diet psa...

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two diets that I have used with good results are the potato diet and the fasting diet. Recently did the fasting diet and lost 20 lbs. Basically I ate what I normally ate during the day. Didn't pay much attention to calories, etc. However after dinner at night I would make sure that I didn't consume any calories for at least 12 to 14 hours and then made sure I got good sleep. There is a science behind this related to insulin. Basically your body needs to rest from digesting foods and by getting good sleep, you don't have those stupid cravings at night. It's an easy diet to follow.

The potato diet will help you shed pounds pretty fast. Bake or boil all of the potatoes you need for the week and let them cool. Then for breakfast and lunch eat as many of those potatoes as you want until you are full. Don't put on sour cream, etc. Those toppings add calories and make you crave more food. For dinner, eat what you want. The cooling of the potatoes is important because of how the starches convert to fiber. Anyway you should be able to lose .5 to 1 lb a day with this. The down side is that it isn't a diet you will stick with because, well, eating plain potatoes isn't very appetizing. But you will lose weight.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two diets that I have used with good results are the potato diet and the fasting diet. Recently did the fasting diet and lost 20 lbs. Basically I ate what I normally ate during the day. Didn't pay much attention to calories, etc. However after dinner at night I would make sure that I didn't consume any calories for at least 12 to 14 hours and then made sure I got good sleep. There is a science behind this related to insulin. Basically your body needs to rest from digesting foods and by getting good sleep, you don't have those stupid cravings at night. It's an easy diet to follow.

The potato diet will help you shed pounds pretty fast. Bake or boil all of the potatoes you need for the week and let them cool. Then for breakfast and lunch eat as many of those potatoes as you want until you are full. Don't put on sour cream, etc. Those toppings add calories and make you crave more food. For dinner, eat what you want. The cooling of the potatoes is important because of how the starches convert to fiber. Anyway you should be able to lose .5 to 1 lb a day with this. The down side is that it isn't a diet you will stick with because, well, eating plain potatoes isn't very appetizing. But you will lose weight.

If you want to maintain muscle mass, you better be eating a big ol slab of protein for dinner. Potatoes have about 4g each. Which is fine if you are what you eat (a potato) and don’t need any muscle.

More muscle equals higher resting metabolic rate, which equals easier weight loss. I don’t mean to sound like a dink, but all these gimmick diets are hard to read about. Mono diets, crash diets, etc. The keto diet is a full blown lifestyle change, and does work, but like others have said it’s no fun if you’re at all active

Last edited:

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're probably right about the potato diet. It's not not something you will want to do forever. It's just a way to lose the weight quickly. I've tried it and it works.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive been doing keto (not STRICT keto, but low carb) for a couple months now. Down 25lbs and havent changed anything besides that. Nice not getting HUNGRY anymore. I swear most people are ADDICTED to carbs, once you body breaks the addiction its not too hard. Miss sweets mostly, icecream, rhubarb pie, etc. I still eat fruits occasionally, but very little processed sugar and no starchy carbs. I dont have a problem eating a normal sized plate of food anymore and have no desire for 2nds, which used to be normal for me. No major hunger pains before meals, actually find it easier to skip meals now, sometimes get busy doing something and notice its 2 hours past the time I would normally eat, didnt happen when I was still addicted to carbs! Also much easier to not have a bedtime/midnight snack now, just dont need it!

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does anyone just pick up a damn weight or move their body anymore? Seems like the most logical way to look, feel, and be better without necessarily killing yourself with a potato, starving, or no carb diet. Or has that been debunked now? I freaking love pasta and im only on this globe for so long. Im gonna eat alfredo sauce. Just stay active.

Edit - gardening, mowing lawn, etc does not count as being active. Those are just things we have to do as adults. (i heard this just the other day at work when the person at the front desk was complaining about not losing weight even though they have been very active gardening and landscaping)

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i hear ya on the carb addiction. i was at a wedding out of town all weekend long friday through sunday and chose to just eat whatever was in front of me and drink bud heavies and fancy craft beers. i swear i had a carb hangover of sorts from it. extremely bloated and lethargic after every meal.

- - - Updated - - -

regarding the above. i've said it before in these types of threads... its a helluva lot easier to not eat 500 calories than it is to work off 500 calories. any idea how much time/exercise goes into burning off a big mac or a plate of alfredo? too much for this guy. barely have time for work, honey do list and kids, yet alone two hours 3x/week to work out. not saying the work out has to be a total of 2 hours. but, if you count the time going to and from the gym, showering, changing clothes, etc... its pretty safe to say that 2 hours is a good estimate of the total time spent each time you workout.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i hear ya on the carb addiction. i was at a wedding out of town all weekend long friday through sunday and chose to just eat whatever was in front of me and drink bud heavies and fancy craft beers. i swear i had a carb hangover of sorts from it. extremely bloated and lethargic after every meal.

- - - Updated - - -

regarding the above. i've said it before in these types of threads... its a helluva lot easier to not eat 500 calories than it is to work off 500 calories. any idea how much time/exercise goes into burning off a big mac or a plate of alfredo? too much for this guy. barely have time for work, honey do list and kids, yet alone two hours 3x/week to work out. not saying the work out has to be a total of 2 hours. but, if you count the time going to and from the gym, showering, changing clothes, etc... its pretty safe to say that 2 hours is a good estimate of the total time spent each time you workout.

face palm. you're telling me you cant dedicate one hour a day to yourself but you can meal plan or starve yourself. Ok then. Its not rocket surgery folks. Just move your body and dont eat like an asshole every day of the week. The diet fads are here because "dietitians" make money selling them

- - - Updated - - -

Prove me wrong

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my experience of being a chubby kid transitioning to a fit adult, I have found that (shocker) both diet and exercise are important, but if your purpose is purely weight loss, diet far outweighs the two. You can exercise to exhaustion daily and not lose any weight if you keep eating "like an asshole".

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
if it matters, i almost never meal plan. i just buy different shit at the grocery store and then cook it when its time to eat. and i think plenty of others have indicated it isn't starving. its just eating different/healthier stuff. i think a few others have indicated the same. simple carbs aren't exactly healthy for you anyway. so, i would respond that eating healthier isn't "exactly rocket science either".

- - - Updated - - -

and i totally agree that exercise is good for you and can be part of your equation. just wasn't/isn't part of mine at this point in life.

also, no dietitian made a dime off of me. i actually discovered this by myself before i ever knew what "keto" or ketogenisis was. it started with calorie counting and a quick realization that most of the "empty" calories came from carbs. so, i cut em and the weight just fell off. it wasn't til week 10 of 12 in our "competition" that a friend who is a Physical therapist and a bit of a fitness nut explained why i was kicking everyone's ass.

Last edited:

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In my experience of being a chubby kid transitioning to a fit adult, I have found that (shocker) both diet and exercise are important, but if your purpose is purely weight loss, diet far outweighs the two. You can exercise to exhaustion daily and not lose any weight if you keep eating "like an asshole".

i feel like an asshole when i eat like crap for a day or two so thats why i said that. People in general need to be less concerned about weight in general and just be healthy and happy and being active helps, and also makes the activities we like to do on this site easier and more enjoyable.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Neighborhood stroll or bike ride instead of evening tv. No gym, no showering, and you can consider it family time. Granted, I get paid to hike through some pretty rugged terrain and therefore maintain adequate fitness through my job, so maybe my argument doesn’t count.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want to maintain muscle mass, you better be eating a big ol slab of protein for dinner. Potatoes have about 4g each. Which is fine if you are what you eat (a potato) and don’t need any muscle.

More muscle equals higher resting metabolic rate, which equals easier weight loss. I don’t mean to sound like a dink, but all these gimmick diets are hard to read about. Mono diets, crash diets, etc. The keto diet is a full blown lifestyle change, and does work, but like others have said it’s no fun if you’re at all active

This is exactly it. Eat good food be active. It's pretty simple.

- - - Updated - - -

Working construction I can find a reason to not work out after a 14 hour day but when I come home and my 13 year old wants to lift and tells me no one cares about my excuse it gets me going.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Raider thats awesome! Id love to know more of what your doing and just some variety in food.

Just started keto its been the talk in our house hold for the last couple weeks. I wouldnt say I am following it exactly but am pretty close. Pretty simple no carbs no real sugar. Ive lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks. What I like about it is you can find solutions when your eating with your family or eating out. Basically if your having burgers no bun and choose a green veggie instead of fries. Or just eat a steak.

I HAVE NOT counted calories. I have used myfitnesspal, but found in the past Id forget to log or could find what I ate. When my weightloss slows down I might try to log my food again. I found after about the first 3 or 4 days that the craving for sugar kinda goes away as long as your drinking water and finding low or no carb alternatives to something sweet.

I am also glad you mentioned your low carb drink! I didnt know how I was going to handle Mcquades this weekend, but I think I got my drink now.

thanks norm...

for protein i eat everything i did b4 - beef, chicken, pork, fish - whatever i want whenever i eat... in the beginning i restricted it to 4 - 6 oz per meal... to spice it up i would make alfredo sauce to go over the protein i ate... there are keto alfredo sauce recipes all over... my wife is a picky meat eater so she eats a lot of cottage cheese instead of protein...

for veggies (carbs) i love salad, and stick mainly to that... i like most vegetables cold, but fewer cooked... i use ranch and a little french dressing on most salads with some parmesean cheese and sunflower seeds on top...

never was a huge fruit guy (natures candy), so cutting that was no problem for me...

like espringers said, eating out is no problem... almost any breakfast meal with protein and eggs (also protein) and skip the toast and spuds... for lunch - any salad with protein and you're good... at dinner i would order a steak with a veggie - no problem there...

i think my first line of this thread was "if you're skinny, disregard"... God bless the people who can eat whatever they want and never gain a pound, or can go do workouts like i used to be able to do - wish i was 1 of them... this was meant to help people who fight what i fight... as far as me, i was 100# overweight, have 2 bad discs in my back, am heading for back, knee and maybe hip surgery b4 i retire, and have been sleeping in a recliner for years - after a few drinks so i can go to sleep... it was not an option for me to hit the gym and work off the weight... if i lay down in bed or on the floor or a leg or bench press stand right now for more than 2 minutes it takes me 10 minutes to get up and another hour to straighten back up again... this diet just works for me at this stage of my life...

as far as ketosis goes, it is what i strive for then i carb up and slip out... i feel stronger, more alert, have no hunger, and don't get that tired feeling after i do eat... intermittent fasting is another thing i have also done - but i was never a breakfast guy, so i didn't really change anything there... my brother is on a fasting diet where he eats only 600? calories 1 or 2 days per week and normally all other days - it has worked great for him... for me, after feeling how i do in ketosis, that's where i want to stay...

i'll post another video that kind of explains the diet... it can be complicated, but it really doesn't have to be...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDcLkGYjgZs&t=421s

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive been doing the intermittent fasting thing also, its not tough, breakfast has always been optional for me anyway. Usually I go from dinner to lunch with nothing to eat in between. Occasionally I will have a high protein smoothy for breakfast with frozen fruit and yogurt added.

Last edited:

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been saying for years now breakfast is America's ticket to getting fat. It's their excuse to eat shitty food because "it's the most important meal of the day" .... maybe it is for some who do it right, but the majority are eating multiple bowls of cereal, donuts, and/or cookies everyday while washing it down with their coffee containing 50 grams of sugar and cream.

I prefer to just skip it all together except for my traditional Sunday morning bacon and eggs. I'll get off my soapbox now.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
man do I love a real breakfast - I could eat it every day

(bacon, eggs, toast)

but I eat yogurt/granola combo most days

maybe that’s why breakfast make me sad

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Raider thats awesome! Id love to know more of what your doing and just some variety in food.

Just started keto its been the talk in our house hold for the last couple weeks. I wouldnt say I am following it exactly but am pretty close. Pretty simple no carbs no real sugar. Ive lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks. What I like about it is you can find solutions when your eating with your family or eating out. Basically if your having burgers no bun and choose a green veggie instead of fries. Or just eat a steak.

I HAVE NOT counted calories. I have used myfitnesspal, but found in the past Id forget to log or could find what I ate. When my weightloss slows down I might try to log my food again. I found after about the first 3 or 4 days that the craving for sugar kinda goes away as long as your drinking water and finding low or no carb alternatives to something sweet.

I am also glad you mentioned your low carb drink! I didnt know how I was going to handle Mcquades this weekend, but I think I got my drink now.

Check out the Cron O Meter app, it lets you log like MyFitnessPal, but tracks net carbs in the macros instead of total carbs...a bit more useful for Keto

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
update - i hit my new goal this week - 100#...

i'm currently at 186# and feeling great...

i have noticed now that i do need to eat lunch to be able to get through my work day... the fat i have left almost seems ornery and doesn't want to leave... down to pretty much belly fat - we'll see if that stays or goes... i'm pretty happy with my progress at this point and just want to stay about where i am...

hope the previous posters on this thread have had success as well...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
L.I.S.S look it up if you want to get rid of that. Have you had your body fat percentage and blood ran lately that will also tell you a lot. Get your testosterone checked as that could be another factor it gets lower as we get older and makes it harder to get rid of that last little bit

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84