maybe there should be a four-tier system so that parochial schools play only each other, and where Grafton would never see Strasburg-Zeeland in a tournament. Yeah, that will be the answer we can live with for just another 12mo.... Then the whining begins all over again! (Sarcasm based on the responses I've read so far)

Maybe the NDHSAA should lower the student population limit from 275 to 200 and become Class C; and from 200-300 become Class B; and 300+ become class A. What will it solve? In the end, it's just the luck of the draw with which kids grow up and play together for 10yrs, some lucky whistles by refs (in all reality), less genetic ability the next town over, etc. Maybe it's the coaches inspiring the kids. When you break it all down there are SOOOO many factors that go into making the tournaments past the district level anyway!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 255
  • This month: 216
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71