diet psa...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
so, here goes... if you're skinny, disregard...

i'm not posting this for any other reason than to try to help people who might be as desperate as i was... that's also why i'm posting it in general discussion for all to see...

i grew up being the fat kid... was overweight since grade school - its all i ever knew... early last year i had a customer in my office who had on baggy cloths - looked almost homeless, but otherwise well kept... he was feeling really good and was starting a new business and needed some equipment... his wife was a nutritionist and told him to try the keto diet... we discussed how well he was doing and how good he was feeling, and he left - haven't seen him since...

fast forward bout 3 months... my dr had doubled my blood pressure meds 6 months prior, and now tells me he wants me to start taking cholesterol medication... i'm 47 1/2, 5-08 and 288#, feel like shit and 30 years older than i was, on blood pressure meds, and now this...

i remembered the guy i had talked to bout this diet and started doing some research... i ended up finding dr berg and some shirtless guy who lives in equador, on you tube talking bout it... i watched vids and read everything i could find on it for a solid week - then took the plunge... i had a goal of being 225# when i turned 50 (nov of '18)... i started memorial day weekend last year and blew by my goal in 4 months... 3 months after i started my dr took me off the cholesterol pills and cut my blood pressure pills in half... i have seen him every 3 months since i started and we discussed the progress every visit... my goal is to be able to throw away the bp pills as well as maintain where i'm at now... i'm large framed and my dr says he doesn't want me to go under 190# even though i'd need to get to 160 to register as "normal weight" for my height...

for the past 6 weeks i've been staying between 190 and 195#... at some point i'd like to get to 188 so i could say i've lost 100#, but it just doesn't really matter to me at this point i guess... i've still got a little belly fat i'd like to lose at some point, but not the overhang i lived with for 4 decades... we'll see how it goes...

it is life changing to say the least... i feel better and am in better shape than i have ever been in... my back and knees feel better than they have in at least 20 years... i've gone from a 44 waist to a 32, and 3x shirts and jackets to medium or large... people i've known for years don't recognize me, or look concerned and ask me if i'm ok, thinking i'm dying... i have taken whole weeks off keto and gained 10# (mainly water weight it seems)... i jump back into it and will lose that weight again in a week... also, when i eat a bunch of carbs now i'm hungry and hung over thirsty with no energy 2 hours later - my body just doesn't like it, so now when i tell myself i'm going to eat whatever i want, i still find myself going mostly keto and mixing in a few extra carbs at a time... we just got back from my grand daughters graduation in oregon... we were gone for a week, and i was nervous to weigh when we got back... i'd gained 2#...

i can't say this will work for everyone, but it sure has for me... my wife saw my progress last year and started after labor day... she has lost bout 45# and has gone from wearing 10's and 12's for jeans to now wearing mostly 3's and 5's, with a couple 1's mixed in - she looks amazing and is smaller and feels better than she did in jr high...

again, i'm writing this for the people who might need the information - not trying to sell or convince anyone of anything... i just really wish i'd met that guy 30 years earlier, and maybe i can be someone else's "that guy"...

good luck - it can b done...

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Someone was just telling me about this today. I'm glad to hear it worked for you as well.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats awesome way to go, now the hard part of keeping it off and not falling into old/bad habits.

You have me intrigued and interested, i know a little about the keto diet going to do a little more research. Thanks for heads up. If you have any tips or tricks that helped or really worked and are willing to share that would be great too.
-Did you do any exercise or just the diet?
-Did you count calories or just no carbs?
-How did you give up beer:;:cheers

Last edited:

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good for you man! It takes a lot to make a big change in lifestyle like that. I've been interested in making some changes myself, not necessarily to lose much weight but to just feel better. I could stand to lose 15 lbs now but I'm more concerned with the direction I'm going. I just don't have the time to work out like I used to and eating all the carbs I can find is going to catch up to me.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
a timely post, about a month ago I decided to look deeper into diabetes stuff as I had all the symptoms. That led me to low carb, which is evolving into keto... Eggs, bacon, steak.... seems to be working but too early to say for sure.

deano

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have ms and am on a keto diet the change is unreal. check out the wahls protocol. my last mri was in 2016, and being on that diet for 1 year 1 for the scars was totally healed

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So is the keto diet pretty straight forward if I want to try it or do people do ther own version? Basically wondering if everyone follows the first keto diet you can find on google....

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
good for you.. i never had much of a sweet tooth,but i drank about 4 to 6 cans of pop a day. in the morning my hands would go numb easily from grasping tools for a extended period of time etc, id wake up in the middle of the night and my hand or hands would be completely numb and would have to shake it and hang it over the edge of the bed to get the feeling back... this happened for a long time. about 18 years ago I asked a doctor why while at a visit for a bad cold or bronchitis etc. he says "drink more water". years later I asked a doctor again, same response. 3 or 4 years ago I quit drinking pop ( coffee, water, and beer only now) the numbness is gone, I can sit on my hand if I want and it wont go numb (like I assume it should be, within reason ). I was at the doctor over the last winter and as the nurse was taking my blood pressure etc, and typing on the computer she says. " you were here xxxxx and you weighed 211, I just weighed you and you are 168 pounds"... I am about 5 foot 10 . and I dropped that weight in less than 3 months just by not drinking pop and limiting bread to just a few slices a day. I got some of the awkward questions also, from friends and relatives about my sudden weight loss, I still cant believe how fast it happened.one of the best parts of this is when it is 85 degrees out , the front of my shirt isn't soaked with sweat anymore.

"hung over thirsty" = perfect description

Last edited:

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats awesome way to go, now the hard part of keeping it off and not falling into old/bad habits.

You have me intrigued and interested, i know a little about the keto diet going to do a little more research. Thanks for heads up. If you have any tips or tricks that helped or really worked and are willing to share that would be great too.
-Did you do any exercise or just the diet?
-Did you count calories or just no carbs?
-How did you give up beer:;:cheers

thank you... it has been really easy to maintain - haven't been over 200# for more than a few day since the first week of january... once i got into ketosis, i felt better than i had in years, and want to stay in or get back into as quickly as possible when i do carb up... carbs make me feel bad - keto makes me feel good - pretty easy to do what makes me feel good now... i know it will sound crazy, but when i'm in ketosis, i'm rarely hungry... i've gone entire weekends without eating - only to fall on my face when monday rolls around and i have limited energy, so i avoid that now even when not hungry - especially sundays...

i did no exercise at all - still don't... my weight loss is ALL nutrition...

after doing research, i downloaded "my fitness pal" on my phone and tracked all my meals on that... it has a lot of preset meals, but you can also build your own foods and use those to track what you eat... it will give you a running total of your daily macros and cut it down per meal... i know this might sound crazy but when i started keto i guessed my calories were bout 4 to 5000 per day... i started with a goal of 1750 calories per day to start, then cut it to 1500, then 1250 when i was well adjusted... when i'm serious now i rarely hit 1000 calories per day and have more energy than i need or ever remember having... fat is your energy source and that can come from the food you eat or your body... when you first start, you will prolly get the "keto flu" - an adjustment period from your body switching from glucose to ketones - lots of vids on this...

mmmmmmmm beer... figured i'd drank enough to float a ship, so was up for a change... i still like my buzz, so i switched to booze which is carb free... my go to drink now is vodka with some lemon concentrate and water... nestles makes flavored waters and i mix the lemon flavored instead of just plain water for drinks - bout 3 or 4 per night - almost every night...

my average daily diet now is as follows - never ate breakfast, still don't...
lunch - protein source - 4 to 8 oz (any meat, chicken or fish) maybe some cheese...
dinner - protein source 4 to 8 oz, + a salad with dressing, cheese, nuts...
a few drinks at night...

i'll post a couple of vids of guys i like to follow... the first 1 is the shirtless (usually) guy i mentioned above... he is a no bs guy and has some really good info... the second is a dr that i've followed from my start... i think i remember him having over 25000 patients on keto over the past 20 years or so and is also a no bs guy that i've learned a lot from... 1 of the things that really turned me on to this diet is that no huge company has rights to it - no supplements - no pills - no prepared foods - no membership to buy... it was developed by 2 doctors named finney and voles? to reduce seizures in epileptic kids many years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_X5NjLz2J0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5w-PyeJOrs

- - - Updated - - -

So is the keto diet pretty straight forward if I want to try it or do people do ther own version? Basically wondering if everyone follows the first keto diet you can find on google....

keto is basically changing your body's fuel source from glucose (carbs and sugar (which your body turns into sugar)) to ketones... if you lower your carbs to bout 30 grams per day, you will enter ketosis... any diet that reduces your carbs enough will do this...

green leafy vegetables (not root like potatoes and carrots) are "good carbs" and is where you get your vitamins and minerals...

through research i got a list of vitamins i take to to supplement what i lost from cutting the fruit and veggies i used to eat... i can get that list if you want...

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome, thank you for this info. I've spent the last 2 hours watching videos and researching. I am going to give this a shot. Starting on Sunday.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good job!

Same here. Been doing that for a little over a year - modified version of it though. I found my carb level that my body seems to prefer for my activity level. I typically keep it at around 50 but no more than 100 grams. Occasionally jumping up but then adjustments are made either before or after that. It seems to work welll for me. I’m not actively trying to lose weight but it’s still coming off slowly.

I had dropped some weight before I started this but overall I’m close to 70 lbs gone and am right around 142.

Like others people kept asking if I was sick since I lost so much. Nope feeling better actually!

some days I eat very little and others I will eat more. I don’t like to call it a diet but more of a lifestyle change and once you get used to it, it isn’t that hard to follow even when eating out.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Way to go raider! I salute you! You obviously have the wherewithal and drive to seriously follow the diet, and I assume all the other lifestyle changes that must go with it. The next challenge for you will be to keep your hard earned weight off. For most people, large long term follow up studies have shown that this is the toughest challenge of all.

The trouble with any dietis that diets are like clothes - we put them on and off. Go on them, lose weight, then go off them and soon we are back up again. Some nutrition/weight experts claim this is tougher on the body than anything. Without permanent lifestyle changes, long term results, without sounding too negative here, are dismal. Keep in mind that the Latin derivation of the word DIET means “daily lifestyle changes” ( which means daily lifestyle changes which only secondarily includes dietary changes too). Somehow over the years we’ve derailed DIETY/DIET to just eating habits, leaving out the arguably more important stuff.

From what I’ve read of the current Keto diet, it appears only a little different than the Atkins diet of 25 years ago. Great results initially, but long term results sketchy, when most people (we all are human, me included) tend to backslide, cheat on their diet and exercise programs, etc.

Keep up the good work raider! I’m not trying to be negative with this post, just cautioning everybody that while the keto diet and some others WILL result in weight loss, the tough thing to remember is tha permanent lifestyle changes that are necessary to keep it off.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dolce diet .check it out. You eat everything and it's a simple life style change. World class athletes who have to make weight and perform at the highest levels have used his program. Simple principal's eat earth grown food and lots of it. I have lost fat and put on muscle and at 39 feel better than ever. Losing weight is only one part of being healthy. Skinny fat is as bad as just being fat. Now off for some LISS.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your looking for keto products my wife owns a bakery in Watford City and makes keto bread and flavored breads, fat bombs , cookies , bagels, pizza crust and allot more she makes all products from scratch she can mail products but if you live next to a lake I will happily deliver!! Lol
Look up home town homemade - Watford City on Facebook

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just was on this diet a few months ago. We did a weight loss thing at work. This diet really does work and is pretty damn easy. I lost 43lbs in 2 months with absolutely no exercise and like raider drinking vodka and crystal light instead of beer. Good job!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lost 50 on it. Now just more conscious. Haven't gained any back. 238 to 185. Hovering between 185 and 190 now.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You guys have me in awe.... the amount of weight lost in the amount of time is crazy, ...i'm 5'11, 267 lbs rite now and would like to get back to my normal 205-210 lbs

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't want to jinx myself, but I seem to be down about 30 lbs in about 5 weeks... just learning about "net carbs" this morning, and turns out there is low carb beer :;:cheers

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Way to go raider! I salute you! You obviously have the wherewithal and drive to seriously follow the diet, and I assume all the other lifestyle changes that must go with it. The next challenge for you will be to keep your hard earned weight off. For most people, large long term follow up studies have shown that this is the toughest challenge of all.

The trouble with any dietis that diets are like clothes - we put them on and off. Go on them, lose weight, then go off them and soon we are back up again. Some nutrition/weight experts claim this is tougher on the body than anything. Without permanent lifestyle changes, long term results, without sounding too negative here, are dismal. Keep in mind that the Latin derivation of the word DIET means “daily lifestyle changes” ( which means daily lifestyle changes which only secondarily includes dietary changes too). Somehow over the years we’ve derailed DIETY/DIET to just eating habits, leaving out the arguably more important stuff.

From what I’ve read of the current Keto diet, it appears only a little different than the Atkins diet of 25 years ago. Great results initially, but long term results sketchy, when most people (we all are human, me included) tend to backslide, cheat on their diet and exercise programs, etc.

Keep up the good work raider! I’m not trying to be negative with this post, just cautioning everybody that while the keto diet and some others WILL result in weight loss, the tough thing to remember is tha permanent lifestyle changes that are necessary to keep it off.

thanks, and you're right bob... i have new eating habits now and have rarely been over 200# since feb...

fwiw, i keep my "fat pants" - the ones i just down sized from on my dresser to see every day... cool thing is that my fat pants are now 33 waist...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84