class b state tourney

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
5 kids all around 6' that have played together their entire lives and have great chemistry on and off the court are much more dangerous than 5 kids pieced together because they're supposed to be good.

Bismarck Shiloh Christian 45 Grafton 36
Minot Our Redeemer's 61 Strasburg-Zeeland 58
Dickinson Trinity 61 Kenmare 42

Maybe not.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bismarck Shiloh Christian 45 Grafton 36
Minot Our Redeemer's 61 Strasburg-Zeeland 58
Dickinson Trinity 61 Kenmare 42

Maybe not.

This year...What about next year. It's only a problem when they're in the mix. 45-36 sounds like a good nap session.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I was told by a real super smart lady that if you don't attend or didn't attend a parochial school you are basically a retard, substandard human even.

So I am only half a retard as I spent my 1-8 grade years at a Catholic school, and in my half retard brain, I can see where a town of 75,000 can likely convince some good players to attend a private school and play some class B ball, and a little hick town of 200 probably cannot get some kid to drive from the big town 50 miles away to play some ball.

You don't have to like it, but you sure can see where it could happen, and likely does happen.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I was told by a real super smart lady that if you don't attend or didn't attend a parochial school you are basically a retard, substandard human even.

So I am only half a retard as I spent my 1-8 grade years at a Catholic school, and in my half retard brain, I can see where a town of 75,000 can likely convince some good players to attend a private school and play some class B ball, and a little hick town of 200 probably cannot get some kid to drive from the big town 50 miles away to play some ball.

You don't have to like it, but you sure can see where it could happen, and likely does happen.

I don't disagree with you juan. I even like the three class system. I just lose my patience for all the adults whining that it isn't fair.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
There has always been the "bigger" class B schools that have had their time in the spotlight over the years that the smaller schools have been the under dog playing and that has made Class B what it is.

The Genoras and the Eppings taking on the Hillsburos and the Carringtons.

The difference now here is in the parochial schools that people are paying to send their kids to are becoming the Goliath.

Quite a few people any more know parents whos kids attend these schools that don't give a rats ass about the Christian teachings portion of the curriculum and are more concerned on the sports side of it than the basis of the schools creation, there in is the base of the issue many have.

Last edited:

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't disagree with you juan. I even like the three class system. I just lose my patience for all the adults whining that it isn't fair.

What else would the basis of a three class system be? I would guess "fairness" was kind of the basis behind the two class system we have now.

Don;t mistake people suggesting maybe given demographics it is time to make a change for whining.

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think work ethic or practice is an issue. It has to do with talent. If u are more talented and just bigger and more physical you have an advantage.

There are a lot more kids with talent in Bismarck than Zeeland. The bigger the population is the more talent there is.

Population is the reason there is no nba players from north Dakota. Oh and the fact we r mostly white. Haha

We had a lot of talent on our team this year and got outworked and out coached, trust me work ethic and practice make a difference

- - - Updated - - -

get rid of all these dam co-ops and then maybe a 3 tier system would work but class B has been watered down with co-ops anyway, co-ops work for football but all other sports should be on your own

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had a lot of talent on our team this year and got outworked and out coached, trust me work ethic and practice make a difference

- - - Updated - - -

get rid of all these dam co-ops and then maybe a 3 tier system would work but class B has been watered down with co-ops anyway, co-ops work for football but all other sports should be on your own

So Zeeland with their 17 kids or Halliday with their 7 should field their own basketball teams?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say four winds has a tough time recruiting.[/QUOT

Natives have been know to be a bit nomadic. Having said that i'm still rooting for them because they are the only class B of the lot.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

That's is a fact coming from a bigger school and now living in a small town these kids have no idea. When there are not cuts and you know your in the team it breeds laziness. If you want to win practice play more and practice more. I had to try out against 200 kids for a varsity spot it was a year round dedication if you wanted to have a shot. Looking back I was not dedicated enough wish I would have known then what I know now.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member

You have it backwards johnr, the only way a kid goes to a private religious school in a bigger city is if their parents make them, or if they are not good enough to play for the larger class A school and want playing time. I have never seen a stud basketball player in the public system in Bismarck transfer to St Marys for basketball. Never. Maybe it happened back in the stone age, I don't know, but it certainly hasn't happened in at least the last 20 years. And I can name a bunch of kids that were at St Marys that ended up at BHS for football, soccer, basketball.... in both boys and girls sports, all in the name of WINNING.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
What else would the basis of a three class system be? I would guess "fairness" was kind of the basis behind the two class system we have now.

Don;t mistake people suggesting maybe given demographics it is time to make a change for whining.

I'm looking more at enrollment. The schools that are well below the cap space on kids are the true class b schools. The schools that cap their enrollment to fit into the class b criteria are not in the same league. I'd consider it a discussion if it didn't only occur around state tournament time. It's at that point that everyone has a problem with it all of a sudden.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe the recruiting is with the PARENTS...ie..come to XYZ big city... we will offer you a nice job...and your stud of a ball player can enroll and be a star as well in a local faith based school.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe the recruiting is with the PARENTS...ie..come to XYZ big city... we will offer you a nice job...and your stud of a ball player can enroll and be a star as well in a local faith based school.

From what I remember Shiloh had a student from New Town 2yrs ago living in Bismarck and attend Shiloh because he was a 'good' ball player and would get more attention and scouting for college teams. Either way, I find that sort of recruitment as an ethical dilemma. Did the school do it FOR the student, or for themselves?

;:;rant

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda interesting info from ND preps/NDHSAA website...

From NDHSAA website. 9-12 enrollment. Some numbers are adjusted for 7-12 entry.

Data From NDHSAA Website
High School Enrollment (9-12) Adjusted (X)

Bishop Ryan High School 118
Bismarck Century High School 1339 x
Bismarck High School 1318 x
Bismarck Legacy High School 807
Bismarck St. Mary’s 310
Devils Lake High School 457
Dickinson High School 881
Dickinson Trinity High School 165
Fargo Davies High School 1204
Fargo North High School 960
Fargo South High School 1084
Grand Forks Central 949
Grand Forks Red River 1177
Hope Christian Academy High School 13
Jamestown High School 649
Mandan High School 1024
Minot High School 2051
Oak Grove 160 x
Our Redeemer’s High School 46 x
Shanley High School 321 x
Shiloh Christian HS 120
West Fargo High School 1320
West Fargo Sheyenne High School 1008
Williston High School 1017
Williston Trinity Christian High School 33 x

Class B schools, but some of the definitions I've read on this thread are now paired with the Class A schools in which these 'voices' say should be everyone listed above. Now, tell me how Bishop Ryan can compete against Minot High, Williston, Bismarck Century?????

Explain it REALLY REALLY good so I can fathom how 30 seniors at BRHS can consistently relate to the prowess of 515 MHS seniors across town? I graduated from Bishop Ryan and can tell you all, ZERO of those at Minot High came over (we were still Class A, in the North Star Conference, at the time) in their sophmore, junior, or senior years. Would they get more 'ball' time? Maybe, maybe not.

However, back then we still fielded a team and played against the Minot boys. We lost every game, every year, by 10pts - 22pts. The same in football, tennis, wrestling, golf, etc. Couldn't muster more than a couple wins eeked out by perseverance and luck. SO, in reality, isn't that the same thing as Strasburg-Zeeland going up against Beulah???? I mean, come on! You can spin this all in circles and come up with 500 ways to fancy your taste.

The NDHSAA says any h.s. student body >275 plays in Class A. What number should it be? Well, why don't you become a voting member of the NDHSAA and change it, cuz I can't. However, I do have to live with what they prescribe. Remember when Wildrose/Epping won a state B championship with just SIX players????? You don't need school size..... you just need some heart.

Good luck to Four Winds, Our Redeemers, Shiloh, and Dix Trinity today. PERIOD.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Devil Lake Journal

Growing up, Four Winds-Minnewaukan is the team every kid dreams of playing for. Basketball consumes the community.
“It’s pretty much the only thing to do around here,” senior guard Jason Feather said. “Everyone grows up playing basketball. Everyone wants to play for this team because it’s a good program and we’re usually a winning team. Everyone wants to win.”
The popularity of the team leads to tough decisions for Smith’s coaching staff. At the beginning of this season, the Indians had to form a 30-man roster from 52 players trying out.
“When it’s something successful, you want to be a part of that,” Smith said. “Unfortunately, some kids can’t. You just can’t play that many kids. Class A schools don’t do that. It’s not easy to tell a kid they can’t play basketball, but it’s something we have to do. It’s our third year of doing that. It doesn’t get easier and easier, but we’re getting used to that now and the kids realize they have to try out to make this team

http://www.devilslakejournal.com/article/20160315/NEWS/160319494

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I remember Shiloh had a student from New Town 2yrs ago living in Bismarck and attend Shiloh because he was a 'good' ball player and would get more attention and scouting for college teams. Either way, I find that sort of recruitment as an ethical dilemma. Did the school do it FOR the student, or for themselves?

- - - Updated - - -

Class B schools, but some of the definitions I've read on this thread are now paired with the Class A schools in which these 'voices' say should be everyone listed above. Now, tell me how Bishop Ryan can compete against Minot High, Williston, Bismarck Century?????

Explain it REALLY REALLY good so I can fathom how 30 seniors at BRHS can consistently relate to the prowess of 515 MHS seniors across town? I graduated from Bishop Ryan and can tell you all, ZERO of those at Minot High came over (we were still Class A, in the North Star Conference, at the time) in their sophmore, junior, or senior years. Would they get more 'ball' time? Maybe, maybe not.

However, back then we still fielded a team and played against the Minot boys. We lost every game, every year, by 10pts - 22pts. The same in football, tennis, wrestling, golf, etc. Couldn't muster more than a couple wins eeked out by perseverance and luck. SO, in reality, isn't that the same thing as Strasburg-Zeeland going up against Beulah???? I mean, come on! You can spin this all in circles and come up with 500 ways to fancy your taste.

The NDHSAA says any h.s. student body >275 plays in Class A. What number should it be? Well, why don't you become a voting member of the NDHSAA and change it, cuz I can't. However, I do have to live with what they prescribe. Remember when Wildrose/Epping won a state B championship with just SIX players????? You don't need school size..... you just need some heart.

I do believe that was the exact same response to this topic last spring on FBO or close to it but well said anyways

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

So according to some on here, you simply didn;t practice enough or have enough commitment or as you state enough "heart".

What is the down side to going to a three tier system such as the one being proposed to the NDHSAA now?

Some teams may have to travel further and refs may be a bit harder to come across. But keeping the B the jewel it was might just be worth it. (after all, those good parochial schools can just raise the tuition on the families of the kids that are actually going there for a religion based education to cover their travel expense);)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 65
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 22