Pig barns near Devils lake

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lunker I think the Garrison Diversion that was part of this plan was stopped because it violated a water treaty with Canada. Canada worried about the bio transfer from the Gulf of Mexico watershed getting into their water. That would be equivalent to small pox when it hit the native Americans. We don't know for sure what would happen, but they were not as willing as us to take a chance.
yes correct didn't we also run out of oil money to finish the canal or to keep fighting in the courts to finish

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had heard that the soil caved into the canal and the first year with no current in the canal there was 12 million in repairs. I don't get why they used 1940s technology. Pipeline it and keep it out of the Sheyenne river if your going to have Missouri river water in Devils Lake.

Years ago I was getting off the plane in Jamestown and a lady that lives on a farm west of Creel bay told me when they got Missouri river water the plane wouldn't even stop in Jamestown anymore. She had some kind of axe to grind over the plane stopping in Jamestown. Don't know what it was. Never talked to her she just made the comment to everyone disembarking in Jamestown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_Waters_Treaty_of_1909

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
yes correct didn't we also run out of oil money to finish the canal or to keep fighting in the courts to finish

Yet Canada will still not allow drainage out of Stump Lake which would have naturally overflowed if we hadn't wasted millions on pumping water out of Devils Lake instead.

I'm tired of the USA getting bullied around by Canada. It's about time we stand up for ourselves and not always let Canada get their way. Maybe our congress members can get Trump on board to help fix this. ND nice has not worked.

This same issue goes for the souris river basin. We pay for the construction of dry dams in Canada and then they fill them up with water defeating the point of a flood control dam. We need to push back on this too.

Thanks Lunker for the back story on the DL basin.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't forget about the NAWS pipeline that's been laying in the ground for 25 years.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
www.swc.nd.gov/project_development/naws.html
In August 2017, the District of Columbia District Court ruled on the case in favor of the United States Bureau of Reclamation and the State of North Dakota. This action allows the state to move forward with construction on NAWS - pending appeal by Manitoba and Missouri.
Oh oh

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe it's a mile and a half NW of Grahams Island .

- - - Updated - - -

My memory must be getting bad. but it's in that general area

Grand Prairie Agriculture submitted an application June 19 to for a livestock waste system on a concentrated animal feeding operation to be located in Pelican Township, on the edge of the waters of Devils Lake, south of Churchs Ferry, N.D. The permit is for a planned swine farm that would produce about 44,000 piglets per year. The farm, if approved, would start with 1,928 sows.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe it's a mile and a half NW of Grahams Island .
I have caught some hogs in that area. :)

In a few years we should not hear any crying when the gov shuts them down. They may get started, but I doubt they will last when the EPA starts taking water samples at the inflow in Devils Lake. I seen this happen with a Turkey farm down by Wahpeton. As a matter of fact they sent the samples taken around that site to me. I may be retired, but I'll see to it that samples are monitored even before this site starts. I'll tell you right now the pollutants will make them shut down the pumps to the Sheyenne river. Water quality will demand it.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a solution to animal waste but the initial investment would be staggering, the technology is there it just how important does these industries mean to our local economy. Larger cities have already found ways to treat raw sewage into drinkable water it much easier to produce clean water from black water. The dry solids are treated and used as fertilizer especially for produce. It's there people
The problem with pigs is there simple stomachs pigs cannot process high protein diet efficiently which comes from grains especially GMO grains like corn. There are studies showing what the effects of hybrid geo corn does to a pig digestive system.
When I was a kid we raised pigs and I can tell you from experience a high protein diet of corn byproduct and barley. Well.when they sh $t it's very volital it's the same with humans

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lucky my uncle who had a pile of pigs lived a mile south east of us. Downwind more would have been bad.

Lunk can they process out nitrogen? My wife and I spent some time one winter in Texas. We spent a couple of days on River Walk in San Antonio. They bragged about their recycled water. They had expensive restaurants bordering the canal. We ate at an expensive restaurant and most of my dinner was carried away on the plate. It reeked and I couldn't eat. They said it was so clean you could drink it. Only if you didn't have a nose or taste buds I guess. I have read and been around these miraculous water recycling projects. The articles don't agree with my nose.

I am sure our state health department will be told to keep their mouth shut. They would not even tell me what was in my well when they tested it. My well, and they refused to tell me. So I think I will talk with EPA in Denver and see if their people monitoring the water near the pumps have taken any samples of the watershed where this is scheduled to be built.

Last edited:

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Lucky my uncle who had a pile of pigs lived a mile south east of us. Downwind more would have been bad.

Lunk can they process out nitrogen? My wife and I spent some time one winter in Texas. We spent a couple of days on River Walk in San Antonio. They bragged about their recycled water. They had expensive restaurants bordering the canal. We ate at an expensive restaurant and most of my dinner was carried away on the plate. It reeked and I couldn't eat. They said it was so clean you could drink it. Only if you didn't have a nose or taste buds I guess. I have read and been around these miraculous water recycling projects. The articles don't agree with my nose.

I am sure our state health department will be told to keep their mouth shut. They would not even tell me what was in my well when they tested it. My well, and they refused to tell me. So I think I will talk with EPA in Denver and see if their people monitoring the water near the pumps have taken any samples of the watershed where this is scheduled to be built.

Plainsman as usual agriculture has changexd a bit since you were running a 2 bottom plow and packer including confinement hog operations.

How much do you actually even know about the regulations within our state? I am betting it is like most other things and not much.

Your stories are ........well just that.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pg it's a half an hour long video but it's possible

Hyperion treatment plant in Los angeles CA
www.lacitysan.org/san/faces/home/po...&_afrWindowMode=0&_adf.ctrl-state=v5dff2c3w_4

www.nijhuisindustries.com/reference...atment-plant-for-animal-by-products-producer/

This is a mobile plant that can be brought on site
Like I said there is technology that can be used to utilize the animal waste from the animal to the pot able water which can be drained into devils lake. This water in my opinion is easier to treat then the runoff from big farm fields

- - - Updated - - -

Ps also make sure we have a quilifed concrete inspector as well as tester to make sure the concrete being used is passing all standard aci tests.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
PG said, I seen this happen with a Turkey farm down by Wahpeton. As a matter of fact they sent the samples taken around that site to me.

I call BS. Some time ago you told a story of a weed technician guy who sprayed Tordon 22k right by your well. You had someone from the State take the sample and send it in. Why didn't the all knowing one do it yourself?

I may be retired, but I'll see to it that samples are monitored even before this site starts.

Huff Puff and Fluff.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The greater ramsey county water district paid to have these wetlands drained all the coulees that drain into devils lake have been dug out to allow for the water to end up in devils lake. Yes farmers made a big mess of the basin but the mcluski sheyanne diversion was supposed to allow for devils lake to have a natural outlet where the diversion waters would have been used for all sorts of irrigation though out the basin as well as parts of the red river valley basin. It didn't happen that way unfortunately and still the coulees get cleaned out when they need to as well as larger culvert to handle the runoff.
It was one big pipe dream that turned into one big mess for some

That's interesting , I was always under the impression that it was farmers alone that were behind the draining . If anyone can remember how ugly Devils Lake water used to get in the late summer many years ago it was pretty sad, I swear there were pieces of toilet paper floating around from raw discharge . Just to bad that one problem led to another, installing and running the pumping systems cost a ton of money . A few small dams or even a few ditch plugs would have went a long ways when draining the wetlands but I suppose it was all or none at the time. Who "owns"/ operates the pumps on the south end ? Is it The greater ramsey county water district ? That seems like a big operation that is seldom talked about and kept out of sight-out of mind. I forget what the cost to operate was but I almost fell off my chair when I heard. As far as the pig operation , To each their own I guess but there have been many lawsuits over the years against hog operation locations and I doubt that the farmers ever lost one of them so it will take some getting used to the smell for a lot of lake people. I'd like to think that most producers would agree that its a bad location for pig barns and move on but then there's always some that are up for a challenge and do things just to show that they can.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey it's been awhile so that maybe the case for farmers to drain thier wetlands but the coules and Channel A where dug out by the general funding of the garrison diversion. So the greater ramsey county water board still maintains the upkeep of the coulees up stream. It was all a plan to help devils lake with tourism so I know it was discussed on the other site in better detail but it is ancient history now.
Also if you ever look at Google earth you can see huge channels around lake alice as well as if you fish up in Irvine alice there used to be irrigation pumps that were used irrigate Irvine they are still there

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
no there was a pvt cemetery 1/2 mile away from the build site that shut it down if i remember right.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Our lakes and ponds are so polluted now with farm fertilizer a little pig crap isn't going to hurt anything

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 6
  • This month: 3
  • This month: 2
  • This month: 1