Pig barns near Devils lake

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You do realize there are other pig barns in the devils lake area, as long as the owners follow a strict protocol or guidelines on holding and removal of animal waste I see nothing wrong with this. I grew up on a farm, pigs by size are actually one of the cleanest, easiest and cheapest animals to make money off. I vote yes all the way:;:thumbsup

correction I see the hog operation by cando is not listed

Last edited:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think getting that pig shit fertilizer flowing into the lake would really help the white bass put on some size

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Capturepig.jpg

As far as I know these were hog barns
Capturepig2.jpg

Last edited:

Iceman

Founding Member
Founding Member
You do realize there are other pig barns in the devils lake area, as long as the owners follow a strict protocol or guidelines on holding and removal of animal waste I see nothing wrong with this. I grew up on a farm, pigs by size are actually one of the cleanest, easiest and cheapest animals to make money off. I vote yes all the way:;:thumbsup

correction I see the hog operation by cando is not listed
If they get these stopped I'd say go after the ones by cando coolee there is so much vacant and that would be better. Say Munich to Langdon

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if those barns are running or if they got shut down becuase some violation. Also the dairy operations in the Detroit Lakes area water down the manure and spread it some kind of sprayer. The land around Detroit Lakes is sandy so it would leach rather then run off like here is the basin. As long as the follow health codes I beleive everyone should have a right to own thier own business. Jmo

Iceman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if those barns are running or if they got shut down becuase some violation. Also the dairy operations in the Detroit Lakes area water down the manure and spread it some kind of sprayer. The land around Detroit Lakes is sandy so it would leach rather then run off like here is the basin. As long as the follow health codes I beleive everyone should have a right to own thier own business. Jmo
The farmer reached out to farmers in the area but got turned down, they don't want this stuff in the area. Plus the only thing the farmer has in it is the land, investors cover the rest

- - - Updated - - -

Email the folks in the link and say we don't want it this close to the lake and homes

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
The farmer reached out to farmers in the area but got turned down, they don't want this stuff in the area. Plus the only thing the farmer has in it is the land, investors cover the rest

- - - Updated - - -

Email the folks in the link and say we don't want it this close to the lake and homes

so, how many people live within 3 miles of this???

Tim

Lunker, you see nothing wrong with a projected 44,000 pigs a year being raised in such close proximity to pelican lake? How many pigs were raised on the farms you grew up near? Were you raised under high voltage power lines? The permit these guys have requested would allow them with out any additional regulations to expand by 25%, they also have additional barns waiting to go up depending on this outcome. If this takes off it is going to be huge! Location has approximately 40 to 50 people with in three miles rough guess. Scoobys subdivision, sunny hills sub, six mile campground and many farmsteads.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You worry about pig crap, what about all the fertilizer going into the water every year

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lunker, you see nothing wrong with a projected 44,000 pigs a year being raised in such close proximity to pelican lake? How many pigs were raised on the farms you grew up near? Were you raised under high voltage power lines? The permit these guys have requested would allow them with out any additional regulations to expand by 25%, they also have additional barns waiting to go up depending on this outcome. If this takes off it is going to be huge! Location has approximately 40 to 50 people with in three miles rough guess. Scoobys subdivision, sunny hills sub, six mile campground and many farmsteads.

Tim welcome I see you joined just to post on this topic. Tell me the other operations by Cando are they still in operation?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Without have any other knowledge about this issue it is my opinion that ANY large animal feedlot (In animal size ie Sheep on up and not acreage) should NOT be constructed or operated near ANY natural drainage or body of water. Ranching in the pastures around such waterways are NOT feedlots mind you. Having a few thousand cows grazing along the shores is in no way comparable to 50,000 animals fed in confinement pens over the course of a years time. The temptation to use these waterways and lakes as a dump for the TONS AND TONS of waste is just too tempting for these operations when dollars are on the line. There are too many examples of this from all across this nation to ignore this fact. We have winter up here and liquids, along with their transportation systems, tend to FREEZE and stop working. THEN WHAT??? Overland flooding in the spring and any number of other "Natural Events" can cause unplanned discharges and other significant issues to the environment regardless of any regulatory requirements. Without knowing anything more, I would vote NO to this.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I would encourage people find out the actual facts behind the permitting process management protacols and the exact regulatory language and requirements for construction of a new hog confinement facility before posting.

Some times the same people posting picture of fatties wrapped in bacon and more bacon will be the first ones to claim "not in my backyard" without bothering ot find out a few facts first.

Tim

I believe the operation in the Cando area is still going, they did have trouble this spring with kids breaking in and stealing pigs for a pig roast. Unfortunately nobody told these kids that you are not supposed to put live pigs in the fire.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I recall claims of "feedlots being built on river bottoms to use spring floods to wash away the manure " a few years back when the NDFB "right to farm" amendment was passed. And yet the regulations within the sate that prevent that are still being followed and the Missouri is still flowing south.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would encourage people find out the actual facts behind the permitting process management protacols and the exact regulatory language and requirements for construction of a new hog confinement facility before posting.

Some times the same people posting picture of fatties wrapped in bacon and more bacon will be the first ones to claim "not in my backyard" without bothering ot find out a few facts first.

I'm WELL versed in the regulatory language and requirements GST, but one simple google search of say "Minnesota feedlot violations" results in more than enough evidence to call into question the all too common issues that arise from feedlots and the frequency with which mishandling of wastes occur.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the operation in the Cando area is still going, they did have trouble this spring with kids breaking in and stealing pigs for a pig roast. Unfortunately nobody told these kids that you are not supposed to put live pigs in the fire.

I heard about that burning that pig didn't they video record the act,

Also with a holding tank under the building wouldn't it be able to be controlled BLACK WATER AND SMELL by the same system as a drainage ditch field. I know this would be the first of its kind in north dakota. So many question with no clear answers then what is written in the article. Unlike others I am a "glass half full" kind of man which means I will support until we here all the facts. Jmo

Also I wonder if these investors are thinking about trumps new import tarif tax which has already started to effect the lumber business here in the states.

Also anyone notice the price of grain has been contisously rising in the last month? I wonder what's going on

Last edited:

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm WELL versed in the regulatory language and requirements GST, but one simple google search of say "Minnesota feedlot violations" results in more than enough evidence to call into question the all too common issues that arise from feedlots and the frequency with which mishandling of wastes occur.

If you are well versed in the designs of new hog confinements operation you would know the levels of containment and secondary containment they use to know a risk of any spill contaminating the lake is very slight.

I would imagine there is a risk of a large plane flying over an urban area spraying mosquitos crashing and killing me when I am at Macs in Minot or dozens of other people yet that is a risk weighed and taken.

these new hog facilities are not grandpas old one.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.ndhealth.gov/PublicComment/NDPDES20160126.pdf

They don;t just dig a hole and pour some concrete and start makin bacon.

- - - Updated - - -

If you do not think these operations are closely watched here in ND..............

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Are they following the mile set back guide lines? Have they done the appropriate soils testing and ground water research?

Should businesses not be allowed if they follow regulation and state law?

I would not mind at all a hog operations close by that wished to apply their manure to my pastures.

- - - Updated - - -

Without have any other knowledge about this issue it is my opinion that ANY large animal feedlot (In animal size ie Sheep on up and not acreage) should NOT be constructed or operated near ANY natural drainage or body of water.

So when the EPA is finally successful in passing the WOTUS (it has been killed for now under Trump) and any water that sits for 24 hours falls under a "body of water" definition they have control over, will federal law considered by people with this ideology prevent feedlots and confinement operations from even being developed ANYWHERES?

It is kind of hypocritical to be supportive of the DAPL and complain those protesting were environemental whackos becasue pipelines are safe and rarely leak and then complain about a new hog facility being built becasue of water contamination concerns

Tim

The risk maybe slight but why take the risk at all when there is so many obviously more suitable areas to put an operation like this? It's not a risk I'd be willing to take. The depth from the ground surface to the seasonal high water table at the gestation barn site is at 2.6 feet and at the farrowing barn is at 5.8 feet with a lean clay and a sandy loam soil. Also there is people in this area that are still using wells, what are the effects on them?

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you find information on mile set back guidelines? These guys are at a half mile set back, different by township or county?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33