Trespass Bill

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know several farmers/ranchers that don't post their land for the sole purpose of not wanting to be asked/bothered.

Some guys have thousands of acres across 2 to 3 counties, and the last thing that want is phone calls all season long looking to hunt the little buck brush patch out in the boonies.

I am with the thought of leave well enough alone.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by PrairieGhost

The only winners I see are the outfitters. Hunters and landowners will suffer. Most hunters will think it's the landowners who pushed it and not support agriculture. I am guessing the outfitters will be in Bismarck pushing hard and throwing their money in a fund to buy a few legislators that are not already in their pocket. The bigger the wedge between hunters and landowners the more money the outfitter makes.

Which is exactly what the initiated measures (that the people of North Dakota overwhelmingly did not want) did!!!! And here we are!!

A good point. Some of these "sportsmen" orgs do as much to drive wedges between land owners and sportsmen than anything out there.

If sportsmen don;t want to take up their time bitching about a "bullshit trespass bill".... rein in some of these orgs pushing agendas that drive these wedges.

- - - Updated - - -

Apples and oranges and butt hurt after years. Initiated members are for when the legislature will not listen to the people. I'll bet you voted for some in your lifetime.

So rather than whine what have you to say about the current subject? I think we would all prefer that to instigating another pissing match.

plains the measures woodpecker is talking about were defeated overwehlmingly by "the people". Some times our pegislators actually do listen to the people of the state plains how do you think they keep getting elected?

Just because you don;t win on a p[articular issue doesn;t mean the legislators don;t listen to the people they represent.

Quit "whining" like Hillary and the Democrats.............;)

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone say whether resident licenses in Mt and SD dropped off after trespass laws were passed?

I really don;t care if this passes or not, if you do, take the time to contact your legislators instead of "whining" about how they are in peoples pockets. If it is that important to you, take a day and drive down and provide testimonies. My experience in testifying on a number of bills is that legislators DO listen to those that show up and those that contact them. My experience also is those that whine the loudest about them being in someones pocket or not listening never take the time or effort to show up and participate in the legislative process.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I skipped the last half dozen posts since I don't feel like reading the same old gst posts.

Okay dean I apologize for the little jab about IDing the dog......but hey how will you ever know anything if you don;t read those posts..........................:D

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
if this passes one way to get it straightened out is get a group of a few hundred hunters (social media will make this very easy) and start calling land owners every half hour 24 hours a day asking for permission.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That sounds like a good idea you will get your way....Kinda like ocupie wallstreet crowd.....And we wonder where the kids get it from

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't read whole thing but someone asked about people pulling off signs.

If posters werent required it would be just as easy to say oh I thought this was George's land and George gave me permission. I didn't know that quarter line was the property line.

Also there would be a lot more honest mistakes like that

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You get a ticket here for that it is simple.with maps and gps you should always know where you are these days.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
this happens a helluva lot more than it should. take field A corn field posted on 2 of the 3 corners ( so not letter of law but there obvious intent.) other corner is in middle of section. most people would find owner and ask, well nowa days it seems the easy ting to do is enter field at unposted corner , and risk getting chewed out playing dumb. with this law, cut and dried they will face legal trouble regardless.

The law was changed several years ago to address this exact situation so it's not an issue anymore. The real reason most people don't get prosecuted is because the landowner themselves chose to let the violator go.

I hunt a mixture of public, private with permission, and unposted private. I could easily do my hunting on the two former but enjoy being able to go out and find those those little unposted hidden gems. I do most upland bird hunting that way and most big game hunting on public and private with permission. The thing about it is the game belongs to the people not the landowner. I don't think it's too much to ask to put up signs when requesting the public not pursue their property on yours. I think it's a fair trade off.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh ok so the discussion has already been settled? Everyone better just pack up shop and dont DARE speak your opinion or you will be "flattened".

Man that quote makes you sound like a total asshole.

You called me a total asshole. I'm laughing my butt off right now. I should have been more clear. Legislators like facts and people testifying who speak from the heart. Raw emotion. Life's experiences.

A friend with the police worked the protest for months and they're sick of the trespassing. I have been in meetings where landowners talked at length about the problem. They are going to come to testify from more sectors than you can shake a stick at. Sport hunting is going to take a back seat.

Actually, I'm not in favor of changing what we have now. I like being spontaneous. While driving along it's an adventure to stop and pop on a new parcel of ground you have never hunted before. Probably would have taken longer to find the landowner than the fifteen minute walk.

Here's the deal, they're probably going to need the big Brynheld Haugland room at the Capitol to fit everyone in to the committee hearing. They're probably going to have to allow for more time. The proponents of a Bill go first. The opponents last. They should have equal time. As a sportsmen with an opinion, you should be there. Do not wait for the ND Wildlife Federation to do it for you. Those guys are so dumb they circle the wagons and shoot inward. They got flattened on the Anti Baiting Bill and more.

ndlongshot, thanx you made my evening.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
The thing about it is the game belongs to the people not the landowner. I don't think it's too much to ask to put up signs when requesting the public not pursue their property on yours. I think it's a fair trade off.

Before we go too far down that road, 2 things.

1. I am liable if my property walks into your back yard and eats your wife's garden. What's a "fair trade off" then when your "property" comes into my backyard and eats mine?

2. The non hunting public far outnumbers the hunting public so you might want to be a bit careful when talking about what people are allowed to do with their "property".

Say out of curiousity what are you or most of this public doing to help save your "property" this winter?

That's a slippery slope to start down.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The thing about MT is there is so much public land that a guy doesn't need to rely on private land as much as ND. Trying to hunt big game on private land in MT is tough unless you are willing to pony up the Benjamins. Look at SD and the pheasant hunting. If you want to hunt in SD on private land good luck finding places that won't charge you a fee. ND will only move faster to fee hunting if the trespass law is passed. Granted most people I have asked to hunt in ND have never asked for money but that could change when areas get bought up by rich Hunters. It's hard enough finding a phone number for landowners that showing up at thier house is not always welcome. I have met some farmers that just don't care and don't want to be bothered.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow guys. At this point it's pretty obvious I'm basically the only one on here who isn't an asshole. Anyhow, to add to the convo I wanted to share that I know a few avid hunters (both old and new skool) who absolutely will not stop and ask for permission. Personally, I have no problem doing so, but for whatever reason they will not. As strange as it sounds, it seems to me that they would somehow feel shamed for asking??? For what it's worth, I could honestly see them giving up on their favorite past time should this bill pass. They have relied on public and unposted property for years and absolutely will not even consider accessing land which has so much as a paper remnant stapled to a telephone pole.

I shit you not, over the years I have heard on a few occasions "well it's not posted is it?" when checking with the landowner to make doubly sure it was AOK for me to hunt.....

I think the bill is stupid and hurts all sportsman present and certainly decreases future participants.

I can also see 'pay for play' taking off a bit more as well, which is absolutely disgusting.

Last edited:

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have alot of thoughts concerning this bill, not enough time at this point to discuss in detail at the moment so i will give a few basic thoughts on the issue. as i age i find myself learing who i am as a person. sometimes i am outgoing and engaging, being born and raised in nd i have no issue asking permission or carrying on a conversation with anyone. however, i am discovering i am an extroverted introvert. meaning i am able to converse and maintain dialogue in normal settings but i prefer solitude and my alone time. it isnt that i dont want to be left alone its just that in a normal day i like having time to myself to work and think without distraction. i think there are plenty of farmers who may fall in this category as well. those who dont post do so for a reason. 3/4ths of the time i will track down any landowner and shoot the breeze but fron my personal experience i have times where i just dont want to bother anyone or dont feel much like having any personal interaction. im guessing there are a fair amount of introverted hunters as well. after a hard week of work i cherish a solo hunt where i can drive out and have a good hunt and its just the simple basics of life. i can forget work, theres no rat race to track down a farmer who is obviously busy and doesnt want to be overrun with hunters. its hunting the way i remember it growing up and it brings me
peace at times when life seems complex. i disagree with my brother on this issue, even though this bill passing could benefit us. i disagree for alot of reasons i will discuss later when i have time but for the simple fact that this bill takes the simplicity and innocent nature of those who may not have connections or good people who may not have a great set of people skills and discourages them from a statewide pastime. posters are cheap. finding willing people to post your land is even cheaper. i feel this bill is written and pushed by a minority of north dakotans

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Out of all the posts so far, I think Trip hits real close to home about why many oppose this idea and I can relate a bit as many times I enjoy the spontaneous solitude of the hunt away from other hassles, there are a lot of things I remember growing up that I wish we could revert back to.

But the reality is more people are thinking about this idea because a minority of North Dakotans are causing issues that make it seem like a simple solution.

For those people this is not a"stupid" or "bullshit trespass bill" but a means to seek a solution to frustrating issues I can also relate to.

The DAPL issue and the fools that came to our state and those within our state that encouraged them is simply the face of those frustrations.

Until you have dealt with those frustrations on a predictable yearly basis it may be hard to understand how someone could support a bill that would take away what Trip speaks of.

I have a good friend that often opening week end of deer season we go up north to another friends place just so we don;t have to deal with the stupidity of what happens in our back yards which just happen to be a little bigger than some in town.

This is actually a bill I kind of hope does not pass even though it may make my life easier as trip alludes to, but instead of causing people to get angry and divide, maybe stop and think a bit.

Take the time to speak with your legislators, go testify, have your voice heard, but remember not everyone supporting this bill is a greedy asshole as some claim and they may have their own reasons for doing so you might not have experienced yourself.

Last edited:

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it is about dealing with protesters, maybe they can pass laws to outlaw staying on someone Else's land overnight or using a camper or tent. What were people doing when they entered the land of others? Maybe writing a bill to target those activities could happen.

Did law enforcement give these people the kid-glove treatment for too long when they were engaging in mischief? Just some thoughts.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The thing about MT is there is so much public land that a guy doesn't need to rely on private land as much as ND. Trying to hunt big game on private land in MT is tough unless you are willing to pony up the Benjamins. Look at SD and the pheasant hunting. If you want to hunt in SD on private land good luck finding places that won't charge you a fee. ND will only move faster to fee hunting if the trespass law is passed. Granted most people I have asked to hunt in ND have never asked for money but that could change when areas get bought up by rich Hunters. It's hard enough finding a phone number for landowners that showing up at thier house is not always welcome. I have met some farmers that just don't care and don't want to be bothered.

Not true but I just live here. After the first weekend you can find all.konds of places to hunt pheasants. Thing is there is such good public land that gets hit once it isn't that big of deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and as for waterfowl I have been told no only because some one else has permission but they said come the next day it's all yours.

We in SD also have enough public land where you don't have to worry about it. Up till 8 or so years ago it's all I hunted as I was to chicken shit to knock on doors I killed lots of stuff probably more than I do now with private land to hunt back then I wasn't selective if it was legal it was dead.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always figure if they want to not be able to post their land then that has a "value" to both them and the sportsmen. It's not a right they had. It'd be a new right given to them and as such they're should be something of value given back. In SD I believe all land is considered posted yet you can hunt ditches and section lines even if the land is posted. So, if such a bill is going to be passed, then something of "value" should be given to the sportsmen in exchange for that right. If it's that important to have an automatic trespass law, then they should at least have to give up something such as allowing hunting ditches and sections lines. I'm not sure if they'd be as gungho about it if they had to give up something such as that for that right. But fair is fair.....

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this passes, there will be many "sportsmen" that will need to learn how to:

1. Drive into a operating farm yard
2. Get out of their vehicle
3. Introduce themselves to a stranger
4. Shake another mans hand
5. Not be a jackwagon
6. Have a short conversation, learn to understand the challenges of a rural/farming lifestyle and respect it.
7. Say thank-you sincerely
8. Leave something in better shape than when you got their
8. Do something nice for a person in return
9. Build relationships
10. Learn to say "I understand, thanks for your time" when you don't get the answer you want.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always figure if they want to not be able to post their land then that has a "value" to both them and the sportsmen. It's not a right they had. It'd be a new right given to them and as such they're should be something of value given back. In SD I believe all land is considered posted yet you can hunt ditches and section lines even if the land is posted. So, if such a bill is going to be passed, then something of "value" should be given to the sportsmen in exchange for that right. If it's that important to have an automatic trespass law, then they should at least have to give up something such as allowing hunting ditches and sections lines. I'm not sure if they'd be as gungho about it if they had to give up something such as that for that right. But fair is fair.....

Sitting in ditches around wilmont and big stone power plant ( shot my first goose) waiting for the flight are some of the best memories of hunting with my dad and uncle. It was a good day when one guy out of four got a goose.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18