Trespass Bill

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm okay with this going in.

will it hinder my waterfowl hunting---yeah maybe slightly very slightly. I rely mainly on personal contacts who i know well and have developed relationships with over the past decade and networking and very very rarely hunt unposted fields anyhow.

deer hunting--all public land

ive gotten use to this type of hunting in MT, Wyoming etc so bash away all you want I'm personally fine with this going in.

buy plot books, onx maps, NDtrax whatever they have all public info. as far as NR's owners it may take work but I'm no stranger to that. once ( found a field posted no name) called the NR landowner who lived in Idaho, he told me the guy who rented it, called him, he said call this guy he does the hunting rights, called him he says yep go ahead kill all those bastards.. 157 snows later it was worth the effort.....

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm okay with this going in.

will it hinder my waterfowl hunting---yeah maybe slightly very slightly. I rely mainly on personal contacts who i know well and have developed relationships with over the past decade and networking and very very rarely hunt unposted fields anyhow.

deer hunting--all public land

ive gotten use to this type of hunting in MT, Wyoming etc so bash away all you want I'm personally fine with this going in.

buy plot books, onx maps, NDtrax whatever they have all public info. as far as NR's owners it may take work but I'm no stranger to that. once ( found a field posted no name) called the NR landowner who lived in Idaho, he told me the guy who rented it, called him, he said call this guy he does the hunting rights, called him he says yep go ahead kill all those bastards.. 157 snows later it was worth the effort.....

just because you are "ok" with it, does it make it necessary and will it help/fix anything?

If you dont want people on your land hunting or just would like to know who is out there, great! Post it up as required. If you dont give a hoot and dont want to be bothered about it, leave it un-posted. Seems it has been pretty easy on everyone thus far. I fail to see a reason for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention public lands getting hit even harder

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only winners I see are the outfitters. Hunters and landowners will suffer. Most hunters will think it's the landowners who pushed it and not support agriculture. I am guessing the outfitters will be in Bismarck pushing hard and throwing their money in a fund to buy a few legislators that are not already in their pocket. The bigger the wedge between hunters and landowners the more money the outfitter makes.

Which is exactly what the initiated measures (that the people of North Dakota overwhelmingly did not want) did!!!! And here we are!!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which is exactly what the initiated measures (that the people of North Dakota overwhelmingly did not want) did!!!! And here we are!!
Apples and oranges and butt hurt after years. Initiated members are for when the legislature will not listen to the people. I'll bet you voted for some in your lifetime.

So rather than whine what have you to say about the current subject? I think we would all prefer that to instigating another pissing match.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Apples and oranges and butt hurt after years. Initiated members are for when the legislature will not listen to the people. I'll bet you voted for some in your lifetime.

So rather than whine what have you to say about the current subject? I think we would all prefer that to instigating another pissing match.

Very well could be apples and oranges.............very well could be butt hurt........Do you think there are legislators that don't forget that nonsense?? It isn't legislation that I proposed or support.............

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
This bill would really hinder my pheasant and duck hunting. I have so much trouble finding landowners' phone numbers time after time after time. I have no problems asking permission or even getting turned down for permission but it's hard when you don't have the contact info available.

Huge props to the farmer that stopped me on our last walk yesterday to tell us to hunt the great slough he had posted across the street. Will have to bring him a case of beer next time I am in the area.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
........Do you think there are legislators that don't forget that nonsense??
I sure hope our legislators would consider the merits of the bill and not just try get even with the people that they supposedly represent. I suppose that's to much to ask.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
This bill would really hinder my pheasant and duck hunting. I have so much trouble finding landowners' phone numbers time after time after time. I have no problems asking permission or even getting turned down for permission but it's hard when you don't have the contact info available.

Huge props to the farmer that stopped me on our last walk yesterday to tell us to hunt the great slough he had posted across the street. Will have to bring him a case of beer next time I am in the area.

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Browse/United_States/North+Dakota/
This website has your information you may need to find out who owns what land you want to hunt

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
just because you are "ok" with it, does it make it necessary and will it help/fix anything?

If you dont want people on your land hunting or just would like to know who is out there, great! Post it up as required. If you dont give a hoot and dont want to be bothered about it, leave it un-posted. Seems it has been pretty easy on everyone thus far. I fail to see a reason for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention public lands getting hit even harder

true on the public land, true on posting. with that being said how many guys have seen posted signs torn, down, buried, "vandalized" and the guys trespassing get "zero" punishment because it he said vs she said. i get there bad apples always will be but this makes it clear cut.

heres why im for it.

this happens a helluva lot more than it should. take field A corn field posted on 2 of the 3 corners ( so not letter of law but there obvious intent.) other corner is in middle of section. most people would find owner and ask, well nowa days it seems the easy ting to do is enter field at unposted corner , and risk getting chewed out playing dumb. with this law, cut and dried they will face legal trouble regardless.

my borther and i will ask permission if theres even 1 sign ripped down the middle and its illegible.

it wont stop all illegal activity i get it but those willing to work, develop relationships etc, will reap the benefits

- - - Updated - - -

again i have developed relationships throughout the state where i hunt very very minimally on unposted land. maybe 1 hunt this year. the posted fields i dont even read the signs as i know who owns them. i know who rents whats, who has hunting rights here, etc just a plus to working in small towns and developing relationships with my patients/clients. i understand it does make it harder for the vast majority of other people but i dont hunt much outside that core area.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
haha and the reputation comments are starting, good lord if you cant handle a "discussion" like a man holy balls guys some of you are like children.

no im not a NR, born and raised ND. just work hard, develop relationships and have been Fkd a time or two by people playing dumb, trespassing with no permission.......and yes we did RAP both times and no they never came where always too busy so that program is a joke as well

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sure hope our legislators would consider the merits of the bill and not just try get even with the people that they supposedly represent. I suppose that's to much to ask.

I don't think they are trying to get even with the people they represent..........much of the money that supported those initiatives came from out of state...... The self appointed "spokesmen" for the sportsmens initiatives were warned of the divide they were causing......Those are facts........so my question is, is this a retaliation against those groups and people and the local ND average Joe's are the ones potentially getting hit with shrapnel?

My personal stance, I hope I am wrong............I hope that reasoning with legislators and talking with landowners can get the support needed for it not to pass.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
haha and the reputation comments are starting, good lord if you cant handle a "discussion" like a man holy balls guys some of you are like children.

no im not a NR, born and raised ND. just work hard, develop relationships and have been Fkd a time or two by people playing dumb, trespassing with no permission.......and yes we did RAP both times and no they never came where always too busy so that program is a joke as well

t'wasnt me fyi. you have your opinion and i have mine. no issues here.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
t'wasnt me fyi. you have your opinion and i have mine. no issues here.

im sure my brother differs on this opinion too. guess what ill wake up tommorw, hes still my brother, i will still hunt with him, i will still fish with him and drink beer with him.....

im my experiences i will definitely read more into this bill but i would be lieing if i havent "wished" for this to happen for awhile.

10-4 wags

- - - Updated - - -

its funny this started today as i was just about to pull up the hot button outdoors issues this year as i knew the session was starting.

- - - Updated - - -

wags whats your suggestion for ripping, puling signs, vandalized signs then?
seriously not jabbing at you but this happens a shit ton..more than you would think in talking with the guys i know very very well. actually many of them tell us where there signs are and if we notice one missing to throw another up....

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

ND posting is not my buisness the neg rep told me. Haha

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think they are trying to get even with the people they represent..........much of the money that supported those initiatives came from out of state...... The self appointed "spokesmen" for the sportsmens initiatives were warned of the divide they were causing......Those are facts........so my question is, is this a retaliation against those groups and people and the local ND average Joe's are the ones potentially getting hit with shrapnel?

My personal stance, I hope I am wrong............I hope that reasoning with legislators and talking with landowners can get the support needed for it not to pass.

I understand that. Don't forget most of the money against some of these measures also comes from out of state. I know that's an old fall back, but both sides get a lot of out of state money.
I hope that reasoning with legislators and talking with landowners can get the support needed for it not to pass.
I hope that also. :;:thumbsup I can not see where it would help with the protest situation at all. If they are going to get in your pasture and shoot cattle they sure as heck are not worried about posting. I think some people are just using it for an excuse to try get what they have wanted for years. At my age it will kill coyote hunting. Three knee surgeries, heart stents, heart medicine. When I was 50 years old I could still make up to 15 miles a day on cross country skis. I can't do that anymore, but I hate to give up hunting.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
im sure my brother differs on this opinion too. guess what ill wake up tommorw, hes still my brother, i will still hunt with him, i will still fish with him and drink beer with him.....

im my experiences i will definitely read more into this bill but i would be lieing if i havent "wished" for this to happen for awhile.

10-4 wags

- - - Updated - - -

its funny this started today as i was just about to pull up the hot button outdoors issues this year as i knew the session was starting.

- - - Updated - - -

wags whats your suggestion for ripping, puling signs, vandalized signs then?
seriously not jabbing at you but this happens a shit ton..more than you would think in talking with the guys i know very very well. actually many of them tell us where there signs are and if we notice one missing to throw another up....

I dont know what the answer is i guess, and i really do feel bad for the shit that landowners have to deal with from time to time. I do know more laws typically dont stop ass-hats from being ass-hats and breaking them. Might be easier to prosecute though? I was told by a game warden that even if a field isnt "legally" posted (say only one sign in an approach or corner) that the landowner will win that battle 9 out of 10 times. If this area you speak of is such a problem with this happening, more needs to be getting done by the game warden (maybe even sheriff?)

What you complain of is yet another unfortunate reason i avoid waterfowl hunting. People suck.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this is the case, then most every land owner I know is not aware you can apply for both tags at the same time and default to the gratis if not drawn. I actually called the G&F about this as Dad had missed the deadline the first year it was changed and no one there explained that. The gal on the line told us you had to choose prior which to apply for because gratis tags were not going to be given out after the application deadline. Perhaps the G&F need to clarify this to their employees.

Thanks for the clarification.

I always ask questions to state g&f departments via email so that I get a written reply and I hang on to them "Just in case", here is the reply to this specific gratis tag issue that I inquired about in 2012 when the law changed. My question is on the bottom half, reply from NDGF on top.

No you won't lose your preference points as you get a one year grace period from not applying in the lottery, if you wouldn't apply two years in a row you would lose your preference points. But you can send in two applications - one for a lottery license and a second for a gratis. If you get drawn in the lottery then you will not get a gratis license of any kind this year. If you do not get drawn in the lottery you will receive your gratis license. Be careful about how you apply in the lottery. If you only put down a first choice in your first unit choice and do not get drawn then you will get a gratis. However, if you put down a second choice in the first unit (a white-tailed buck or doe for instance) OR a first choice or second choice in a second unit and you get drawn for any one of these licenses you will not get a gratis license. If you do not get drawn for your first choice you will receive a preference point for future drawings. Also, please do not wait to apply for your gratis until later in the fall - we are anticipating that all the licenses will be issued very early this year. Your strategy of applying for both the lottery and a gratis by the deadline in early June is the safest. Let us know if you have any further questions.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2012 8:58 AM
To: -Info-Game & Fish Dept.
Subject: Preference Points Question

I have a few preference points built up as I usually apply for Mule Deer buck and if I don't get than I apply for my gratis. I understand that things are different this year and completely agree with the logic, but my question is if I apply for my gratis right away and forget about putting in for Mule Deer buck this year will I loose the preference that I now have?

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont know what the answer is i guess, and i really do feel bad for the shit that landowners have to deal with from time to time. I do know more laws typically dont stop ass-hats from being ass-hats and breaking them. Might be easier to prosecute though? I was told by a game warden that even if a field isnt "legally" posted (say only one sign in an approach or corner) that the landowner will win that battle 9 out of 10 times. If this area you speak of is such a problem with this happening, more needs to be getting done by the game warden (maybe even sheriff?)

What you complain of is yet another unfortunate reason i avoid waterfowl hunting. People suck.

right! that is unfortunately why i stopped chasing them so hard and network more/use land i know and trust.

theres advantages and disadvantages either way. a lot of us on this sight are fortunate that we have hunted for years and have contacts. the ones it hurts the most is the ones trying to start the sport now and dont really have a direction to go it will basically limit there opportunities and make more "work" to get started i also understand that as i got my start with my old man and essentially nothing was posted back in the day. unfortunately with the world wide web, social media etc hunting is now competition and competition brings out the best and worst of people.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't own any land so for me it comes down to getting written permission regardless if it is posted. I remember reading post where there were oil patch workers staying on old abandoned farm sites that were not posted causing all kinds of problems with law enforcement. Those who want to enjoy our beautiful state will have to adjust to an ever changing world because if this bill passes hopefully the game and fish will update their web apps to include plats and plots in the same system. Making it easy to find who owns what land and what land is open to public hunting.
Isn't this law already used in Montana were all private land is posted regardless if it has a posted sign?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18