Trespass Bill

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the protesters trespassed on posted land there is actually someone who thinks they will not trespass on land without signs? Don't let them play with sharp objects.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This would be disastrous for the sportsmen in ND. This would be expedite the process of hunting turning into a rich mans sport. On the other hand pheasant road hunters could benefit if they have the same rules as SD.

I guess the wife did say that we need to buy a new boat next so might have to become a fishing only sportsman.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I understand why some landowners would want this.They don't have to put up any posters, but for the life of me I've never figured out why that is such a problem. I don't know that it's really a problem or someone with a solution looking for a problem that benefits very few. One of the reasons I quiver every time the legislature meets is the number of bills that are introduced because a couple of people talk to a legislator and a bill gets introduced that most people in the state have no interest. It seems to me that some legislators are willing to introduce anything that someone requests with no regard for the majority of the electors in their district.

My main problem with changing our no-trespass rules is the difficulty in contacting landowners. So many absentee owner/operators that getting permission is nearly impossible. Even if you can determine the owner/operator, where do they live? can you find a phone number (since there are no cell phonebooks)? Add in the issue of "how many farmers want to be bothered during their busy time of the year if they had never posted their land because they were OK with hunters?". I hope common sense is used when this comes forth. We don't need to make hunting more difficult and lose even more hunters. Access continues to be a big issue for many.

I'm sure someone will argue that posting on a yearly basis gets expensive. Define expensive. Compared to most other farm expenses it's barely a drop in the bucket. I have no interest in starting an argument with farmers but I do know what I'm talking about. I have farm interests so I know something about the costs. Depending on the size of the farm/ranch, the cost of posting signs won't fill most tractors with a tank of diesel fuel.

Lastly, perhaps one of the reasons for this issue is the few who have no idea what it takes to be a gracious guest on someone else's land. Do we always pick up after ourselves? Do we drive on muddy roads that are only passable with 4-wheel drive? If we know the landowner do we keep them informed of how we did? Do we offer thanks in some form from a simple thank you to a gift card or some other gift? How we treat landowners has a lot to do with whether we are welcome back.

I have seen some areas of the state where landowners allow public access for fishing and boat-launching that are kept very neat and orderly and others that I think WTH, why do people leave such a mess? And then next year complain about the selfish landowner that closes their land and wants to keep the fishing for themselves.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
For me as someone who replaces signs more than actually hunting it can be helpful to be everything is trespass without permission. That being said I do not like and will not support it, just wish our game and fish actually gave a crap and our district guy wasn't such a pompous prick and willing to actually do their job.

- - - Updated - - -

RE you got yours in before me and I want to fully read before I comment

- - - Updated - - -

Ok RE I got to read everything and pretty much agree. Cost of posters is negligible in my opinion but what sucks is the time it takes to replace (in my world ) when there is no reason to post more than once per year or even every three with just changing dates. I will admit some reposting is due to aged boards and are in the process of being replaced but there are a lot that are "assisted" off their home. Luckily I have very good friends that respect their hunting area and our land that do the right things you speak of, one guy calls/text me before and after and sometimes during his outing and reports anything maybe out of place, I am very lucky to have a couple individuals as friends and hunting buddies.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you have to pound in over 100 signs and constantly patrol the NR retards that can't read I'm all for it, it would eliminate 95% of the pressure put on by NR's. The locals know who to call when they want to hunt and I have no problem letting them in but when deer season turns into more patrolling than hunting it's time.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you have to pound in over 100 signs and constantly patrol the NR retards that can't read I'm all for it, it would eliminate 95% of the pressure put on by NR's.

The only thing that stops that problem is ensuring they meet law enforcement when they're breaking the law. If all you do is chew them out you're just as much of a problem as they are. You have to understand that they don't think like a law abiding hunter does and to them, an ass-chewing sans and LEO contact is a "win".

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only thing that stops that problem is ensuring they meet law enforcement when they're breaking the law. If all you do is chew them out you're just as much of a problem as they are. You have to understand that they don't think like a law abiding hunter does and to them, an ass-chewing sans and LEO contact is a "win".
And this is why I'm against it. It mostly punishes the honest sportsman

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Months ago I said there is a Bill coming that all land is considered posted. Because of NODAPL many people are coming to the legislature to testify in favor. The number of proponents is going to be large.

I wrote about this right here. DAPL workers and landowners put up no trespassing by day and at night the protesters tore them down and crossed. If they were caught they said "what signs." The next day DAPL hired workers to put up the signs again and the protesters had nothing better to do than sit and watch knowing they were going to tear them down again.

Sportsmen should take the time to meet and greet the landowner even if it is not posted. He may say, "drive here here or here but not over there because he has winter wheat planted." There are hundreds more good reasons to stop in and say hello.

This Bill has come before the legislature a couple times. The main opponent was the ND Wildlife Federation. Remember they had the e-tree and everyone would be asked to email or call their Representative. But the NDWF doesn't have the whiskers anymore. Even looking a little scruffy.

The proponents are going to come out en mass because of NODAPL. This Bill is a loaded speeding freight train. Step in front of it and you're going to get flattened.

Migrator man said,

This would be expedite the process of hunting turning into a rich mans sport.

I disagree. Maybe it will turn into the industrious mans sport? The guy who isn't afraid to knock on doors and sells to the landowner a confidence/trust in him.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you have to pound in over 100 signs and constantly patrol the NR retards that can't read I'm all for it, it would eliminate 95% of the pressure put on by NR's. The locals know who to call when they want to hunt and I have no problem letting them in but when deer season turns into more patrolling than hunting it's time.

Good

- - - Updated - - -

WTF, why is my space bar not working on "reply with quote"?

OK, let me see if I can finish my previous thought to USMCDI.

Good God man, how many acres do you own? I post some 1200 acres a year and all it takes to post that (above legal requirements) is about 12 signs. At 100 signs, are you posting some 15,000 acres?

If so, oorah! That's fricking awesome.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Good

- - - Updated - - -

Good God man, how many acres do you own? I post some 1200 acres a year and all it takes to post that (above legal requirements) is about 12 signs. At 100 signs, are you posting some 15,000 acres?

Non contingent land at 4 signs per quarter.............25 quarters x 160............4000 acres.

When this is being discussed during the session remember this, people on these sites over the years complain about how landowners/farmers/ranchers have changed over the years. And in some cases that certainly is true. I know a few younger guys that are no wheres near the kind of people their parents were.

But this is not some phenomenon soley seen in ag. I'm 53. old enough to have seen the difference in how sportsmen have evolved as well. Most of these issues are the result of a pendelum. They swing as far as they are pushed.

The NDAPL protest was simply the publicized face of what is seen all to often around the state. Every year we deal with people ignoring posted signs. Almost all of them are residents. Many are locals or people who grew up around here or are connected somehow.

Should we call the warden. maybe so, but I try not to be an asshole unless people push and hope that people will learn without it. Perhaps the fact it seems they don;t solidifies the changing of the attitudes of some sportsmen as well.

Pendelums only swing when they are pushed. Either way. People may tire of my posting of what SOME of these sportsmen orgs are pushing as agendas, but take my word for it, that has as much to do with land being closed as a lot of other reasons.

Pull into 10 yards with a DU hat and a DU window decal and let us know your success rate for duck hunting access.

When the G&F started to cut deer tags sportsmen complained about gratis tags being given out after the draw becasue they thought the land owner was getting a better deal. Now you have to decide gratis or roll the dice on the draw. Now guys like me that used to put in the draw only put in for a gratis and hunt only our land.........what do think will happen with posting land and access? .

Maybe this is a way to start relationships that can stop the pushing.

Write down all the areas you have hunted the last few years , put a little effort into it and have a conversation and just maybe you will have more opportunities open up than one thinks.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just remember boys the evil nonresident Wisconsin and Minnesota guys that will be your biggest allies when it comes to this fight. They will be able to rally the hotel and restaurant owners and just about any other business out there that caters to nonresident hunters. it's those business groups that normally hold sway over the legislature and hopefully enough when teamed up with the in state guys to stomp this one out quick like years past.

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
It doesn't matter anymore, hunting is all but dead to me. Gotta to love when it is the little guy that needs a law changed, the legislature doesn't do shit, but the minute a billion dollar pipeline runs into a road block, suddenly a five alarm fire is lit under their asses. This shit is so corrupt, they don't even bother to hide it anymore.

So how long before adjacent land owners can prevent access to the lakes and rivers? 2019?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never lived without this law. Weeds out lazy people and makes prosecution of tresspass easier as there is no question. But not my problem so I hope what ever happens makes all nodaks,sconni, and blue platers happy chasing ducks with that nr cap in place....

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel like that we sportsmen are going to pay the price because of the protest. The protest will be over by the end of the year and we will be stuck with this knee-jerk reaction.

With current farming practices this would make things difficult. Absentee landlords own the land and the few people that are farming are farming thousands and thousands of acres. I know of cases where people are farming land 20-30 miles from the home place. They have no time to sit and talk in the fall or even take a phone call. They may not even have a landline. The guy(s) working the field may be just a hired men, maybe even foreign. I can really see where these people would not want to be bothered.

What makes it worth living where I do is being able to grab the gun and the dog after work and chasing roosters for a couple of hours. This could really put a damper on that. The PLOTS land that used to be around me has nearly disappeared and unposted stuff is where I do a good share of my hunting.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Glad I grew up in the time of wine and rose's. Still have the memories for awhile yet.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad I grew up in the time of wine and rose's. Still have the memories for awhile yet.

Same here. Talking with a couple of landowners it sound even worse. Some who have never posted and don't want to be bothered every day talk about posting their driveway with a sign that says "don't even ask". They don't mind people hunting their land, but they don't want a couple of vehicles every day in their yard, or expecting them off their tractor to talk. One of my friends has 40,000 acres in North Dakota, a few thousand by Lemon , South Dakota, and some in Nebraska. He only currently posts around the farmstead where his foreman to each contiguous acreage is residing, and around his elevators and plane hangers. He starts getting pestered and there will only be a handful of us ever hunting it again. That's a shame. Even though I can hunt it I have not for ten years. I have places closer.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
if this bill ever passes the game and fish will take a huge hit to their budget. I will be all done hunting as well as a shit pile of people I would assume. So then we would need to figure out a way to fund the game and fish. Guess they would have to be funded from the general fund.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good

- - - Updated - - -

I wish, only 36 quarters, it's easy on our 3 sections by the yard that are tied together but you have to make the rest retard proof, half mile lines are also an ass-pain, I put up signs that say "Not a section line" locals are the most guilty on that one, they look around for us and do whatever they want.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 38
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14